Bitcoin Forum
March 28, 2024, 04:46:38 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: mining is crap, the blockchain should compensate for electricity costs otherwis-  (Read 1414 times)
justbeingmanan (OP)

Activity: 10
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:41:03 PM

-e whats the point there should be compensation to cover the costs of mining the fee structure should be raised so what if the fee is 1 cent thats still better than paying 30% on bank fees

i can't even mine at home anymore well i can but i would be at a net loss whats the incentive???

well years ago it was worth it but as mining becomes industrial even the industrials will lose the incentive at least let the [Suspicious link removed]pensate for 50% electricity costs something needs to be done i want to mine again with my dusty s1

satoshi really fucked up on the fee structure he should of calculated it to scale with electricity costs bitcoin will be doomed otherwise... no miners... no security... no transaction process

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
nonbody

Activity: 826
Merit: 501

2local[IEO] - https://2local.io/

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 12:51:17 PM

-e whats the point there should be compensation to cover the costs of mining the fee structure should be raised so what if the fee is 1 cent thats still better than paying 30% on bank fees

i can't even mine at home anymore well i can but i would be at a net loss whats the incentive???

well years ago it was worth it but as mining becomes industrial even the industrials will lose the incentive at least let the [Suspicious link removed]pensate for 50% electricity costs something needs to be done i want to mine again with my dusty s1

satoshi really fucked up on the fee structure he should of calculated it to scale with electricity costs bitcoin will be doomed otherwise... no miners... no security... no transaction process
Mining becomes industrial. The one who is able to get cheap electricity will make profits. As bitcoin's price is increasing, some miners probably will be attracted to turn on their machines or upgrade their old ones.   

░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄████████████████████▄
█████▀░░░░░░░░░░████████
▐█████▄████████░░███████▌
████████▀▀██████░░████████
████████▄▄█████░░░████████
██████████████░░░█████████
▐███████▀░░░░░░▄█████████▌
██████▀▐███████████████
░░▀███░░░░░░░░░░░░░████▀
░░░░▀████████████████▀
░░░░░░▀▀▀████████▀▀▀

2local
Sustainability and Prosperity.
Pre sale is going on
...J O I N...
...Whitepaper...
░░░░░░▄▄▄████████▄▄▄
░░░░▄████████████████▄
░░▄████████████████████▄
█████▀░░░░░░░░░░████████
▐█████▄████████░░███████▌
████████▀▀██████░░████████
████████▄▄█████░░░████████
██████████████░░░█████████
▐███████▀░░░░░░▄█████████▌

I   E   O IN Livecoin.net  Probit  P2pPb2b from 11/02/2020
2local Sale
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1023

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 02:23:28 PM

LOL!  The blockchain should compensate... hahaha!

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
MRKLYE
Legendary

Activity: 1358
Merit: 1003

Designer - Developer

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2015, 02:50:11 PM

^ 100x This. I love when noobs come onto the forums and try to change things without even so much as understanding how this shit actually works.

OP, Do a little bit more research before you come on the forums spouting absolutely retarded shit (for lack of a better term, no offence) they know 0 about.

Honestly you should likely look into how exactly mining works and the evolution of it in the past few years before you come and gum up the forums with absolute bull-bollucks like this. Welcome to the forums..

▄▄███████████▄▄
▄████▀▀`````````▀▀████▄
███▀```````````````````▀███
███`````````````````````````███
██```````````██``██````````````██
██````````▄▄▄▄██▄▄██▄▄▄▄`````````██
██`````````▀██████████████▄````````██
██`````````````███`````▀████`````````██
▐█▌`````````````███`````▄███▀`````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███████████▄``````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄````````▐█▌
▐█▌`````````````███```````████````````▐█▌
██`````````````███`````▄▄████````````██
██`````````▄██████████████▀````````██
██````````▀▀▀▀██▀▀██▀▀▀▀`````````██
██```````````██``██````````````██
███`````````````````````````███
███▄```````````````````▄███
▀████▄▄`````````▄▄████▀
▀▀███████████▀▀
FREE
BITCOINS.com

`````````▄
````````▄█▄
``````▄█████▄
`````█████████
```▄███████████▄
``███████████████
`█████████████████
███████████████████
███████████████████
██▌▀███████████████
`██``▀████████████
``██▄```▀████████
```▀███▄▄`█████▀
``````▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

FAUCET
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

``````````````````▄▄▄▄▄▄
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````````````██████
``````````██████``██████
``````````██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████
``██████``██████``██████

██████████████████████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

XCHANGE
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀

```````````▄
`````````▄██
```````▄████
`````▄██████████▄
`````▀███████████▄
```````▀████``▀████
█``````▄`▀██````▀██
██▄````██▄`▀``````█
████▄``████▄
`▀███████████▄
``▀██████████▀
```````████▀
```````██▀
```````▀

SWAP
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
p3yot33at3r

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 03:09:23 PM

-e whats the point....

Sorry you missed the boat - by about 2 years  Wink
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 04:17:35 PM

You would need to get new gear.  You cannot expect generations old gear to work today in normal situation.  You cant unplug a miner for a long period then want to mine it again.

Sell the S1 to someone with free or cheap electricity.  There is no way with regular electricity it makes sense to run a S1.
lumeire
Legendary

Activity: 1848
Merit: 1009

Next-Gen Trade Racing Metaverse

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 04:24:16 PM

Sell the S1 to someone with free or cheap electricity.  There is no way with regular electricity it makes sense to run a S1.

Better yet get yourself an extension cord then plug it in a public establishment, or bring it in your office and mine there.

At least thats what Im doing with my old miners.  Grin

▄▄████████▄▄           ▄▄████████▄▄
    ▄▄████████████████▄▄   ▄▄████████████████▄▄
  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█████  ▄███████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀███████▄
 ▄█████▀            ▀█  ▄█████▀            ▀█████▄
▄█████▀                ▄█████▀    ▄▄        ▀█████▄
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▄▄     ▐█████
█████▌                 █████▌     ████▀▀     ▐█████
▀█████▄      ▄▄▄      █████▀      ▀▀        ▄█████▀
 ▀█████▄▄   █████    █████▀  █▄            ▄█████▀
  ▀██████████████ ██████▀▀  █████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████▀
    ▀▀███████████ ████▀    ▀▀████████████████▀▀
        ▀▀███████ ▀▀           ▀▀████████▀▀
            ▀███▀
|
..NEXT-GEN TRADE RACING METAVERSE..
|   WEBSITE   |   TELEGRAM   |   TWITTER   |   MEDIUM   |
►►  Powered by
BOUNTY
DETECTIVE
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456

View Profile
December 12, 2015, 07:12:59 PM

Better yet get yourself an extension cord then plug it in a public establishment, or bring it in your office and mine there.

At least thats what Im doing with my old miners.  Grin

In a lot of cases this would cause loss of job.  Bringing in unauthorized equipment in a lot of places is a no-no.

I'm not sure what type of place you work in but normally these outside devices scare companies.  And they will want to keep them off of the network.
hazenyc

Activity: 668
Merit: 257

View Profile
December 15, 2015, 07:21:36 PM

um.. it does compensate. In the form of 25 BTC per block.. Apologies if your mining hardware is not competitive at this price/difficulty combination, but there's A LOT of hashpower at there that is turning BTC --> $$$
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2015, 04:50:34 AM

Um... no, the blockchain most certainly does not compensate you.  It also doesn't care that a dusty old S1 is too power hungry to be turning a profit.  The blockchain is nothing more than a distributed ledger that records transactions, which are grouped into blocks and verified by proof of work.

Jonny's Pool - Mine with us and help us grow!  Support a pool that supports Bitcoin, not a hardware manufacturer's pockets!  No SPV cheats.  No empty blocks.
Lumada

Activity: 520

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 07:44:47 AM

The fee is already higher than a few years ago. Mining is not for high electricity cost miners now. If you pay over $0.2/kwh, it is better to stop mining.

OOOBTC.com

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬

Bounty
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 09:58:54 AM

Why should you be compensated for living in an area with high electric rates?
 That is YOUR choice.

Nobody ever guarenteed that mining would always be profitable for everyone.

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 10:40:01 AM

there is only one thing that compensate you and it is the demand, higher demand better price, higher fee which translate in more reward for you

that's it, do not search for other profit, miners already can earn a lot of profit, with merged mining activity if their bills is cheap
Bitfirm

Activity: 43
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 10:58:06 AM

move to smaller coins
lihuajkl
Legendary

Activity: 1596

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 11:21:47 AM

There is no point for doing that at least the difficulty is still increasing and more mining machines are joining it. The number of bitcoin transactions per second is trending up. The collected tx fees becomes more to reward miners than before. Many miners are still getting a lot of profits. And bitcoin price continues to move up. It is all goods news.
hazenyc

Activity: 668
Merit: 257

View Profile
December 17, 2015, 12:21:44 PM

Um... no, the blockchain most certainly does not compensate you.  It also doesn't care that a dusty old S1 is too power hungry to be turning a profit.  The blockchain is nothing more than a distributed ledger that records transactions, which are grouped into blocks and verified by proof of work.

Producing oil is still profitable for some, even at these low prices. Is oil a cruel bitch because now all the expensive shale oil operations incur daily losses at these prices? No! The market compensates the low-cost producers, in economics this is called competition. If you find oil should you go dig for it with a shovel and a soda straw? No! Your old S1 is a shovel. The S7s and 16nm tech are the low-cost producers today and it's they who get compensated. The blockchain is a ledger yes, but the validation of this ledger by mining is compensated with the block reward. So it compensates *somebody*, but it may not be you.
medUSA
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1003

--Signature Designs-- http://bit.ly/1Pjbx77

View Profile WWW
December 17, 2015, 12:34:18 PM

Miners are rewarded with the block reward, miners are being compensated. It's just that the competition is high, you did get the reward with an outdated inefficient miner. Plenty of miners have their electricity cost covered and profiting. You cannot expect a reward structure which pays everyone who switches on their old dusty miner.

That is a cost of mining equipment issue, not a block reward issue  Wink
jonnybravo0311
Legendary

Mine at Jonny's Pool

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2015, 03:08:50 PM

Producing oil is still profitable for some, even at these low prices. Is oil a cruel bitch because now all the expensive shale oil operations incur daily losses at these prices? No! The market compensates the low-cost producers, in economics this is called competition. If you find oil should you go dig for it with a shovel and a soda straw? No! Your old S1 is a shovel. The S7s and 16nm tech are the low-cost producers today and it's they who get compensated. The blockchain is a ledger yes, but the validation of this ledger by mining is compensated with the block reward. So it compensates *somebody*, but it may not be you.
I'm well aware of the concept of competition Smiley.  All I'm doing is correcting your terminology.  The blockchain DOES NOT compensate you, me or anybody else regardless if I've got an S7 or my CPU mining.  It is a distributed public ledger that records the transactions, including the generation of the block rewards.

There are two things that provide me compensation as a miner: the block reward for the generation of the new block, which by the way is only going to happen until 21,000,000 total BTC have been created, and fees associated to the transactions that were included in that block.

Lumada

Activity: 520

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 08:29:49 AM

There is no point for doing that at least the difficulty is still increasing and more mining machines are joining it. The number of bitcoin transactions per second is trending up. The collected tx fees becomes more to reward miners than before. Many miners are still getting a lot of profits. And bitcoin price continues to move up. It is all goods news.

If the miners do not feel they are rewarded, they can turn off the miners. The remaining miners will have higher rewards each.

OOOBTC.com

▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ ●  ● ▬▬▬▬▬▬

Bounty
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: