Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:19:18 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: [PROPOSAL] *THE* Bitcoin Minecraft Server.  (Read 5856 times)
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
December 01, 2012, 08:39:52 AM

Mine for bitcoins.. literally!

There's already servers that gives out satoshis for mining blocks. However, you earn something like a few cents an hour. This project's goal is to make a bitcoin-backed minecraft server with a player-based economy, and lots of gameplay elements (eg factions, arenas, lotteries, spells).

How People Will Earn Bitcoins:
1. Mine for ores, and then sell them automatically to other players and earn BTC!
2. Play FUN games like spleef, fight in arenas, play lotteries, and earn BTC!
3. Join a faction and fight your enemies! Earn BTC for conquering enemies, and top factions get massive BTC!
4. Participate in official events like fishing contests to get BTC!
5. PVP people who are being hunted (by someone) and earn BTC - like a hitman!
and countless more.

How The Server Will Be Kept Running:
All bitcoins (with the sole exception of official events) comes from other players. If someone puts an offer to buy a diamond sword for 0.02 btc, then it's worth 0.02 btc. Server never loses out money except for hosting. Sure, a lot of people won't deposit any coins in, but those who want to speed it up will. And so will people in factions while they wage war. (Powerful) Spells will consume a lot of blocks, including common likes like dirt so everything is worth something.

How The Server Will Make Profit:
A small fee in the economy, donators benefits, et cetra.

Thoughts?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Be very wary of relying on JavaScript for security on crypto sites. The site can change the JavaScript at any time unless you take unusual precautions, and browsers are not generally known for their airtight security.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
super3
Legendary

Activity: 1094
Merit: 1006

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 10:51:43 PM

That actually sounds like it would be really fun, but insanely difficult to implement. What mods right now allow point based systems?
Also you might want to charge everyone a small monthly fee or even a once time at least in the beginning to get started. Just to have a fund pool to work off of. It can be something small like 0.5BTC or something.

Bitcoin Dev / Storj - Decentralized Cloud Storage. Winner of Texas Bitcoin Conference Hackathon 2014. / Peercoin Web Lead / Primecoin Web Lead / Armory Guide Author / "Am I the only one that trusts Dogecoin more than the Federal Reserve?"
markm
Legendary

Activity: 2940
Merit: 1090

View Profile WWW
December 02, 2012, 11:39:59 PM

Pay to play would certainly help ensure bitcoins are present. If it is wildly popular there should be no problem getting paying players.

If you encourage the use of botting then people can maybe feel more sure that they won't be wasting any of the time they have paid for, that other players who set up teams to ensure all their characters are kept active 24/7 will not have too much advantage over working folk who have money to pay for lots of characters but not time to actively handhold all their characters all the time.

We are looking into the logistics of doing something text mode along these lines and so far it is looking like the best model might be to fill waiting lists until a list for a particular type of server has 250 bitcoins pledged before buying hardware to run the configuration the waiting list that actually got filled is lobbying for. Basically let the prospective users vote for the type of setup they want by pledging up front so it is known for sure the hardware for it can be obtained and bandwidth arranged and so on.

-MarkM-

Browser-launched Crossfire client now online (select CrossCiv server for Galactic  Milieu)
Free website hosting with PHP, MySQL etc: http://hosting.knotwork.com/
burger

Activity: 195
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 07:39:34 AM

Is this what you are after? http://www.thebitmines.com/

SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 07:39:04 PM
Last edit: December 05, 2012, 07:51:33 PM by SgtSpike

We are talking about implementing a player-to-player Bitcoin-based economy on MinecraftCC's server... players could gain BTC by mining or placing blocks in-game as they already do, then use that BTC (or BTC they deposit) to buy blocks or items from other players.  I already see many player-to-player trades go down, but also many that are unfulfilled because the right player isn't online at the right time to make the trade happen.  Money would certainly facilitate a much larger amount of trading.

The only concern I have is that it might turn a bit into a "pay to win" scenario, which is definitely against everything the community stands for, but I think if only player-to-player trading was considered, it wouldn't get out of hand.

It'd be really awesome if the plugin developed for this could automatically match orders between players.  No shops involved, just type "/sell cobble 1000", the server would respond with "Best price for 1000 cobble: 0.00000580", the seller responds with "/sell confirm", and the trade between the players is done.  I've never played around with economies in Minecraft, so I am not sure if this is already how the bulk of economy plugins work, or if it's something never done before.  It's how I would like to see it done though.  Automatic order-matching just like a currency exchange.  Wink
🏰 TradeFortress 🏰 (OP)
Bitcoin Veteran
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1316
Merit: 1043

👻

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 08:24:50 AM

Is there any interest in investing into this project? I have plenty of ideas, however I don't feel it's a good idea to post those in public for obvious reasons.

I'm also ok to work as a developer for custom plugins, as long as I get a significant stake in the server's ownership.
fourd00rgtz

Activity: 151
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 04:56:24 PM

I read through your threads over there and thought it was a good idea. Unfortunately the low payout won't lure me from my regular server. 5x payout for supporting members (VIP+) is better but then you're just trying to earn your donation back and that would ake forever...

A+ idea tho
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 10, 2012, 06:49:43 PM

I read through your threads over there and thought it was a good idea. Unfortunately the low payout won't lure me from my regular server. 5x payout for supporting members (VIP+) is better but then you're just trying to earn your donation back and that would ake forever...

A+ idea tho
Thanks.  Payout is not as high as I'd like.  I only have so much Bitcoin I can donate to the project myself.  I have had maybe 0.25 BTC donated towards the project (thank you!), but obviously, that is not enough to sustain the project long-term.  Since this has been going a few weeks, and I have seen about how much I have been giving out each day, I estimate that I could probably double the payments while still maintaining a 1 BTC/month rate.  Still not a large amount, and still far from what I would like it to be.   I was kind of hoping for some more support from Bitcoiners interested in helping publicize Bitcoin to people brand new to it, but I can understand that not many people have extra money to just give away either.

I do hope to integrate an in-game economy soon though.  It would allow people to deposit Bitcoin and buy items from other players, or use the Bitcoin that they received from the Mine 4 BTC project (picture it like the Diablo III RMAH), potentially paving the way for people to make more money than just the mining bonus.
DuncanManagement

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
August 20, 2014, 11:05:04 PM

That actually sounds like it would be really fun, but insanely difficult to implement. What mods right now allow point based systems?
Also you might want to charge everyone a small monthly fee or even a once time at least in the beginning to get started. Just to have a fund pool to work off of. It can be something small like 0.5BTC or something.

Ya, something "small" like 240 dollars.
Vortex20000

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

sucker got hacked and screwed --Toad

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 12:37:52 PM

I can help program a plugin for wallets, prices, etc.

Point me at it!

cloverme
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1054

SpacePirate.io

View Profile WWW
August 21, 2014, 04:12:06 PM

Ya, something "small" like 240 dollars.

I'm guessing you're joking because in december 2012, btc was like $1-2 each.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: