Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 01:09:25 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Confusion: bitcoind versus bitcoin-qt  (Read 928 times)
biggbox (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 04:20:32 PM

During the first launch of bitcoin-qt, it asked for a custom directory which I created (bitcoin_custom/) to store the blockchain. I obliged and extracted a latest copy of the blockchain into this custom directory.

Subsequently, when I launched bitcoind, I needed to create .bitcoin.conf under ~/.bitcoin/. A bunch of files are automatically created in ~/.bitcoin/

I then realised there are two directories bitcoin_custom/ and ~/.bitcoin that contains identical file names and debug.log getting filled up in both directories.

I am confused. Which wallet.dat am I supposed to back up? The one in bitcoin_custom/ or .bitcoin/ ?

Am I supposed to run either bitcoind or bitcoin-qt but not both? If I am not mistaken, bitcoin-qt is the GUI layer for bitcoind?

1Cr9iLWm2dSGH8259VQd2wDzpkR63jGVjW

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 04:23:11 PM

Yes, both are the same thing and qt is a graphical interface. You only need one folder Smiley You're having two different wallets and two different copies of the blockchain in the way you seemed to have set it up.
biggbox (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2015, 04:29:05 PM

Yes, both are the same thing and qt is a graphical interface. You only need one folder Smiley You're having two different wallets and two different copies of the blockchain in the way you seemed to have set it up.

Thank you for replying. Smiley

I see. So I should just run either one? If I have bitcoin-qt running, does that means I am also functioning as a node too?

But if I were to run bitcoin-qt, I cannot seem to parse commands to bitcoin-cli?  Huh

trickyriky

Activity: 882
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 04:34:44 PM

I see. So I should just run either one? If I have bitcoin-qt running, does that means I am also functioning as a node too?

But if I were to run bitcoin-qt, I cannot seem to parse commands to bitcoin-cli?  Huh

sorry to jump in, but if your running the qt wallet create a bitcoin.conf file in either or both data dir with the following options

server=1
listen=1
daemon=1
rpcuser=changeme
rpcpassword=changeme
port=8333

this should give you access to bitcoin-cli commands from command prompt or terminal Smiley
unamis76
Legendary

Activity: 1512
Merit: 1005

View Profile
December 21, 2015, 05:27:12 PM

Yes, run only one, so to speak. The daemon has got to start always. When you run QT, it runs the daemon on the background.

Now you use whatever suits you best. For regular usage bitcoin-qt is the most used. You are working as a node as long as you have your Bitcoin ports forwarded.

To push commands, create a .conf as said
biggbox (OP)

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2015, 12:48:48 PM

sorry to jump in, but if your running the qt wallet create a bitcoin.conf file in either or both data dir with the following options

server=1
listen=1
daemon=1
rpcuser=changeme
rpcpassword=changeme
port=8333

this should give you access to bitcoin-cli commands from command prompt or terminal Smiley

Yes, run only one, so to speak. The daemon has got to start always. When you run QT, it runs the daemon on the background.

Now you use whatever suits you best. For regular usage bitcoin-qt is the most used. You are working as a node as long as you have your Bitcoin ports forwarded.

Thanks. Will run only the daemon in the future. Need to sort out my messed up system. Smiley

trickyriky

Activity: 882
Merit: 251

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 12:55:16 PM

server=1
listen=1
daemon=1
rpcuser=changeme
rpcpassword=changeme
port=8333

Thanks. Will run only the daemon in the future. Need to sort out my messed up system. Smiley

no worries, good luck mate Smiley
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: