Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 06:54:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Poll
Question: What do you think about the emergence of assassination markets facilitated by cryptocurrency ?
It's a natural effect of the market, some people need killing; don't be evil and you shall not be killed.
It's an unfortunate side effect of free currency; we have to accept it in order to be free ourselves.
It's a perversion of the Bitcoin system, and I would rather use a free currency that can't be used for that.
It's abhorrent, any technology that enables it, like Tor and Bitcoin, should be banned or regulated.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: I could just kill for some Bitcoins  (Read 8130 times)
w0mbat

Activity: 112
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 05:43:01 PM

Imagine bounties for
* 10 jews bombed
* a dirty bomb killing at least x people on Berlin
* an A-bomb somewhere.

you examples are funny cause all the other currencies are already used for:

* get billions of $ worth of oil for killing 100.000+ civilian ppl
* get billions of $ for illegally occupy land that´s, even according to the UN, not yours & oppress the ppl living there

so the things you posted here seem quiet harmless...

*** http://btcxc.info/  <->  Your source for everything around trading & mining Bitcoins! ***

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The forum was founded in 2009 by Satoshi and Sirius. It replaced a SourceForge forum.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
BitterTea

Activity: 294
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:08:41 PM

Imagine bounties for
* 10 jews bombed
* an A-bomb somewhere.

As counter examples, imagine bounties for...

* The assassination of Hitler, Gadaffi, or any other tyrant
* The assassination of representatives who vote to curb civil liberties
* The assassination of the owner of a large corporation that violates the rights of others
Scientician!

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:17:00 PM

Are you all fkin serious?

Yes, please, by all means give King Whitehat more reasons to roar into our quiant little utopian fantasy town with a Grade 1.A Thunderfuck....

OP, you do realize that even casually mentioning murdering the President is actionable, right? And considering the level of scrutiny being applied here.. I would be very VERY careful about making such statements so casually, if I were you. In a PUBLIC forum??

Mindbogglingly stupid.

For all the handwringing about Bitcoin's "image problem", this forum and its unrolling archive of casual chat about revolution, assasination, CP, etc etc etc is an absolute goldmine for any anti-BTC PR type with 10 minutes to do a few forum searches..

FFS, irc exists for a reason.

Big Brother IS watching.
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 06:45:24 PM

Yes, please, by all means give King Whitehat more reasons to roar into our quiant little utopian fantasy town with a Grade 1.A Thunderfuck....

OP, you do realize that even casually mentioning murdering the President is actionable, right? And considering the level of scrutiny being applied here.. I would be very VERY careful about making such statements so casually, if I were you. In a PUBLIC forum??

Mindbogglingly stupid.

For all the handwringing about Bitcoin's "image problem", this forum and its unrolling archive of casual chat about revolution, assasination, CP, etc etc etc is an absolute goldmine for any anti-BTC PR type with 10 minutes to do a few forum searches..

FFS, irc exists for a reason.

Big Brother IS watching.

Even though I usually always laugh at this kind of paranoid posts, you are right.

It seems some people are forgetting how paranoid the US government is. Even schoolkids have been jailed in the US for making drawings about stabbing a president.
Hell, it's more than likely the NSA has algorithms that detect this type of threads online automatically (even though they would find this is all just hypothetical)

I don't like the "chilling effect" in online discussions, I'm all for discussing even the worst sides of humanity, but please, if you do it on a public forum, draw the line somewhere.

Really, don't give sensationalist reporters the opportunity to claim "bitcoin users planning assassinations and discuss killing head of state" in bold headlines.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
metalice

Activity: 99
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:02:38 PM

Why would you want to help a bunch of thugs put non-violent people in prison?

If Bitcoin is made illegal, will you do your best to help law enforcement catch Bitcoin users?

I got this one, to disassociate bitcoin with criminal activities. Currently in the public eye BitCoin is an unknown, never heard of it, etc. Our wonderfully paid for senator is trying to paint a picture that BitCoin is a currency exclusively used to pay for activites that are illegal. The picture he's trying to paint would make BitCoin = Criminals in the public eye. He succeeds here in the US, other countries will follow, which hurts BitCoin.

However; if BitCoin adopters leveraging how open BitCoin is help presecuters. Well that leaves people questioning what this BitCoin thing really is. Some people will look into it, others will continue to ignore it's existence. Which is either neutral or good for BitCoin.

Now as supporters of BitCoin we should both discourage it's use for illegal activities as well as promote it's legal uses when possible, we have to paint our own picture BitCoin = Commedity, something of value used in the exchange for goods an services. No more, no less.

(Honestly on non violent crime note, personally I'd rather drugs were legal, put a tax on the drugs, and call it a day. Personally I put people puffing their brains away as no better or worse then the person who destroys their body by poor dietary habits)
BubbleBoy (OP)

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 08:43:44 PM

I don't know what you are talking about, what president ? Stop that treasonous clatter. I was clearly referring to the delicious medieval beverage, Potus Ypocras.
As for Assange, now that's a man that deserves to be killed for terrorizing the mighty american army and people. Long live our beloved leader ! Glory to the sleveeless one !

████
              ▄▄████▄▄
          ▄▄████████████▄▄
       ▄██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄
     ▄████▀▀            ▀▀████▄
   ▄████▀                  ▀████▄
  ▐███▀                      ▀███▌
 ▐███▀   ████▄  ████  ▄████   ▀███▌
 ████    █████▄ ████ ▄█████    ████
▐███▌    ██████▄████▄██████    ▐███▌
████     ██████████████████     ████
████     ████ ████████ ████     ████
████     ████  ██████  ████     ████
▐███▌    ████   ████   ████    ▐███▌
 ████    ████   ████   ████    ████
 ▐███▄   ████   ████   ████   ▄███▌
  ▐███▄                      ▄███▌
   ▀████▄                  ▄████▀
     ▀████▄▄            ▄▄████▀
       ▀██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀
          ▀▀████████████▀▀
              ▀▀████▀▀
                ████
MIDEX
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂ GET TOKENS ▂▂▂▂
▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂▂
BLOCKCHAIN BASED FINANCIAL PLATFORM                                # WEB ANN + Bounty <
with Licensed Exchange approved by Swiss Bankers and Lawyers           > Telegram Facebook Twitter Blog #
giszmo
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1105

WalletScrutiny.com

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 08:55:42 PM

you examples are funny cause all the other currencies are already used for:

* get billions of $ worth of oil for killing 100.000+ civilian ppl
* get billions of $ for illegally occupy land that´s, even according to the UN, not yours & oppress the ppl living there

so the things you posted here seem quiet harmless...

I agree on the fact that some politicians, countries and companies do unjust things involving but not not limited to killing people. The world economic system is plain slavery in my eyes actually (why I suggested to have BTC with a redistribution of 1%/month of all coins to all citizen-accounts). Now the big players have to convince the majority within their society that they are doing things for a better world and any harm is just collateral murder damage.

With an anonymous website and an anonymous currency there would not be the need for such diplomacy. Evil means would be much easier accessible. While the message would be much more honest, the messenger could stay hidden.

Thinking about it I wonder if maybe the "new" way would be worse at all.

As counter examples, imagine bounties for...

* The assassination of Hitler, Gadaffi, or any other tyrant
* The assassination of representatives who vote to curb civil liberties
* The assassination of the owner of a large corporation that violates the rights of others

I strongly oppose to the position that any murder that is not the result of a legitimate trial is a good thing. For example the assassination of Usāma ibn Lādin was not in any way rightful.
Bounties on the legal defence I would consider a good thing but the risk involved doing it openly would be much lower in almost any case.

Big Brother IS watching.
Even though I usually always laugh at this kind of paranoid posts, you are right.

It seems some people are forgetting how paranoid the US government is. Even schoolkids have been jailed in the US for making drawings about stabbing a president.
Hell, it's more than likely the NSA has algorithms that detect this type of threads online automatically (even though they would find this is all just hypothetical)

I don't like the "chilling effect" in online discussions, I'm all for discussing even the worst sides of humanity, but please, if you do it on a public forum, draw the line somewhere.

Really, don't give sensationalist reporters the opportunity to claim "bitcoin users planning assassinations and discuss killing head of state" in bold headlines.

hello? is freedom of speech that far already in your country? are you afraid of being sued or even brought to guantánamo over hypothetical discussions of the malicious potential of some new software? maybe it is time for this forum to go underground, too. tor hidden service. invitation only. and don't forget your tin foil hat!!1!

ɃɃWalletScrutiny.comIs your wallet secure?(Methodology)
WalletScrutiny checks if wallet builds are reproducible, a precondition for code audits to be of value.
ɃɃ
AllYourBase

Activity: 138
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 09:09:37 PM

What's this mumbo jumbo about legal/illegal?  Is that like how you're supposed to do what the schoolyard bully says?
AaronM

Activity: 76
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
June 09, 2011, 10:59:05 PM

I'm a little disappointed that there was no poll option for "it is inevitable, but concerned citizens should do their best to help law enforcement catch anyone involved"

I strongly agree with this.  Agorism / market anarchism doesn't give people license to act immorally.  Indeed, people have a duty to prevent infringement on others' rights to life, liberty, and property.

That's how I feel about the Silk Road too, incidentally.

I strongly disagree with this.  Who's the victim here?

Spare some BTC for a biology student? 1DZcEUEo9rX7LQWcYzVR6Btqj2sMqRznbB
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 09, 2011, 11:11:17 PM

hello? is freedom of speech that far already in your country? are you afraid of being sued or even brought to guantánamo

http://www.rediff.com/news/2006/apr/19indian.htm

An Indian student in the United States has been arrested for posting violent messages on an Internet bulletin board urging readers to kill President George W Bush and his family.
Vikram Buddhi, a 34-year-old graduate student of Industrial Engineering and a teaching assistant at Purdue University in Indiana was picked up by the Secret Service last week.

According to the Federal Court records, the threats posted by Buddhi included messages urging readers to kill the president, the vice president and their families and bomb key sites in the United States.
Buddhi came to the United States in 1996 on a student F-1 visa and a spokesperson of Purdue University has confirmed his status in that school, the records said.

The investigation of Buddhi is said to have begun in December 2005 when a concerned reader reported the contents of the message board to the government.
That got the Secret Service into action working with the Purdue police to track down the source.

Buddhi has admitted making the threats as also using several IP addresses to conceal his identity, the local media quoted court documents as saying.

You were saying?
I'm not an idealist. I'm a realist. Take off your rosy glasses and look at the date when this happened. It's been going on for years already.

There is no "pure" freedom of speech. When you cross a line you are going to attract the authorities. I'm not "scared", I just realize the risks unlike you, who lives in a bubbly world with no rules where nobody cares about anything.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Monster Tent

Activity: 238

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 05:13:02 AM

This thread is spooky.

Actually such a site or the business model involved would be a big threat to BTC and TOR etc.

Imagine bounties for
* 10 jews bombed
* an A-bomb somewhere.

That directly leads to bounties for
* not setting off said A-bomb: "Country XY put forces together to find the bomb! If by [date] there are x coins on that bounty, I will let you find the bomb." With the said service people would trust that the guy will only get the bounty if he actually has a bomb. Spooky, isn't it?
* not killing hostages: I kidnapped person x.

Send money to address ... to see him alive is clearly easier than to meet in the park to hand over the money. Oh ... how boring all those action movies will get Sad

Actually cryptography makes all dirty crimes easier. Of course bounties to kill dictators might again be much easier to be payed by so called democratic states so maybe they see an incentive for such services, too.

I hope such services involving people getting killed will face the moral of enough hackers to take them down individually. Maybe a bounty to take down the bounty site anybody?

I think the assassination market is useful only for public officials. Like the cops who beat rodney king or the other numerous instances of beuraucrats being assholes.

Spaceman_Spiff
Legendary

Activity: 1638
Merit: 1001

₪``Campaign Manager´´₪

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 09:32:10 AM

WTF people, are you really talking casually about an assassination market and how you could operate one?
What the hell is wrong with you?

Look, I accept the fact that any anonymizable currency (both bitcoin and fiat notes) can be used for criminal things, there is little I can do about that, and I think the benefits of bitcoin far outweigh the disadvantages.  But you are talking about providing an infrastructure for these things like it is OK.
muyuu
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 980
Merit: 1000

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 10:31:28 AM
Last edit: March 07, 2013, 10:39:22 PM by muyuu

"Assassination market" is a contradiction in terms. Obviously, a murderer does not take into account the will of his victim.

It's not. Because that's not how it works.

The market wouldn't be set up by the murderer because the murderer wouldn't need to set up a market in the first place. That would be an "extortion market" if anything.
The market is set up by someone who wants someone killed anonymously and without having to deal directly with the murderer, or even know who he is.

GPG ID: 7294199D - OTC ID: muyuu (470F97EB7294199D)
forum tea fund BTC 1Epv7KHbNjYzqYVhTCgXWYhGSkv7BuKGEU DOGE DF1eTJ2vsxjHpmmbKu9jpqsrg5uyQLWksM CAP F1MzvmmHwP2UhFq82NQT7qDU9NQ8oQbtkQ
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 11:39:28 AM

WTF people, are you really talking casually about an assassination market and how you could operate one?

Look, I accept the fact that any anonymizable currency (both bitcoin and fiat notes) can be used for criminal things, there is little I can do about that, and I think the benefits of bitcoin far outweigh the disadvantages.  But you are talking about providing an infrastructure for these things like it is OK.

Why shouldn't it be OK? Please don't discriminate against people just because you follow an outdated value system.
organofcorti
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 2058
Merit: 1007

Poor impulse control.

View Profile WWW
March 07, 2013, 11:42:42 AM

Why shouldn't it be OK? Please don't discriminate against people just because you follow an outdated value system.

Agreed. If you really don't like the idea of an assassination market, then just start an "assassination market" assassination market. You'll soon be rid of the assassination market.

Bitcoin network and pool analysis 12QxPHEuxDrs7mCyGSx1iVSozTwtquDB3r
follow @oocBlog for new post notifications
crazy_rabbit
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1001

RUM AND CARROTS: A PIRATE LIFE FOR ME

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 12:29:44 PM

Money is money, cash is cash. What you spend it on has nothing to do with what it is itself.

more or less retired.
Quantus
Legendary

Activity: 883
Merit: 1005

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:02:00 PM

Kick starter for killers?

(I am a 1MB block supporter who thinks all users should be using Full-Node clients)
Avoid the XT shills, they only want to destroy bitcoin, their hubris and greed will destroy us.
Know your adversary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BKorP55Aqvg
FlipPro
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1015

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 01:19:14 PM
Last edit: March 07, 2013, 03:30:41 PM by FlipPro

Monster why you resurrecting old threads?
marhjan

Activity: 215
Merit: 105

Poorer than I ought to be

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 02:23:36 PM

MASSIVE necro-thread there...   from the days just before the first bubble burst

Donations happily accepted @ 15qxNsc7pBiz5kXpAJykw4etzMbZitm2mk
cho

Activity: 155

Boar with me

View Profile
March 07, 2013, 03:02:54 PM

If I ever find my name in the assassination market list with a good bounty, I would assassinate myself and collect the bounty (sounds like a joke but isn't one)

1KEWxTkXPgfB9MdHJcfyoVnfHRnYEHQJPw
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: