Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:13:30 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: well i stopped mining yesterday  (Read 3948 times)
fcmatt
Legendary

Activity: 2072
Merit: 1001

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 09:44:01 PM

Good - more Bitcoins for me and my GPU's!  Cheesy

Interesting that not selling gpus for asic seed money to be first in line might end up being the best play. It is almost 6 months of mining now since bfl started taking orders while the price has been great. Asics might come out in a rush and we can still get them right after everyone else does who ordered months ago give or take a month or so. Only a lucky few can make upto 6 months of mining in days/weeks.
More interesting, that's exactly what I did.  I sold all my GPU's, with exception of the two that are in computers that I use for other purposes besides mining.  I have a first-day preorder with BFL.  Smiley

That is about the only play that made sense. I have not done the math yet but the last 6 months have been pretty good to me. To have ordered 3 months ago lets say... Might be a very poor move instead of just keep on keep on with gpus.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
SgtSpike
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 10:22:24 PM

Good - more Bitcoins for me and my GPU's!  Cheesy

Interesting that not selling gpus for asic seed money to be first in line might end up being the best play. It is almost 6 months of mining now since bfl started taking orders while the price has been great. Asics might come out in a rush and we can still get them right after everyone else does who ordered months ago give or take a month or so. Only a lucky few can make upto 6 months of mining in days/weeks.
More interesting, that's exactly what I did.  I sold all my GPU's, with exception of the two that are in computers that I use for other purposes besides mining.  I have a first-day preorder with BFL.  Smiley

That is about the only play that made sense. I have not done the math yet but the last 6 months have been pretty good to me. To have ordered 3 months ago lets say... Might be a very poor move instead of just keep on keep on with gpus.
To be fair, I had 3 singles that I sold for $805/ea a couple days before the BFL announcement (when they just announced that they were going to announce it in a couple days), and used those funds to secure the two ASICs.  If I had continued mining on those singles, I would have had a nice chunk of change by now.  I sold them on 6/19.  Difficulty has roughly doubled since then.  Using a very inexact calculation of 2 months at half the current difficulty, and 2.5 months at the current difficulty, and 0.5 months at the current difficulty with the 25 BTC reward, and knowing that each of those singles ran 862 MH/s, I get a total of $2,286.22 that I could have made by now if I had kept them.

On the downside, they aren't worth as much anymore.  I sold mine for $850/ea.  Today, I'd be lucky to get $450 each.  So that's a $1,200 drop in value, bringing the difference down to $1086.22.

On top of that, I wouldn't have had a first-day preorder of BFL's ASICs if I hadn't sold them.

The question remains, will having two of the first BFL ASICs net me at least $1,086 more than I would have vs ordering two ASICs today?  I certainly believe it will, but only time will tell...
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 07:19:20 PM

I still have my one little GPU running even though it only mines about .01 BTC a day. Why? Because it does add up, it helps the network (even if it's a tiny bit), and the costs are small.  And hell, .01BTC is worth more than an infinite number of any other coin and is probably more productive than anything else I'd do with it Cheesy

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: