Bitcoin Forum
June 14, 2024, 08:35:38 PM *
News: Voting for pizza day contest

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Google supercomputer a threat?  (Read 4529 times)
lixer

Activity: 2548
Merit: 586

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:36:11 AM

i dont mind google would do anything to bitcoin since they didn't even accept bitcoin in their services and probably google building quantum pc for mining purpose , i have a positive thinking by the way

If this will happen, there would be more completion in bitcoin mining. More the hashes more the difficulty. Later on this will reflect on bitcoin values. So, obviously result in higher bitcoin vales. Another way of seeing this news positively.

chennan
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:41:00 AM

These computers are normally purpose built for some kind of project. The cost involved with this, would most definitely not justify it being used for Bitcoin mining. The company would

much rather use it, to support their other core businesses. Data mining and information management would be a better application and for research and development. And it was done

before, and the results was very poor for Bitcoin mining. https://bitcoinmagazine.com/articles/government-bans-professor-mining-bitcoin-supercomputer-1402002877

I quote : “In a day, Sequoia could mine about 40 dollars worth of bitcoin, but it consumes about the same amount of electricity as 4,000 homes: 8 megawatts. They would pay more money in electricity costs each day than they would earn.

Actually I think this is the only real use Google would have for these type of computers. I would think they would use them to help solidify their place as the only real source of all information to be had on the Internet... Either that or *spoiler: tinfoil hat time*

1) use it to test/produce the worlds actual first AI.

2) be in the process of making 10 or 20 of these things to centrally run nodes for their own crypto they've been secretly working on. So in a way to overthrow Bitcoin and keep the blockchain features which governments and central banks could get behind.

I know it's super conspiratorial ideas, but I've had little sleep ans the coffee is starting to kick in to begin another work day for me lol.

DavieT1337

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 08:42:51 AM

Wow 100 Million is a lot Okay  Grin MAybe google does all Day long Bitcoin Mining Cheesy who knows Wink
Anyways its amazing where the technologie goes.. so far  Roll Eyes

regards
DavieT1337

steveds
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 08:49:32 AM

I don't mine but this could affect me somehow if Google decide to use it to mine Bitcoins  Tongue
No it won't affect you in any way, Google will never use those things for such a low market cap (around 6 billion).
The amount of power and maintenance required for it to function is definitely not worth mining coins,using it for criminal world is a different story but no affect over mining.
DavieT1337

Activity: 112

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 08:53:21 AM

I don't mine but this could affect me somehow if Google decide to use it to mine Bitcoins  Tongue
No it won't affect you in any way, Google will never use those things for such a low market cap (around 6 billion).
The amount of power and maintenance required for it to function is definitely not worth mining coins,using it for criminal world is a different story but no affect over mining.

How could u know? i mean if they just do it or not - How could u proof them they arent or they do? I think this is quit not possible Wink So therefore also Google i think is very ionterested in the Bitcoin and i heard over someone they just claim and hold them awaiting the 10k incoming Cheesy
Would be great maybe for everybody - OR only for Google, not  Cool  Grin

regards
DavieT1337

LuckyYOU

Activity: 280
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 09:19:17 AM

I don't think it will have a big impact on bitcoin. Therefore, I see no threat against bitcoin in anyway.
I don't mind google doing anything with bticoin though, hopefully they will adapt to bitcoin as a company as well.

Mickeyb

Activity: 798
Merit: 1000

Move On !!!!!!

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 10:06:01 AM

I don't think it will have a big impact on bitcoin. Therefore, I see no threat against bitcoin in anyway.
I don't mind google doing anything with bticoin though, hopefully they will adapt to bitcoin as a company as well.

Yes, this is the same argument as we had in several threads lately about the quantum computers! I don't really see any threat here. If there would be a threat, trust me, all of the banks and financial systems would be very endangered, just as us.

Not to mention that we will always have time to progress and improve, change algorithms, etc, as this super computer technology advances!
MaxTax

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 10:10:58 AM

Meh, I don't think it will have any effect on bitcoin, as a threat really. I'm glad to see google being interested in this though.
They might adapt to bitcoin soon. In my eyes this is good news, not a threat at all.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 10:25:05 AM

The other aspect is with mining, and QCs are not known to have any significant advantage with hashing than classical computers. Even if they did, then when the difficulty adjusts, then the attacker would not be able to produce blocks faster than everyone else, they would still come out on average every 10 minutes.

You are wrong, if difficulty becomes higher QCs will get even higher advantage. Read section 4.2 from http://188.138.57.93/tangle.pdf.
Ketariz

Activity: 38
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 10:42:46 AM

if the Google supercomputer becomes a reality, the whole banking system will collapse before the bitcoin. The bitcoin hashing increases faster than the quantum computer.
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 11:00:30 AM

So what if google use it to start mining Bitcoin. The hash rate wouldn't be that much higher than the really good miners that are already on the market. And seriously, if google wanted to get into the Bitcoin industry, they would have done it a long time ago.
justspare

Activity: 1022
Merit: 538

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 11:03:30 AM

I don't really see this having any impact on Bitcoin. And yeah, it would be nice if google adopts bitcoin and we can use it buy things on the google play store or use it on google wallet.
croato

Activity: 616
Merit: 500

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 11:11:13 AM

I dont like Google, way how it collect data about users and power it have so yes, i am bit worried about all that. Also, AI bit scares me and i just hope they will control it and not AI will control them (along with all of us) at end.
Cendassi

Activity: 64

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 11:23:02 AM

I dont like Google, way how it collect data about users and power it have so yes, i am bit worried about all that. Also, AI bit scares me and i just hope they will control it and not AI will control them (along with all of us) at end.

How would this affect bitcoin directly though?
I don't think it will have a big impact on bitcoin as in the value itself.
croato

Activity: 616

1BkEzspSxp2zzHiZTtUZJ6TjEb1hERFdRr

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 11:52:38 AM

How would this affect bitcoin directly though?
I don't think it will have a big impact on bitcoin as in the value itself.

Think again mate, bit harder this time. If AI powered with super computers take control over communications and internet it can do what ever it want with Bitcon. Not that in such controlled environment Bitcoin would even matter much. In worst scenario AI could consider us just like parasites so figure it out.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4256
Merit: 4523

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 12:09:16 PM

average computer is 5Mhash
1000 computers is 5Ghash
1mill computers is 5Thash
100mill is 500Thash

so google is only half a Phash

currently bitcoin network is 700Phash

making google, if it decided to mine bitcoin.. be only 0.071%(1 of 1400th) of the hashrate.

meaning if it were mining.. the most it would get is 0.01785714 bitcoins (<$8) per block

yet i bet it costs google alot more to run their supercomputer converting it to mine bitcoins, then a dedicated asic miner would
EG ANTMINER S7 BATCH 8 - 106 units totalling under $200,000 would outperform googles multimillion supercomputer

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
bob123
Legendary

Activity: 1624
Merit: 2481

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 12:18:22 PM

Quantum computer may be a threat.. but until then.. its safe

Lauda
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 2965

Terminated.

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2015, 01:12:59 PM

Here we go again. Please use the search function next time. This has been discussed several times. 3600 times faster than a supercomputer is not nearly enough to do anything significant.

"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"
😼 Bitcoin Core (onion)
HostSurf

Activity: 224
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 02:15:09 PM

I don't think it's a direct threat to bitcoin. I don't see how everyone thinks it's a threat when it's really not.
How would it effect the value of bitcoin exactly?
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 11, 2015, 03:09:42 PM

i dont mind google would do anything to bitcoin since they didn't even accept bitcoin in their services and probably google building quantum pc for mining purpose , i have a positive thinking by the way

sure, but count on it that although Google ignores Bitcoin publicly they are most likely all over it secretly and NOT calling their punches.  I find Googles silence both troubling and exciting  Huh

I love Bitcoin
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: