Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 08:06:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: OneSwarm - privacy preserving p2p  (Read 3069 times)
em3rgentOrdr (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2010, 12:01:00 AM

BitTorrent + distributed darcnet...very nice!  Ensuring anonymity without disrupting performance has always been an issue with p2p filesharing.  I'm wondering if there would be a way to use this for bitcoin strorage, trading, sharing, backingup, escrow, banking, or use it an anonymnyzing shared account.

From http://oneswarm.cs.washington.edu/index.html:
Overview

Although widely used, currently popular peer-to-peer (P2P) applications offer no user privacy. By design, services like BitTorrent and Gnutella share data with anyone that asks for it, allowing a third-party to systematically monitor user behavior. As a result, using a P2P network means that your online activities become public knowledge.

OneSwarm is a new peer-to-peer tool that provides users with explicit control over their privacy by letting them determine how data is shared. Instead of sharing data indiscriminately, data shared with OneSwarm can be made public, it can be shared with friends, shared with some friends but not others, and so forth. We call this friend-to-friend (F2F) data sharing. OneSwarm is:

Privacy preserving: OneSwarm uses source address rewriting to protect user privacy. Instead of always transmitting data directly from sender to receiver (immediately identifying both), OneSwarm may forward data through multiple intermedaries, obscuring the identity of both sender and receiver. For more details, check out the OneSwarm overview screencast or our papers.
User friendly: OneSwarm’s interface is web-based and supports real-time transcoding of many audio and video formats for in-browser playback, eliminating the need for casual users to master a new application’s interface or search for custom media codecs.
Open: OneSwarm is freely available and built on existing standards. OneSwarm can operate as a fully backwards compatible BitTorrent client, and its friend-to-friend data sharing features are built on cryptographic standards, e.g., X.509 certificates and SSL encryption.
For more details, check out FAQ, wiki, forum, and screencasts.

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2010, 12:59:54 AM

Nice.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Anonymous

September 27, 2010, 02:56:08 AM

That's epic.
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2010, 03:47:29 AM

It's not loading the file for me? What could be wrong? Should be a popular file and it came up in search.

chaord

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 27, 2010, 05:24:24 AM

Could this be the base project for a bitcoin enabled file sharing service as discussed in the other thread?
Anonymous

September 27, 2010, 05:56:51 AM

Could this be the base project for a bitcoin enabled file sharing service as discussed in the other thread?

It could be....I cant find an api for the project. Contacting them directly might be the way to go.
em3rgentOrdr (OP)

Activity: 434
Merit: 251

youtube.com/ericfontainejazz now accepts bitcoin

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2010, 07:51:20 AM

It could be....I cant find an api for the project. Contacting them directly might be the way to go.

Good idea.  Note that this is Washington University research just published less than a month ago, and the program version is only 0.7, even though it has been used for a year and has been downloaded a hundred-thousand times.  I think this OneSwam has great potential because (1) it allows customized privacy per-file and per-search, (2) has performance almost comparable to regular bittorrent, and (3) is compatible with regular bittorrents (so there is already a large base of files connected to the network from the get go).

But yeah, this could be the base project for a bitcoin enabled file sharing service as discussed in the other thread.

Anyway, I haven't even tried this out yet myself.  I would be happy to friend anyone on this bitcoin forum (preferably those with at least two stars under their name)...

"We will not find a solution to political problems in cryptography, but we can win a major battle in the arms race and gain a new territory of freedom for several years.

Governments are good at cutting off the heads of a centrally controlled networks, but pure P2P networks are holding their own."
FreeMoney
Legendary

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 27, 2010, 08:01:08 AM

Good idea.  Note that this is Washington University research just published less than a month ago, and the program version is only 0.7, even though it has been used for a year and has been downloaded a hundred-thousand times.  I think this OneSwam has great potential because (1) it allows customized privacy per-file and per-search, (2) has performance almost comparable to regular bittorrent, and (3) is compatible with regular bittorrents (so there is already a large base of files connected to the network from the get go).

But yeah, this could be the base project for a bitcoin enabled file sharing service as discussed in the other thread.

Anyway, I haven't even tried this out yet myself.  I would be happy to friend anyone on this bitcoin forum (preferably those with at least two stars under their name)...

Oh, am I not downloading anything because I have no friends?

Anonymous

September 27, 2010, 08:25:59 AM

Im up for it  Cheesy
chaord

Activity: 218
Merit: 101

View Profile
September 27, 2010, 01:47:24 PM

I will try it too.
Anonymous

September 28, 2010, 04:43:13 AM

Good idea.  Note that this is Washington University research just published less than a month ago, and the program version is only 0.7, even though it has been used for a year and has been downloaded a hundred-thousand times.  I think this OneSwam has great potential because (1) it allows customized privacy per-file and per-search, (2) has performance almost comparable to regular bittorrent, and (3) is compatible with regular bittorrents (so there is already a large base of files connected to the network from the get go).

Anyway, I haven't even tried this out yet myself.  I would be happy to friend anyone on this bitcoin forum (preferably those with at least two stars under their name)...

Oh, am I not downloading anything because I have no friends?

We might need to bootstrap this.

noagendamarket (at) gmail.com
SmokeTooMuch
Legendary

Activity: 860
Merit: 1021

View Profile
September 28, 2010, 10:06:54 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2010, 10:32:28 PM by SmokeTooMuch

I've tried it two years ago.
In my opinion Alliance is way better (but doesn't work with torrents), but if all of you are using OneSwarm now I will give it another try.

Date Registered: 2009-12-10 | I'm using GPG, pm me for my public key. | Bitcoin on Reddit: https://www.reddit.com/r/btc
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: