Bitcoin Forum
April 16, 2024, 11:17:02 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Who are the richest Bitcoin users and how much do they own?  (Read 11593 times)
ChetnotAtkins (OP)

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 03:00:59 PM

I know Satoshi is claimed to possess 1.1 million BTC (which would be an insane amount)

But who are the other really large holders and how much do they own? Roger Ver? Gavin Andresen?
I remember someone claiming that Ver owns about 300.000 BTC, is there any place where this is confirmed?

I have checked http://www.bitcoinrichlist.com but they only show adresses and we cant know with certainty which of those are connected.

Are there any confirmed large holders, who openly talk about the amount they possess?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Even in the event that an attacker gains more than 50% of the network's computational power, only transactions sent by the attacker could be reversed or double-spent. The network would not be destroyed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3444
Merit: 6083

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 03:06:51 PM

As you said , you can't get them connected to each other and most of the time people use different addresses to hold multiple amounts of bitcoins so you can't be sure how much they actually own .
Also , most of the time those big addresses are owned by companies and exchanges and not by individuals , so I'd say it's something like this :

1. Satoshi Nakamoto (If he didn't lose his private keys)
2. Mark Karpeles (If he really did the Mtgox scenario)
3. Roger Ver (If he actually owns amount you mentioned) .

As you can see I made in bold "if" because we can never be sure unless they admit that they own those amounts , and for what comes to Gavin , I don't think he holds that much . I'd he probably have less then 100 BTC .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
mexicantarget
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1043

Cypherpunk (& cyberpunk)

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 03:08:56 PM

It's impossible to know exactly. Who would brag that he's bitcoin rich? He'd put himself in danger. He would become a target for many scammers and thieves.
Those who say that are whales/bitcoin rich, probably lie for some obvious reasons.
ChetnotAtkins (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 03:10:20 PM

Yes I forgot Karpeles.

I guess it's quite possible that he has set aside a nice stash after all those years betraying his customers.
Blawpaw
Legendary

Activity: 1596
Merit: 1027

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 03:10:55 PM

The richest guy with bitcoin is Satoshi who is known to have more than a million BTC. Other than that Nick szabo, and the guy from anarkapulco should be the ones with the biggest amounts of bitcoin.
ChetnotAtkins (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 03:48:39 PM

What, never heard of 'the guy from anarkapulco' - I'll check it out.

What makes you think Szabo is a large holder? To me it seems he is more concerned with intellectual exercises than speculation, he probably invests as safe as possible.
LiteCoinGuy
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1010

In Satoshi I Trust

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2015, 03:52:07 PM

i know all accounts!

http://www.bitcoinrichlist.com/top100

.....but no names  Tongue

ATguy

Activity: 423
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 04:01:36 PM

But who are the other really large holders and how much do they own? Roger Ver? Gavin Andresen?
I remember someone claiming that Ver owns about 300.000 BTC, is there any place where this is confirmed?

Unless they confirm, you can just speculate. I believe the twins have around 100.000 BTC and Gavin Andresen around 40.000 BTC from early mining, but this I read here in the past so it can be way off, though the numbers seems reasonable.

.Liqui Exchange.Trade and earn 24% / year on BTC, LTC, ETH
....Brand NEW..........................................Payouts every 24h. Learn more at official thread
ChetnotAtkins (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 05:00:22 PM

Well, Ver is known to be one of the richest Bitcoin users and he seems to be doing fine.

True, the Winklevii claimed a couple years back to have acquired 1% of all Bitcoins if I remember correctly.
Pretty awesome.
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2015, 05:14:30 PM

Thats the beauty of bitcoin, We wont ever know who are the biggest holders.

The Young Turk
Legendary

Activity: 1176
Merit: 1013

DAVID CHAUM's xx coin SALE IS NOW LIVE!

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 05:19:31 PM

Why do you care?
Also you can't decide that on the rich lists. Because when I buy bitcoin I'm splitting them into 1 BTC blocks so no one can track my fortune like that.
So you can't know who's richest.

███████                   
                      ██████████                        ██       
                       ████████████                  ███       
                                ██████████           █████       
                                        ███████      ██████         
██████                  ███████     ████
████████                ██████     ██   
██████████        ████████           
███████████    █████████           
████████    ████████

███████    ████████       
              ██████    █████████████ 
          █████████      ███████████ 
      ███████████          █████████ 
██████████████                       
████████████████                       
███████      ████████████           
██████        ████████████           
████                ██████████           

.xx-coin.io.

DAVID CHAUM's xx coin SALE IS NOW LIVE!

helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
December 16, 2015, 05:30:31 PM

Why do you care?
Also you can't decide that on the rich lists. Because when I buy bitcoin I'm splitting them into 1 BTC blocks so no one can track my fortune like that.
So you can't know who's richest.

Im splitting up my whole half a bitcoin into 100 seperate wallets to really mess things up Wink

Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 05:51:07 PM
Last edit: December 16, 2015, 06:22:44 PM by Denker

In a documentary "The Bitcoin Gospel" with Roger Ver as one of the main characters he said that he bought in early 2011 his first bitcoins worth $25000 at that time and then continued accumulating.So yes he might hold 100k+ bitcoins.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8zKuoqZLyKg

Start to watch at 7:00 min where he said it.

I believe another person holding a great amount of Bitcoin is Trace Mayor. He is talking about Bitcoin since it was worth  less than a dollar. He seed funded companies like Bitpay, Armory and Kraken.

Winklevoss bros are known to hold a big chunk of coins as well.Since 2012 I believe.

Erik Vorhees sold SatoshiDice for more than 100k coins back in 2013.So he is bitcoin rich as well I'd guess.
http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-company-acquisitions-begin-gambling-site-satoshidice-sells-for-11-5m-126315-btc/
lolgato

Activity: 126

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 06:14:25 PM

The richest person I know that has the most bitcoins is Satoshi Nakamoto 1 million coins.
Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 06:16:39 PM

It's none of our business.
MaritiJames3

Activity: 448

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 06:31:06 PM

You will never find out, there's just no need to. There's a reason why bitcoin is semi anonymous.
Nobody needs to know how much bitcoins anybody owns.
unent

Activity: 326

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 06:37:47 PM

A Romanian billionaire called Mircea Popescu is rumored to hold a massive stash of Bitcoins, but I couldn't find out exactly how many he has. He paid $20,000 to help OpenBSD and I keep coming across his name on bitcointalk. Someone here must know more about his stash.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/20/openbsd_bailed_out/

Described as a Romanian billionaire, an individual named Mircea Popescu has offered to bail out the OpenBSD Foundation.

The Foundation responsible for maintaining OpenBSD is $20,000 in the red over an electricity bill for powering the servers which host the operating system.

As yet, Popescu does not feature on the OpenBSD list of “significant” Foundation sponsors.

In an IRC session on January 19 Popescu had asked how to make a donation. On a #Bitcoin-assets IRC here, he made a comment that’s been taken as read that he had donated. “And it pleases me to announce openbsd got itself sponsored,” he wrote.
ChetnotAtkins (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 06:40:17 PM

It's none of our business.

I respectuflly disagree.

As an owner of Bitcoins it is of interest to me who the other participants in this market are and what they do. If for instance (a very drastic scenario to illustrate my point) Roger Ver posts that he intends to sell all of his Bitcoins, then the value of my Bitcoins will certainly decline.
As you can see there is a direct causality relationship between all participants in the Bitcoin market.
Therefore knowledge about large owners, the sizes of their holdings as well as their intentions are in fact crucial information for everybody who owns Bitcoins.
ChetnotAtkins (OP)

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 06:42:07 PM

A Romanian billionaire called Mircea Popescu is rumored to hold a massive stash of Bitcoins, but I couldn't find out exactly how many he has. He paid $20,000 to help OpenBSD and I keep coming across his name on bitcointalk. Someone here must know more about his stash.

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2014/01/20/openbsd_bailed_out/

Described as a Romanian billionaire, an individual named Mircea Popescu has offered to bail out the OpenBSD Foundation.

The Foundation responsible for maintaining OpenBSD is $20,000 in the red over an electricity bill for powering the servers which host the operating system.

As yet, Popescu does not feature on the OpenBSD list of “significant” Foundation sponsors.

In an IRC session on January 19 Popescu had asked how to make a donation. On a #Bitcoin-assets IRC here, he made a comment that’s been taken as read that he had donated. “And it pleases me to announce openbsd got itself sponsored,” he wrote.

I have read about the guy. He seems rather eccentric but has been/ is involved in a couple of interesting ventures.
I doubt he is a 'billionaire' though  Cheesy
tyz
Legendary

Activity: 3360
Merit: 1530

View Profile
December 16, 2015, 06:45:54 PM

And my address is not on this list  Cry

Seriously, why is this mysterious account of Satoshi not listed? I do not know the address but all (including the media who discovered Craig Wright) writing about an account with 1,1 million Bitcoins.

i know all accounts!

http://www.bitcoinrichlist.com/top100

.....but no names  Tongue
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: