Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:25:53 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2012-11-26 New Scientist - Virtual economy looms as digital cash grows up  (Read 2489 times)
Schleicher (OP)

Activity: 675
Merit: 513

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 05:53:06 PM

http://www.newscientist.com/article/mg21628925.200-virtual-economy-looms-as-digital-cash-grows-up.html?full=true
Nice article. They even mention the ASICs.
Printed version in New Scientist Issue number 2892.

Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 06:08:25 PM

Lets you only read it when you have a login. Can you quote the most important parts?

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
damnek

Activity: 614
Merit: 500

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 06:12:02 PM

From waspoza on Reddit:

https://i.imgur.com/4F07E.png
https://i.imgur.com/wlYsD.png
Akka
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1001

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 06:18:52 PM
Last edit: November 26, 2012, 08:09:00 PM by Akka

Thank you.

Yes, that's the nice article. In fact, that's the kind of article that gets people to get interested and do some research and build their own opinion.

Clear facts, without any writer opinions in it. You don't read that very often lately.

Like it.

All previous versions of currency will no longer be supported as of this update
Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 08:07:34 PM

Hey, if you'd tip the author with Bitcoins you might as well sign up. It's what they want and it's not a lot to reward people who are writing accurate and balanced articles. I signed up rather than use the screenshots and it took like 20 seconds.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 09:01:55 PM

Hey, if you'd tip the author with Bitcoins you might as well sign up. It's what they want and it's not a lot to reward people who are writing accurate and balanced articles. I signed up rather than use the screenshots and it took like 20 seconds.

Why hand over your personal information for free?

They need readers more than you need your reading habits data-mined ... imho.

ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 09:05:36 PM

Nice,
hopefully the ASIC companies really deliver...lets hope for the best Smiley
jgarzik
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1091

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 09:08:28 PM

Indeed.  The email registration is free, just to read that article.  And it sends a message that they are writing good material.

Jeff Garzik, Bloq CEO, former bitcoin core dev team; opinions are my own.
Visit bloq.com / metronome.io
Donations / tip jar: 1BrufViLKnSWtuWGkryPsKsxonV2NQ7Tcj
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 09:20:41 PM

Indeed.  The email registration is free, just to read that article.  And it sends a message that they are writing good material.

It is not really "free" ... you have to hand over personal information, which as we all well know, is valuable to them.

(E.g. They could set up a bitcoin tip jar and allow anonymous reads if they need feedback on material quality.)

Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
November 26, 2012, 10:02:29 PM

They require a name and an email address, hardly personal information. Anyone can get that from me just by asking, I don't believe public addresses are private information.

I'll unsubscribe from their newsletter when they spam me, unless it turns out to be good. No harm done.

Why do it? Er, well, because as creators of that work I believe they have a moral right to ask for something in return for it. I found the terms of their deal acceptable so I complied with them. That's like asking why would I not grab an apple from the fruit store as I walk past it, even though I won't be caught and it's just an apple.
ECore

Activity: 420
Merit: 252

https://ubikiri.com/

View Profile WWW
November 26, 2012, 10:29:49 PM

LOL at the banks saying that they may have to regulate bitcoin if it gets any more popular.   Roll Eyes

Integrated Distributed Ledgers
A whole world of different blockchains living together in a single network based on DAG. No more gates, bridges, portals or special nodes connecting blockchains into a single whole. Only one p2p network, consisting of blockchains of various types: from private for state and corporate networks to public for crypto projects.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 03:37:35 AM

They require a name and an email address, hardly personal information. Anyone can get that from me just by asking, I don't believe public addresses are private information.

I'll unsubscribe from their newsletter when they spam me, unless it turns out to be good. No harm done.

Why do it? Er, well, because as creators of that work I believe they have a moral right to ask for something in return for it. I found the terms of their deal acceptable so I complied with them. That's like asking why would I not grab an apple from the fruit store as I walk past it, even though I won't be caught and it's just an apple.

If you don't think name and email address is personal information it is pointless to argue on much else.

Thanks for being a good citizen ... I prefer to read the free screenshot and keep my email addresses as private as possible. I resent your analogy with the apple pilfering, are you calling me a thief because I refuse to add my information to a database, that will potentially persist until I die, and choose to read a screenshot of another registrant?

FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
November 27, 2012, 06:24:36 AM

If you don't think name and email address is personal information it is pointless to argue on much else.

Thanks for being a good citizen ... I prefer to read the free screenshot and keep my email addresses as private as possible. I resent your analogy with the apple pilfering, are you calling me a thief because I refuse to add my information to a database, that will potentially persist until I die, and choose to read a screenshot of another registrant?

Heh, what do you figure happens to it when you die?

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Mike Hearn
Legendary

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 08:55:33 AM

Addresses aren't personal information, no. An address you keep to yourself is pointless. That's why my email address is on my web page along with my name, so people who want to get in touch can do. Problems caused in 13 years of doing this - none.

Anyway, New Scientist pays the people who write articles for them. To fund that they want you to sign up on their site and then see the ads they run. If you don't want to do that, ok then, just move on? I'd have thought this forum of all places would be full of people who believe in the sanctity of contracts. That's pretty much the fundamental tenet of crypto-anarchism.
auzaar

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 02:47:49 PM

marcus_of_augustus is your real name? or screen name, it could have been anything, e.g. anonymous_man, you can do same thing for reading new scientist article, so it is not about giving personal information but putting few minutes in it
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 05:03:16 PM

Yeah, an article wich start with "ILLEGAL drugs"

But it doesn't say that you can buy them with dollars too. lol

marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
November 27, 2012, 08:06:00 PM

Addresses aren't personal information, no. An address you keep to yourself is pointless. That's why my email address is on my web page along with my name, so people who want to get in touch can do. Problems caused in 13 years of doing this - none.

Anyway, New Scientist pays the people who write articles for them. To fund that they want you to sign up on their site and then see the ads they run. If you don't want to do that, ok then, just move on? I'd have thought this forum of all places would be full of people who believe in the sanctity of contracts. That's pretty much the fundamental tenet of crypto-anarchism.

You work for Google right?

Have you ever read a newspaper someone else has left behind at a cafe, bar, bus, etc?

Elxiliath

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
November 28, 2012, 04:33:57 AM

The last thing that should be allowed is for any government, country or their respective organizations to regulate bitcoin.  I may not have much in terms of coin, but I enjoy that it is free to be easily sent, spent and received. 

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BL5cYJHSEvjPo19GQa3z7Z3cCEbBY9iCee
vokain
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1019

View Profile WWW
November 30, 2012, 03:39:36 AM

Did anyone miss this author's glaring mistake in the first sentence?

If the price of gold halved overnight while the cost of mining equipment ballooned, the global economy would be plunged into chaos. This scenario is about to play out in the online peer-to-peer currency Bitcoin.

As I understand it, he's using this analogy to explain the bitcoin rate halving, but this isn't what's happening in the bitcoin economy at all. It's the rate of supply of new bitcoins  that will be halved while mining equipment  costs are going down. This might mean more miners will hop on board but there's a separate equilibrium here that governed by difficulty adjustments. Price will still be dependent upon how well people make use of the protocol Satoshi created.
Spekulatius
Legendary

Activity: 1022
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 01:30:59 AM

Did anyone miss this author's glaring mistake in the first sentence?

If the price of gold halved overnight while the cost of mining equipment ballooned, the global economy would be plunged into chaos. This scenario is about to play out in the online peer-to-peer currency Bitcoin.

As I understand it, he's using this analogy to explain the bitcoin rate halving, but this isn't what's happening in the bitcoin economy at all. It's the rate of supply of new bitcoins  that will be halved while mining equipment  costs are going down. This might mean more miners will hop on board but there's a separate equilibrium here that governed by difficulty adjustments. Price will still be dependent upon how well people make use of the protocol Satoshi created.

You are right, but I tend to read over those mistakes and ignore them, cherishing the times when they get it mostly right though.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: