Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:11:34 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Any mobile wallet other than blockchain?  (Read 2415 times)
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 896
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 03:06:17 AM

Hi,
I have an iPhone running the latest OS. I hate blockchain. Is there any mobile alternative? The app store has nothing, but is there a site that caters to mobile wallets?
Thanks

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The network tries to produce one block per 10 minutes. It does this by automatically adjusting how difficult it is to produce blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 05:26:59 AM
Last edit: December 03, 2012, 08:17:36 PM by Stephen Gornick

I have an iPhone running the latest OS. I hate blockchain. Is there any mobile alternative? The app store has nothing, but is there a site that caters to mobile wallets?

You can thank Apple for this.

FriendlyPay was in the App Store.   It was a nice, clean wallet app.   Apple yanked it.

WalletBit had recently submitted their mobile app.  

Denied ...  

Apps must comply with all legal requirements in any location where they are made available to users. It is the developer's obligation to understand and conform to all local laws

Of course, Apple won't say which location this might be or how what legal requirement it doesn't comply with.

So, to put it another way.  You bought a beautiful piece of mobile phone hardware made by horrible piece of shit company.

You can always use EasyWallet.org via web:
 - http://www.EasyWallet.org

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

Elxiliath

Activity: 66
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 02:44:54 PM

The blockchain app is pretty decent, it could be better I guess but it's better then nothing.  I wish apple would make an exception in this case for these apps.  I've heard of a few making passport files to import their wallet, which displays your QR code and wallet value.

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BL5cYJHSEvjPo19GQa3z7Z3cCEbBY9iCee
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 03, 2012, 03:09:21 PM

Easywallet.org works with iPhone and is also pretty fast. The only problem is that the barcodes scanner app is sometimes buggy (the "app" itself is just a web page, but works nicely in integrated way with qr code scanner). Also the app is hosted wallet and designed only for small amounts - there is a storage fee if you store more than 12BTC.

Also with the one-tap bitcoin payment option the payment can be done with one tap only, and takes about ~10 sec. So perfect for paying quickly small amounts, for example lunch.

https://easywallet.org/bitcoin_for_iphone
http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/barcodes-scanner/id417257150?mt=8

(Disclaimer: I'm the developer).

MemoryDealers
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1052
Merit: 1105

View Profile WWW
December 03, 2012, 03:21:55 PM

Why do you hate blockchain?

J-Norm

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 04, 2012, 09:08:30 PM

Apple, they want to sell you something and continue to own it. They make great hardware, then they nerf it.

I have an android, it lets me install things without the permission of the people who sold me the phone.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 02:20:22 AM

Thanks for the easywallet info.

I just find blockchain kind of confusing and not what I'm looking for. Literally I just want a BTC address and a wallet-how hard is it to make an app that does that?

And yeah, screw Apple for all that. You guys know anything about whats available if you jailbreak?
Elxiliath

Activity: 66

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 05:09:31 AM

You do have to give some credit to Apple though, without them it would have likely taken longer before we would have the control we do now over our phones.  Remember when everything you wanted to install only came from your carrier's store and it cost $5 for every crap java game they let you install? 

YinCoin YangCoin ☯☯First Ever POS/POW Alternator! Multipool! ☯ ☯ http://yinyangpool.com/ 
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=623937
Bwincoin - 100% Free POS. BL5cYJHSEvjPo19GQa3z7Z3cCEbBY9iCee
J-Norm

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 06:10:45 PM

You do have to give some credit to Apple though, without them it would have likely taken longer before we would have the control we do now over our phones.  Remember when everything you wanted to install only came from your carrier's store and it cost $5 for every crap java game they let you install? 

Yes, it is exactly the same as how they at first DRM'd their music on itunes causing non DRM competititon to quickly become available.
davout
Legendary

Activity: 1372
Merit: 1007

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 06:51:33 PM

Instawallet will work beautifully on iPhones, and it will even take advantage of the Passbook app so you can have easy and instant access to your Instawallet's QR code.

J-Norm

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 07:52:53 PM

Instawallet will work beautifully on iPhones, and it will even take advantage of the Passbook app so you can have easy and instant access to your Instawallet's QR code.

With a blockchain wallet you remain in control of your private keys. With instawallet your bitcoins are in someone elses wallet and you rely on them to give your bitcoins back when you need them.

Not saying instawallet is not trustworthy, I think they are among the oldest of the wallet services. What I am saying is that there is a fundemental difference in the security models of the two applications.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 08:35:13 PM

With a blockchain wallet you remain in control of your private keys. With instawallet your bitcoins are in someone elses wallet and you rely on them to give your bitcoins back when you need them.

Not saying instawallet is not trustworthy, I think they are among the oldest of the wallet services. What I am saying is that there is a fundemental difference in the security models of the two applications.
The difference isn't as fundamental as you might think, see here.
Comment there if you want, let's keep this thread on topic.

J-Norm

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 09:28:18 PM

The difference isn't as fundamental as you might think, see here.
Comment there if you want, let's keep this thread on topic.

I am aware of this argument, it has been brought up many times. The same could be said if you want to upgrade your local client to the new version. The answer to both is to detect change and re-authenticate when change is detected.

The fundemental difference I was talking about is that you have access to your own private keys and can move your money out even if blockchain vanishes. Blockchain wallets can be imported into any client.

You use easywallet's wallet when you use easywallet and if they vanish you cannot recover your money.
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 05, 2012, 09:33:23 PM

I am aware of this argument, it has been brought up many times. The same could be said if you want to upgrade your local client to the new version. The answer to both is to detect change and re-authenticate when change is detected.
[...]
You use easywallet's wallet when you use easywallet and if they vanish you cannot recover your money.
You made your point, now do you have alternative wallets to suggest to the OP ?

J-Norm

View Profile
December 05, 2012, 10:37:29 PM

You made your point, now do you have alternative wallets to suggest to the OP ?

Well I installed several, but on my android and they mostly sucked and I settled on the blockchain app. Apparently iphones don't have such a wide variety. This leaves web based sites... I don't know of a safer/safe alternative to the blockchain.info wallet.

Instawallet on the web browser is fine enough for a day to day wallet with limited funds. He could keep the majority on paper or on his home computer.
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
December 06, 2012, 09:17:47 AM

Thanks everyone, but this is the winner. Grin
davout
Legendary

1davout

View Profile WWW
December 06, 2012, 09:42:47 AM

Thanks everyone, but this is the winner. Grin
Just a small precision, you'll need the Scanbook app in order to send from your Instawallet by scanning QR codes.

Grecoin

Activity: 63

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 02:13:33 PM

If you are using a jailbroken iphone with Cydia, consider Mt. Gox Mobile

In BigBoss Repo,
Search for MtGox

It never worked for me though
JordanL
Donator

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 07:22:44 AM

The best I have found by a mile is Blockchain.info. May I ask what you don't like about them, and/or what features you find lacking?
johnniewalker (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 08:59:49 AM

The best I have found by a mile is Blockchain.info. May I ask what you don't like about them, and/or what features you find lacking?
its definitely not lacking any features. that was sort of the issue. i just wanted a simple wallet app. i found it w/instawallet and i do like how it works w/password app. its not a big deal, but how about an instawallet app instead of having to use safari?
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: