Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 02:56:35 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Solo mining on an Antminer U3  (Read 2522 times)
anon2903 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:26:07 AM

I decided to start solo mining on an Antminer U3! I am using CKPool to do it and I'm using my Raspberry Pi as a controller. This is my stats so far:
{"hashrate1m": "67.3G", "hashrate5m": "63.7G", "hashrate1hr": "58.9G", "hashrate1d": "9.64G", "hashrate7d": "1.53G", "lastupdate": 1449912061, "workers": 1, "shares": 219756, "bestshare": 514557.60289778293, "bestever": 514557}
It has been running for 4 hours and cgminer says the difficulty is 50.

If you want to watch my stats: http://solo.ckpool.org/users/1MEWxQE7nyX5rTsnQxr9NmFdCVdMZQ5fkz
And I see what people mean when they say the U3 is unstable. The hash rate is varying between 50 and 68 Ghash/s (according to CKPool)

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The trust scores you see are subjective; they will change depending on who you have in your trust list.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
anon2903 (OP)

Activity: 5
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 09:34:37 AM

Is the hash rate that the pool shows you inaccurate, because my hashrate is apparently at 82.9 GHash/s and I haven't overclocked:
{"hashrate1m": "82.9G"

Now 2 minutes later it has dropped to 53.1:
{"hashrate1m": "53.1G"

If the pool (CKPool) hashrate is accurate, clearly the U3 is very unstable.
BTCBinary

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 04:19:58 PM

Is that profitable??? I guess you would take a few years to find a block. Have you found one already or have you already quit this strategy?
USB-S

Activity: 574
Merit: 250

In XEM we trust

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 05:13:17 PM

Is that profitable??? I guess you would take a few years to find a block. Have you found one already or have you already quit this strategy?
if he's lucky a few years, if he's not a few decades. But considering that U3 doesn't consume that much electricity, it's a fun experiment.

````````````````████████
_`````````██████████████████████
_`````█████████████████████████████
_```█████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_█████████```````████████```````████████
_███████````████````██`````███````███████
_██████````████████`````████████``███████
_██████````██████````██``██████```███████
_███████```````````████``````````████████
_██████████████████████████████████████
_``████████████████████████████████████
_```_████████████████████████████████
_``````████████████████████████████
_`````````3█████████████████████
play.infinity
        Eжeднeвный ДЖEКПOT
TELEGRAM CHAT   SITE   TELEGRAM
                   Get free eth
iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 05:43:12 PM

~170 years but that's at today's difficulty.  I think it is safe to assume difficulty will increase slightly between now and then.

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.
Laviathon

Activity: 481
Merit: 264

BCMonster.com BTC ZEN HUSH KMD ARRR VRSC ACH RFOX

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2015, 06:52:59 PM

~170 years but that's at today's difficulty.  I think it is safe to assume difficulty will increase slightly between now and then.

Yea it looks like the next difficulty will be close to 100.

BCMonster.com BTC, KMD, ZEN, HUSH, RFox, ARRR, ACH, VRSC <cpu> -   /  Easy Live Dashboards   / Looking for Miners! Join our Discord
robelneo
Legendary

Activity: 3192
Merit: 1199

Play Bitcoin PVP Prediction Game

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2015, 08:17:58 AM

The concept of solo mining scares me because of the difficulty but I will look on it the price of antminers really go down on ebay my strategy has been investing on programs that has bitcoin as one of their payment processor.
Had a good success on it just really have to do a good research on what programs are worth investing ..

..BITWINUP..
▄▄████████▄▄
▄████████████████▄
▄██████░░██░░████████▄
██████░░░░░░░░░▀████████
█████████░░████▄░░████████
▐█████████░░████▀░░████████▌
▐█████████░░░░░░░░░░▀██████▌
▐█████████░░███████░░██████▌
███████▀▀░░▀▀▀▀▀▀░░▄██████
██████▄▄░░▄▄░░▄▄▄███████
▀██████▄▄██▄▄████████▀
▀████████████████▀
▀▀████████▀▀
UP OR DOWN?
.BITCOIN. PVP PREDECTION GAME

VS
▄███████████████████████▄
██                     ██
██  █████████████████  ██
██  ▀▀  ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄  ▀▀  ██
█▀  ▄███████████████▄  ▀█
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███▀███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██  ▄▄▄▄▄ ███ ███ ▄▄▄▄▄  ██
██  █████▄ ▀███▀ ▄█████  ██
██  ███████▄▄▄▄▄███████  ██
██  ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀  ██
███████████████████████████
MONTHLY
JACKPOT
▄▄█████████▄▄
▄█████████████████▄
▄█████▀▀██████████████▄
▄███▀░░▄▄░░▀▀███████████▄
▄███░░▄█████▄░████████████▄
████░░▀██████▀▀░░░░░▀██████
█████▄░░▀▀▀░░▄▄████▄░░█████
▀███████▄▄▄██░▀█████░░████▀
▀███████████▄░░▀▀▀░░▄███▀
▀█████████████▄▄▄█████▀
▀█████████████████▀
▀▀█████████▀▀
.Play to earn Crypto.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 10:29:32 AM

no way where is your source? we are at 80B now, 100 would mean 25% more, which is crazy for a single volley

maybe 90B would be more accurate and still very high, it would destroy the profit a bit
iglasses
Legendary

Activity: 1148

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 02:07:18 PM

no way where is your source? we are at 80B now, 100 would mean 25% more, which is crazy for a single volley

maybe 90B would be more accurate and still very high, it would destroy the profit a bit

Meh...I think it's splitting hairs a bit.  Next diff. est. is ~93g
When you are solo mining with an Antminer U3 do you really think 93 vs. 100 makes a difference?  lol

I only have a signature because I'm allowed.
bctmke

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 04:11:42 PM

People's references to the stability really revolve around the fact that the device WILL zombie on you and you'll have to reset it fairly regularly (generally *at least* once a day).

NXS is on the move!   Come subscribe to our subreddit  https://www.reddit.com/r/nexusearth/
Come mine NXS at http://nxsminingpool.com
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 04:14:51 PM

Meh...I think it's splitting hairs a bit.  Next diff. est. is ~93g
When you are solo mining with an Antminer U3 do you really think 93 vs. 100 makes a difference?  lol

well not but it increase your chance by 25% to hit a block, and you don't want that since with solo you already need a shit load of luck to heat the jackpot

with pool you will lose 20% of your earning, which is quite a lot fi you ask me(around 0.18 with a s7 in a month, of loss...)
wadili89
Legendary

Activity: 1106

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 05:53:22 AM

well yeah then start today and the kids of your kids will take something from it still if you are lucky to find a block and untill that time you would have burn 10x electricity what you gonna get after o not a good move

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 12:16:44 AM

well yeah then start today and the kids of your kids will take something from it still if you are lucky to find a block and untill that time you would have burn 10x electricity what you gonna get after o not a good move

These are pretty low power machines I think it is funner to solo mine them.  Lucky or not 50-60 GH is just not a ton of hash if you point at pool...  that is just small.

I have 3 U3's all solo for fun, I don't expect a return from them but I enjoy them.  My compacs are funner as they use less electricity.  I just think certain miners are so small they are best for learning or solo.   
timk225

Activity: 955
Merit: 1004

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 06:56:23 PM

To show how insanely difficult mining has gotten, this U3 cranks out 68 Ghash.  That is 68 BILLION calculations per second, and that is considered to be nearly nothing by today's standards.  Even a single S3 at 440 Ghash is quite low in terms of output.

Yet people continue to dump insane amounts of money into miners, as is evidenced by the recent huge jump in difficulty, from 79 BILLION to 93 BILLION in one shot, with around 677 PETAHASH of total mining going on.

A fool and his money are soon parted.  

notlist3d - you think it is FUN to mine with low powered machines?  Let me tell you my idea of fun.  Making money.  Not what you are doing.
winspiral
Legendary

Activity: 1778
Merit: 1026

Free WSPU2 Token or real dollars

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2015, 07:05:34 PM

To show how insanely difficult mining has gotten, this U3 cranks out 68 Ghash.  That is 68 BILLION calculations per second, and that is considered to be nearly nothing by today's standards.  Even a single S3 at 440 Ghash is quite low in terms of output.

Yet people continue to dump insane amounts of money into miners, as is evidenced by the recent huge jump in difficulty, from 79 BILLION to 93 BILLION in one shot, with around 677 PETAHASH of total mining going on.

notlist3d - you think it is FUN to mine with low powered machines?  Let me tell you my idea of fun.  Making money.  Not what you are doing.

I mine for the fun with ONE U2 (not solo)(lol)
I earn 300 satoshi  (or so) per day...

Meuh6879
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 10:28:37 PM

People's references to the stability really revolve around the fact that the device WILL zombie on you and you'll have to reset it fairly regularly (generally *at least* once a day).

i confirm this, too ...  Angry

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 04:56:47 AM

notlist3d - you think it is FUN to mine with low powered machines?  Let me tell you my idea of fun.  Making money.  Not what you are doing.

You obviously have not read many threads with me in it.  I find it fun to run a few... and I expect 0 back that is true.

For my real mining area I do respect a ROI and profit.  But I spent a heck of a lot more on it and the miners in it then 3 U3's and some compacs.   You should do a little research in all honesty.

If you don't find tinkering and playing with miners fun... you are the one doing it wrong.  I enjoy mining even my solo miners that likely never see payback.  Funny thing is one day when I get board I likely will get a decent part of my money selling the U3's and compac's.  And I  got the fun of playing with the U3's and compacs.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: