Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 07:37:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Signing a message with a time stamp ?  (Read 652 times)
ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
December 20, 2015, 11:58:51 PM

I want to sign a message, but to also include a time stamp that could be verified, as in ; i want to use blockchain tech to protect author rights.
This may seam like silly, but i never had to timestamp anything.

It should look something like this, but have a timestamp as well

-----BEGIN BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
un(wanted)

wrote a word
filled with grief
with my own
cant be brief

wrote another
feels the same
letters changed
still your name

thrill is over
truth be told
as your love
life is sold

sweet the tear
drawn from eye
numb the hope
love won't die

splash of ink
to remember
drained thoughts
on a paper

-----BEGIN SIGNATURE-----
1MZvjgQFQdAUUx5n6Prxw4oGuRycVmaZYR
IOE3wAI5Ee7Vk+INJ+ssZ5Oy+RTv0lWAwoZaExqr66ECaHYTxDt13vsKX0wFdRECV+Kbqch/nqs7jJMmeQbN7es=
-----END BITCOIN SIGNED MESSAGE-----
Even if you use Bitcoin through Tor, the way transactions are handled by the network makes anonymity difficult to achieve. Do not expect your transactions to be anonymous unless you really know what you're doing.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
saturn643

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 12:19:44 AM

What do you mean a "time stamp that could be verified" and "blockchain tech to protect author rights"? The blockchain doesn't use timestamps.

The easiest way to have a timestamp is to literally include the date and time in the signed message. It can be in any format, but it should also indicate the timezone in the timestamp.
botany
Legendary

Activity: 1582
Merit: 1064

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 01:33:31 AM

Can't you include the signed message in a small transaction?
That would ensure that there is a time stamp which can be verified (the time at which the transaction gets confirmed).
If you have some high priority coins lying around, you can send coins from one address to another. You may not even have to spend anything.
saturn643

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 03:39:46 AM

Can't you include the signed message in a small transaction?
That would ensure that there is a time stamp which can be verified (the time at which the transaction gets confirmed).
If you have some high priority coins lying around, you can send coins from one address to another. You may not even have to spend anything.
Transactions don't have timestamps. The only thing that indicates time in a transaction is the timestamp of the block that it was included in.

Also, to encode data in transactions to store in the blockchain is not trivial and to have all of it in one transaction would probably involve some coins being burned.
adamstgBit
Legendary

Activity: 1904
Merit: 1037

Trusted Bitcoiner

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 03:41:40 AM

stamp it at stampery
https://stampery.com/

ashly

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 04:42:40 AM

What time stamp? Its a reduce of time
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4214
Merit: 4461

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 05:02:18 AM

i think the OP doesnt mean a timestamp of a tx.. but more so using data in a tx, confirmed to a block to validate a time.

eg if a block made at 10:05 on december 20th, includes a tx that has extra data of "a poem of flowers by ajareselde" then that in itself proves that the poem was available/public from atleast the 20th of december at 10:05

then if someone else claims they made a poem "a poem of flowers" on new years day.. using some other proof, ajareselde can show he made it on december 20th

so to the OP yes simply adding that signature as extra data to a tx, when finally locked into a block, will then give it a historical reference (using the blocks stamp)

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
ajareselde (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1000

Satoshi is rolling in his grave. #bitcoin

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 10:17:46 PM

i think the OP doesnt mean a timestamp of a tx.. but more so using data in a tx, confirmed to a block to validate a time.

eg if a block made at 10:05 on december 20th, includes a tx that has extra data of "a poem of flowers by ajareselde" then that in itself proves that the poem was available/public from atleast the 20th of december at 10:05

then if someone else claims they made a poem "a poem of flowers" on new years day.. using some other proof, ajareselde can show he made it on december 20th

so to the OP yes simply adding that signature as extra data to a tx, when finally locked into a block, will then give it a historical reference (using the blocks stamp)

This is exactly what i wanted to know, thank you.

Locking this now as my question has been answered in full.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: