Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 06:34:59 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: And some more delays in BFL shipment plans / no shipment before 14th Jan 2013  (Read 22690 times)
Frizz23 (OP)

Activity: 1162
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 03:46:59 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2012, 08:31:02 PM by Frizz23

October
Beginning of November
End of November
December 11th
December 24th
January 14th 2013?

It seems Inaba has been put on a leash by his bosses. He stopped posting/insulting people here on the forums Grin

But he still spews his bullcrap and weasel comments on the BFL forums:

Q: "Are you stating that after the mask set is made, BFL is able to make changes to the design and add circuits (like clock buffers) without have to start the whole set of wafers again?"
Inaba: "I can't really comment on this because it's part of our Unicorn Blood recipe. I'm sure the trolls will have a field day with this statement... All I have to say to that is: Have fun on 110nm suckas!"
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/500-josh-plz-give-us-some-comments-about.html#post7440

Still it would be nice to get the occasional update from a (proper!) BFL representative.

E.g. in the way BitSyncom/Avalon did recently:

This update is mainly to address the uncertainty that have been surrounding the ASIC scene recently due to the lackluster performance by our competitors. We will be walking you through our process of getting the ASIC fabricated. Unlike our competitors we are a in-house team and everyone is always on the same page.

Another update will address the actual status of our chips as we have obtained word from TSMC whom will offer us weekly updates on their website. All in all, see our arguments below regarding our competitors and wait for weekly updates directly from TSMC.

Anyhow, any of our numbers, estimates, and shipping date have not changed, just in case somebody got the wrong idea about this update.

First things first. the following Gallery is our contract with TSMC with pricing and other sensitive information removed. http://imgur.com/a/DnUNm

Some background information on ASIC production process, before tape out, 3 day before uploading GDS, we fill out a MT form with TSMC detailing the ASIC specific information so they may understand what we are doing. The gallery is here http://imgur.com/a/YOLez

to put simply, to create the physical ASIC goes something like this.

sign contract -> submit GDS for review -> mask making -> wafer making -> ship to packaging company -> packaging -> shipping.
Only then can the chips be in your hands or placed on PCB for finalization.

This whole process will take 30-50 days depending on the processor node technology used, mainly due to the increasing in layer number as you go down in processor size. for example, we have 29 layers, and since TSMC is one of the big companies in fabrication, each layer take 1.2 ( normal lot ) day per layer. in addition, accordingly to friedcat, their fab is producing 4 layers every week [odd, but I guess it is possible if fab is small].

This also means while you wait for the wafer(chips) fabrication you can not do anything else, it is usually around this time you make sure you have everything else ready.

a few things to note is,

1. while this wafer making process is going, you can't cancel it, or make adjustments, and if you wish to change anything, you will have to re-run this whole work flow all over again ( the large amount of the NRE upwards of 6 digits in USD is paid when you make the MASK). so anytime, BFL mention they are waiting for chips to come e.g. next week, but if they are still making adjustments, then this is physically impossible. In addition, fabrication company don't do chip packaging, if they are expecting the chips to arrive next week that means the production is already finished and they are probably in the chip packaging company (it is usually this time you find out if your chips work or not. which can also take some time since you'll have to test each of the chips for defects.)

2. the whole chip fabrication is very mathematically predictable based on the number of layers your ASIC has and the speed which the fabrication company can produce a layer. There is no such thing as a fabrication company giving a "fuzzy" date when it comes to when the chips will come from the assembly line. The only number that can vary is the shipping time from the fabrication company to the packaging company, but even that is no more than a few days of difference, depending on the shipping method.

3.a if bASIC made an MPW to start (which is the correct way to save money, but not time). the cost to get large amount of chips during this time is astronomical, however the average size is about 50. It is unheard of for somebody to only produce 2 chips to built a prototype and now no longer have any chips left over to build another prototype.

3.b. Even after testing MWP and everything is fine, it'll take the same amount of time to produce a new MASK ( cost and everything ) then make wafers, which will take another 30 - 50 days, which I suppose is consistent with bASIC's new mid-Jan shipping date, ( but this is optimistic estimate, the regular workflow is about 2 month)

3.c. what we think that happened is bASIC has licensed a SHA256 core, the IP company has already produced demo ASICs that utilizes this core, and did some math on how many core you can placed in the chip to obtain the 14GH/s estimated hashrate, while regular SHA256 and Bitcoin's blockchain hashing algorithm is not very different but it is not something you can compare via simulation without making an actual chip, and if they made an actual chip, even if it doesn't perform up to specifications you can still demonstrate it and be world first.

the conclusion is as follows.

1. If BFL really have chips coming, then they are not making any so-to-speak "clock buffer adjustments", either that or they don't have any chips coming and have not tape-out at all, it is also entirely possible that they have not make the MASK yet either. I guess we will find out on the week of the 11th, in this month hopefully.

2. we believe bASIC has no prototype, or have any chips. Also we at Avalon have also explored the possibility of licensing an IP core, but after some in-house comparison, none of the core on the market is superior to our own, thus we eliminated that option.

Questions, Comments are welcome.

Ξtherization⚡️First P2E 2016⚡️🏰💎🌈 etherization.org

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
squeept

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 03:49:54 AM

Get a life.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
mem

Activity: 644
Merit: 501

Herp Derp PTY LTD

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 03:52:06 AM

Ahh Big Fucking Liars living up to their name.

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 03:55:34 AM

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
squeept

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 03:57:14 AM

I ate an apple today.

I'm just going to keep repeating "it's an Altera HardCopy" because I haven't the slightest clue what I'm talking about.
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 04:06:34 AM

Avalon seems to be the only ones making technical sense....
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 04:56:37 AM

BFL = Bloated Faggots Limping

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

pieppiep

Activity: 1596
Merit: 502

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 05:35:46 AM

This article tells begin 2013 : http://www.technologyreview.com/news/508061/custom-chips-could-be-the-shovels-in-a-bitcoin-gold-rush/
They range in price from $149 to $29,899, and in early 2013 they will start shipping to over a thousand customers who placed advance orders.
crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 05:50:12 AM

This article tells begin 2013 : http://www.technologyreview.com/news/508061/custom-chips-could-be-the-shovels-in-a-bitcoin-gold-rush/
They range in price from $149 to $29,899, and in early 2013 they will start shipping to over a thousand customers who placed advance orders.
It also doesn't cite a source for that information, so as far as I'm concerned they pulled that date out of their ass.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
monstrs

Activity: 555
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 08:53:15 AM

Did not expect that. Soon will start the xmas delays, until then we can mine with gpus, no stress.
DobZombie

Activity: 896
Merit: 532

Former curator of The Bitcoin Museum

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:11:16 AM

Tip Me if believe BTC1 will hit $1 Million by 2030
1DobZomBiE2gngvy6zDFKY5b76yvDbqRra
SLok

Activity: 568

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:13:19 AM
Last edit: December 07, 2012, 12:28:46 PM by SLok

Austrian forum contribution part 103 (aka Mutti! They won't let me enter the contest!)

JODELA-              

FRIZZ23 - 24/7 Clown without a roi! - Pre-Order Yours Today!
`````` 100% totally devoted troll - go check him or one of his other identities @ Bitcointalk.org-Forums``````

WARNING! Don't trade BTC with Bruno Kucinskas aka Gleb Gamow, Phinnaeus Gage, etc Laundering BTC from anonymous sellers, avoid!https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=649176.msg7279994#msg7279994 #TELLFBI #TELLKSAG #TELLIRS WARNING! Darin M. Bicknell, a proclaimed atheist, teaching at the Jakarta CanadianMontessori School. Drop your kids there at your own risk! WARNING! Christian Otzipka - Hildesheim is a known group-buy scammer, avoid! WARNING! Frizz Supertramp, faker with dozens of accounts here! WARNING! Christian "2 coins to see SLOk's" Antkow, still playing his little microphone...WARNING! Slobodan "Stolen Valor" Bogovac, faking being a ProfessorWARNING!Marion Sydney Lynn, google him, errr her, errr.. and lol
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 10:35:17 AM

Poor Avalon, those guys never get any love...

But none of that can happen until Zerlan and his competitors deliver their chips. All the most credible-looking ASIC projects have experienced delays and retreated from initial promises that their products would ship in late 2012, citing technical difficulties.

Guess they're not credible-looking.
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 11:11:07 AM

Troll or not, he's right. BFL reps should STFU about shipping dates until they have a legitimate shipping date to talk about and not just a new soon to be cancelled "fuzzy" date. Repeatedly announcing overly optimistic shipping dates you have zero hope of meeting is just bad business.

squeept

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 01:12:08 PM

My favorite color is blue.

SynOps

Activity: 140

BitFi Services

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 01:14:41 PM

Anyone want to sell their spot in line!  Tongue I just need a Jalapeno or two or three.

HDSolar

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 07, 2012, 01:57:58 PM

For anyone wanting to sell their SC spot in line hit me up.  Might as well get some of your money back since BFL is line right.

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
Mapuo

Activity: 910
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 09:36:28 PM

Anyone want to sell their spot in line!  Tongue I just need a Jalapeno or two or three.
For anyone wanting to sell their SC spot in line hit me up.  Might as well get some of your money back since BFL is line right.
Selling Your BitForce Products
by
BFL_Jody
, 12-04-2012 at 11:19 PM

Sometimes people have sold their pre-orders to someone else, because they need the money or whatever. I have some comments about that:

1. We will verify your order for potential buyers if you ask us to do so.
    2. We will not ship to your customer. We will still ship it to you. It is your responsibility to ship to your customer.
    3. The warranty is still in effect even if it is sold to someone else.
    4. Please be careful--several people have bought items from shysters ...
Starlightbreaker
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1006

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 10:15:53 PM

they changed it pretty recently.

PuertoLibre
Legendary

Activity: 1834
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 07, 2012, 10:34:53 PM
Last edit: December 07, 2012, 10:48:37 PM by PuertoLibre

[Speculative post]

Because they would lose a CC fight if they acknowledge they sent it to another address....every single time. (They couldn't easily prove they sent it to the legitimate address. This is why many companies won't ship to a different destination other than what is on file with the CC company.

They (BFL) are pretty unlucky they aren't contacting everyone they  already arranged for a different address of delivery. It no doubt opens them up big time to large losses.

If those people (if any exist) did chargebacks on their CC as the rigs got to their doorstep they would likely get a rig for free. Why no one noticed this earlier at BFL is a mystery in itself. At least that is how I understood CC policy.

The change in their policy is really no mystery at all.

----------------------------

I take it, that it was to prevent the money from flowing out of the coffers. If you tell someone who wants a refund that they can't sell their position in line, then they would have to give the refund.

For BFL it would probably have been marginally better to arrange the customer to hand it off to someone else and take on the risk that the customer will do a Chargeback. (as long as they don't tell them that, there is only a slightly possibility.)

Now that the risk is probably too big to keep doing, they changed their policy.

Now they likely tell the BFL customer that they can resell it on their own, but they will have to ship to the address of the original payment. Which pushes the risk of the sale from BFL to the reseller and the buyer. Leaving BFL's hand nice and clean in the event that the reseller steals the second hand buyers money.

You can't blame them for this change, it makes perfect sense.

If things were done "right" they would just give the original buyer their money back and they would be out 1 (or more) sales. Which is inconvenient of course cause they ordered all that hardware....
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: