Bitcoin Forum
May 06, 2024, 12:20:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: BFL added tax  (Read 1262 times)
xuemike (OP)

Activity: 116
Merit: 10

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 03:37:53 PM

I was planning to order some singles today and noticed that there is now a sales tax added on top of the equipment they were selling from their site.
Was wondering when was this added. During the fpga days i don't remember paying additional taxes on top of the units.
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
farlack
Legendary

Activity: 1311
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 03:45:28 PM

If they have a presence in your state, you're required to pay taxes.

1. They are either scamming you for taxes.
2. FPGA days they didn't collect taxes, nor pay them, or they realized when they paid taxes they fucked up and ate the % they should have collected.
3. They have a presence in your state.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 03:49:49 PM

2. FPGA days they didn't collect taxes, nor pay them, or they realized when they paid taxes they fucked up and ate the % they should have collected.
Just tried from Canada. They are adding a "tax" worth $112 on a Single. Looks like your option 1, unless Kansas (or Wyoming?) changed their tax code.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
xuemike (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 04:01:49 PM

Well in ontario there is an additional charge of 13%.

So if i was to buy from here and get it shipped to canada, there would be additional 13% tax along with 8.5% tax?

That is pretty ridiculous
Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 04:20:37 PM

As said earlier in this thread; When a business announce a sales price, it's implicit that tax is included in the price. BFL also knew that they had to pay taxes before they started selling.

So this "sales tax" surcharge is is just a camuflaged price increase. Customers that already ordered, can not be asked to pay the extra tax!
xuemike (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 04:23:38 PM

As said earlier in this thread; When a business announce a sales price, it's implicit that tax is included in the price. BFL also knew that they had to pay taxes before they started selling.

So this "sales tax" surcharge is is just a camuflaged price increase. Customers that already ordered, can not be asked to pay the extra tax!

So your saying they essentially upped the price of the units
niko

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 04:28:31 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2013, 05:36:56 PM by niko

So your saying they essentially upped the price of the units
No. The price is unchanged. They are trying to cheat their customers out of money under the false pretense of "tax". Unless their native state implemented changes to tax code to charge a sales tax regardless of customer's location.
EDIT: see below. The tax disappears at checkout.

cosmicone

Activity: 105

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 04:50:12 PM

Just tried from Canada. They are adding a "tax" worth $112 on a Single. Looks like your option 1, unless Kansas (or Wyoming?) changed their tax code.

The only way they can charge you tax, is if they are doing your duty and remitting HST.  Otherwise, they are just cash grabbing from you, as you'll have to pay Duty and GST anyone once it hits the border.

At my business we sell to the USA Daily, and do not charge them taxes.  We charge HST/GST based on the ordering province for all national orders.
wtfvanity

Merit: 500

WTF???

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 04:57:01 PM
Last edit: February 08, 2013, 05:18:15 PM by wtfvanity

Wyoming and Kansas do not have any charge sales tax laws if the item is ordered online and shipped out of state.

EDIT: What's interesting is that this isn't being mentioned at all at BFL forums. Or maybe it's being suppressed.

WTF!     Don't Click Here              
          .      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
serp

Activity: 245
Merit: 250

@serp

View Profile WWW
February 08, 2013, 05:01:28 PM

Follow it through to checkout.. the tax goes away for me once you do.
I think it's just an issue with their cart.

wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 05:07:35 PM

I'm not going to go all the way through, but just on the check out page, you hit your shipping option and the Grand Total has the sales tax disappearing.

.      .            .            .        .            .            .          .        .     .               .            .             .            .            .           .            .     .               .         .              .           .            .            .            .     .      .     .    .     .          .            .          .            .            .           .              .     .            .            .           .            .               .         .            .     .            .            .             .            .              .            .            .      .            .            .            .            .            .            .             .          .
xuemike (OP)

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 05:14:24 PM

I'm not going to go all the way through, but just on the check out page, you hit your shipping option and the Grand Total has the sales tax disappearing.

Yes your right. Thanks that solves my problems I was looking at a huge overhead with my province tax rate originally.

I guess it's time to order
wtfvanity

WTF???

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 05:17:47 PM

I guess it's time to order

I didn't say that Smiley But it does look like the tax disappears at least.

niko

View Profile
February 08, 2013, 05:32:31 PM

Thanks to both, I'll edit my post above.

MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
February 09, 2013, 08:21:27 AM

It's becoming the traditional thing to do. Avalon didn't have a functional cart so how could BFL fall behind?!

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: