Bitcoin Forum
April 19, 2024, 10:51:41 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: ASIC shipping dates  (Read 19836 times)
Morblias (OP)

Activity: 576
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 03:55:37 AM
Last edit: April 25, 2013, 06:00:29 PM by Morblias

It is very hard to find information on shipping dates due to multiple forums and announcements being thrown everywhere. This thread is to consolidate it all into 1 thread.

Avalon: Shipped January 20th, 2013 Source: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=137534.0
We shipped, website will be updated shortly.

BFL: April 23rd. Started shipping jalapenos. No ETA on little singles, single sc, or minirigs yet. Latest updates: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/692-bfl-asic-status-3.html#post24150

Sources:
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/blogs/bfl_jody/136-shipping-update.html
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/blogs/bfl_jody/137-first-most-boring-update.html

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY
"You Asked For Change, We Gave You Coins" -- casascius
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 04:36:31 AM
Last edit: December 09, 2012, 05:13:09 AM by 420

BFL, about 4-6 weeks

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
ChipGeek

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 09, 2012, 05:11:22 AM

Last I saw for BFL was that the contract "drop dead" date for the chip fab delivering chips was Dec. 24.  But they could beat that schedule.  My personal GUESS:  BFL starts delivering sometime between January 2 and 12.

Edit: Add links:
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/announcements/251-more-jalapeno-pictures-shipping-update-44.html#post7418
https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/511-earliest-date-expect-delivery-january-25th.html#post7581

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
Morblias (OP)

Activity: 576

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 03:54:13 AM

Updated BFL to mid January:

https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/519-10-dec-2012-bfl-asic-update.html#post7783
After talking with our liaison tonight and still having not received a final confirmation date, we were as tired of this as everyone else is, so we continued to push for a date and they gave us 30 days from today.

It's an update I'm not happy about at this point and it may very well be that things will wrap up sooner than that

Tips / Donations accepted: 1Morb18DsDHNEv6TeQXBdba872ZSpiK9fY

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 03:56:48 AM
Last edit: December 12, 2012, 02:01:41 AM by 420

Don't expect any ASIC's in any customers hands before February 1st.
Im making my prediction
http://betsofbitco.in/item?id=1003

No ASIC Manufacturer will deliver an ASIC miner to a customer before February 1st, 2013

You have submitted this statement which is awaiting approval. It is not available for betting or public display yet.

Donations: 1JVhKjUKSjBd7fPXQJsBs5P3Yphk38AqPr - TIPS
the hacks, the hacks, secure your bits!
creativex

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 04:01:19 AM

Awww don't say that. BTCFPGA needs to ship in January. Grin

wdBTCtrader

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 04:04:42 AM

It is very hard to find information on shipping dates due to multiple forums and announcements being thrown everywhere. This thread is to consolidate it all into 1 thread.

Avalon: ETA January 14th, 2013 Source: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=120184.0
Avalon instead gave an very conservative estimate but now is scheduled to ship even earlier at Jan. 14th 2013

bASIC: ETA mid January, 2013 Source: https://www.btcfpga.com/forum/index.php?topic=125.0
I am planning now on a mid January release date

BFL: ETA mid January, 2013 Source: https://forums.butterflylabs.com/bfl-forum-miscellaneous/519-10-dec-2012-bfl-asic-update.html#post7783
After talking with our liaison tonight and still having not received a final confirmation date, we were as tired of this as everyone else is, so we continued to push for a date and they gave us 30 days from today

This thread is not meant to flame any companies in any way. Please keep that stuff out of here or I will delete this thread. If you see an announcement from any company please post it here with a source and I will update it.

thanks for the update.
abeaulieu

Activity: 295

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 04:08:11 AM

delays are coming in hot
wdBTCtrader

Activity: 42
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 04:30:18 AM

Don't expect any ASIC's in any customers hands before February 1st.
Im making my prediction

Has anyone started a pool?
gmaxwell
Legendary

Activity: 4158
Merit: 8382

View Profile WWW
December 11, 2012, 05:00:50 AM

When pressed for a reason why, I have been told that because this is a very dense, hand routed design they are afraid of making a mistake and have required extra checking and sign offs which has slowed down the whole process considerably. They don't want to be on the hook financially for having to redo the whole order.
Am I misreading this, or does this sound like they won't be at tape-out until 30 days from now?  (What careful checking of hand routed design will you be doing once the masks are being printed?).
creativex

Activity: 434

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 05:09:04 AM

Unicorn blood spilled on the mask?

ChipGeek

Activity: 198
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 04:36:51 PM

When pressed for a reason why, I have been told that because this is a very dense, hand routed design they are afraid of making a mistake and have required extra checking and sign offs which has slowed down the whole process considerably. They don't want to be on the hook financially for having to redo the whole order.
Am I misreading this, or does this sound like they won't be at tape-out until 30 days from now?  (What careful checking of hand routed design will you be doing once the masks are being printed?).

"Tape out" is the term for sending the design to the fab.  (Name has stuck from back in the days when a computer tape was sent by FedEx.  Now it's done with ftp over the interwebs.)  Then the fab checks the files for errors then makes the masks and begins making the wafers.  My interpretation is that BFL sent the design to the fab days / weeks / months ago.  What is not clear to me is if the fab has started masks or wafers yet. 

My best guess is that masks are done and wafers are (just) started.  Also a guess: extra delays came from questions or problems with the design that caused problems in making the masks.

Tip jar: 1ChipGeeK7PDxaAWG4VgsTi31SfJ6peKHw
DutchBrat

Activity: 868
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 05:39:22 PM

If/when the foundry is done with BFL's chips in 30 days they need to be shipped to the USA, tested and by BFL, packaged, shipped and what not.

So add 2 weeks minimum from 30 days from now before anyone has a BFL product delivered on their doorstep.

And yes, the foundry might be quicker, but it also might be slower....
ModusPwnd

Activity: 546
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:26:38 PM

Nice to see this thread.  Its hard to sift through the posts and get a clear picture.  So many claims of people being a troll...  Roll Eyes  People keep using that word.  I dont think it means what they think it means.   Cheesy

Its nice to keep the original post updated with 'official' claims by the sellers and let the speculation as to further delays be in the replies.
Roy Badami

Activity: 563

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:37:03 PM

"Tape out" is the term for sending the design to the fab.  (Name has stuck from back in the days when a computer tape was sent by FedEx. 

I always thought the name came from the fact that in the earliest integrated circuits the masks were produced by hand using an opaque sticky tape on a transparent film.  A process known as tape-out, which you obviously didn't start until you'd completed the design.

roy
bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
December 11, 2012, 08:41:49 PM

Nice to see this thread.  Its hard to sift through the posts and get a clear picture.  So many claims of people being a troll...  Roll Eyes  People keep using that word.  I dont think it means what they think it means.   Cheesy

Its nice to keep the original post updated with 'official' claims by the sellers and let the speculation as to further delays be in the replies.

Agreed, I'm not invested enough to sift through all the forums and redundant posts of this and rebuke to that. So I appreciate a thread that will track this stuff for me.

The next thing I'd kind of like to see, just for sociological purposes, would be a thread tracking the general sentiment of customers/detractors throughout. For example:

July -- Hooray we gonna get ASICs! // ASICs cant be real!
August -- Cant wait for those ASICs! // You're not gonna get them, scam!
September -- OMG ASICs almost here! // I bet you that you won't get them!
October -- ASICs delayed? That's ok, its gonna be awesome! // Ha told you suckers!
November -- Another ASIC delay? Hmm... well still hoping for the best // Look at those delays! Chumps!
December -- Another delay, but I still have faith // Haw haw scammity scam scam scam!
Jan -- ?? // ??
Bogart
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 05:14:34 AM

If/when the foundry is done with BFL's chips in 30 days they need to be shipped to the USA, tested and by BFL, packaged, shipped and what not.

Actually the bare dies will first need to be packaged, which probably will not happen at the foundry.

Then the packaged chips will need to be shipped across an ocean, pass through Customs, and finally arrive at BFL HQ, where they will test them.

Then, *only if* they pass all of the tests, can BFL begin putting them onto boards, working out the firmware, and maybe packing and shipping a few of them out the door.  That's assuming their inhouse pick-and-place machine and reflow oven work, and have competent operators.  The bulk of the chips would get shipped right out the door again, along with the rest of the components, to the board production house, to be done up onto boards en masse.

"Tape out" is the term for sending the design to the fab.  (Name has stuck from back in the days when a computer tape was sent by FedEx.
I always thought the name came from the fact that in the earliest integrated circuits the masks were produced by hand using an opaque sticky tape on a transparent film.  A process known as tape-out, which you obviously didn't start until you'd completed the design.

Tape-out refers to the final step in production immediately before the photomasks are made.

Your design can be at the foundry, but until they're ready to make the masks, it's not said to be at tape-out stage.

"All safe deposit boxes in banks or financial institutions have been sealed... and may only be opened in the presence of an agent of the I.R.S." - President F.D. Roosevelt, 1933
bitboyben

Activity: 330

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 08:05:28 AM

Would some one like to enlighten me to what they mean by the design was hand drawn? Is that even possible now days?

Why did I sell at $5! Come back to me my old bitcoin! 1GjeBGS4KrxKAeEVt8d1fTnuKgpKpMmL6S
If you don't like the price of BTC come back in 8 hours.
greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 10:47:49 AM

Would some one like to enlighten me to what they mean by the design was hand drawn? Is that even possible now days?

Soros Shorts
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1616
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 01:40:34 PM

I'm guessing what they meant was that the place and route phase of the design was done manually instead of using automated tools. From a design perspective this implies higher performance but with additional risk of errors.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 7 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: