Bitcoin Forum
May 07, 2024, 04:46:26 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: [COMMUNITY] Taaki, never tell anyone you are involved with Bitcoin ever again.  (Read 10033 times)
kangasbros

Activity: 812
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 11:59:56 PM

"Where does supply come from?"

"Mathematics yeah"

Seriously, never speak in public again.

But thx for the laugh

Honestly I don't understand this criticism. Making good answer to that question is _very_ difficult. When I try to explain it, I usually fail, even when the counterparty is total programmer nerd. Then I resort to "you have to research it yourself from internet, start with the wikipedia article" or something. I usually ask if concepts such as cryptographic hash function and public-key crypto is known, and rarely even this is the case.

And usually these finance people tend not to be very math/crypto-heavy, so trying to explain it would have been only distraction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 12:35:08 AM
Last edit: December 25, 2012, 11:29:30 AM by DeathAndTaxes

"Mathematics yeah"

But thx for the laugh

Honestly I don't understand this criticism. Making good answer to that question is _very_ difficult. When I try to explain it, I usually fail, even when the counterparty is total programmer nerd. Then I resort to "you have to research it yourself from internet, start with the wikipedia article" or something. I usually ask if concepts such as cryptographic hash function and public-key crypto is known, and rarely even this is the case.

And usually these finance people tend not to be very math/crypto-heavy, so trying to explain it would have been only distraction.

It isn't that hard to explain and can be done without any low level explanation of cryptographic functions.  Here is an example. If the Q&A is at the end of a presentation which explains transaction processing this explanation can be simplified further.  Then again if you go up there with a single slide which provides no useful details then you are setting yourself up to fail.

"Where does the supply come from?"
Miners are transactions processors.   Miners protect the network and validate transactions.  As compensation for that service, when a miner solves a block of transactions they receive a subsidy from the network.   The subsidy began at 50 BTC per block and is cut in half roughly every 4 years. The subsidy halving will continue until it reaches zero and all coins are minted.  The network self adjusts so that regardless of the number of miners perform transaction processing, a block of transactions is solved on average every ten minutes.    The primary distribution of coins is to miners in the form of block subsidies.  The secondary distribution to non-miners occurs when miners trade coins for goods and services (including other currencies).
BCB
CTG
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1078
Merit: 1002

BCJ

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 01:22:01 AM

"Mathematics yeah"

But thx for the laugh

It isn't that hard to explain and can be done without any low level explanation of cryptographic functions.  Here is an example (note if Q&A is after transaction processing has already been explained even this explanation can be reduced.  Then again if you go up there with a single slide which provides no useful details then you are setting yourself up to fail.

Miners are transactions processors.   Miners protect the network and validate transactions.  As compensation for that service, when miners solve a block of transactions they receive a subsidy from the network.   That subsidy began at 50 BTC and the subsidy halves every 210,000 blocks (roughly every 4 years).  The subsidy halving will continue until all coins are minted.  The network self adjusts so that regardless of how many people are attempting to perform transaction processing only one block is found every 10 minutes on average.    The initial distribution of coins is to miners and as miners trade coins for goods and services (including exchanging them for other currencies) the coins are distributed to non-miners.

D&T.  Clear and concise and not overly complicated.  You should contribute to the wicki.  Seems that even other bitcoin business have trouble simply explaining to the laymen what it is that we do.

THAT'S A PROBLEM.
repentance

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 01:39:36 AM

D&T.  Clear and concise and not overly complicated.  You should contribute to the wicki. 

Absolutely. 

All I can say is that this is Bitcoin. I don't believe it until I see six confirmations.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: