Bitcoin Forum
May 10, 2024, 01:34:10 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New Bill would remove your whole site from the internet.  (Read 1500 times)
Anonymous

September 28, 2010, 07:51:46 AM

https://www.eff.org/deeplinks/2010/09/censorship-internet-takes-center-stage-online

I cant believe these douchebags think this will work.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"If you don't want people to know you're a scumbag then don't be a scumbag." -- margaritahuyan
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
martin

Activity: 150
Merit: 100

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2010, 12:45:46 PM
Last edit: September 28, 2010, 05:33:50 PM by dwdollar

Wow, given this that I saw yesterday I'm very glad I'm not a US citizen!

Would modifying DNS records actually work? COuldn't people just start using overseas DNSes?
Timo Y
Legendary

Activity: 938
Merit: 1001

bitcoin - the aerogel of money

View Profile
September 28, 2010, 02:00:56 PM

If authorities started blocking the websites bitcoin.org and sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/ they could actually be doing the bitcoin community a favor!

A dozen alternative sources for the bitcoin client would spring up. Other conventional websites, .onion sites, .i2p sites, torrents, emule, usenet binaries, usb sticks hidden in geocaches, etc. The bitcoin community can be pretty evangelical, especially when provoked. Shutting down one source at a time would then become a game of whac-a-mole for the authorities, with each major shut down generating free publicity for bitcoin.

It would remove the only single point of failure that remains in this project.

At worst, this would cause the whole bitcoin project to fork into several parallel currencies with independent chains and slightly different clients/rules. But I see that as an advantage because it would mean even more resilience and redundance.  Exchanging Bitcoin for Bytecoin is much easier than for USD or EUR; the overhead would almost be as low as for an internal Bitcoin transaction and the exchange rates would reflect the desirability of each Bitcoin fork.

GPG ID: FA868D77   bitcoin-otc:forever-d
FreeMoney
Legendary

Activity: 1246
Merit: 1014

Strength in numbers

View Profile WWW
September 28, 2010, 07:53:10 PM

If authorities started blocking the websites bitcoin.org and sourceforge.net/projects/bitcoin/ they could actually be doing the bitcoin community a favor!

A dozen alternative sources for the bitcoin client would spring up. Other conventional websites, .onion sites, .i2p sites, torrents, emule, usenet binaries, usb sticks hidden in geocaches, etc. The bitcoin community can be pretty evangelical, especially when provoked. Shutting down one source at a time would then become a game of whac-a-mole for the authorities, with each major shut down generating free publicity for bitcoin.

It would remove the only single point of failure that remains in this project.

At worst, this would cause the whole bitcoin project to fork into several parallel currencies with independent chains and slightly different clients/rules. But I see that as an advantage because it would mean even more resilience and redundance.  Exchanging Bitcoin for Bytecoin is much easier than for USD or EUR; the overhead would almost be as low as for an internal Bitcoin transaction and the exchange rates would reflect the desirability of each Bitcoin fork.

Forks make us weaker. If the combined network has 4000Mhash/sec an attacker needs to match that amount. If it splits in half an attacker can doublespend on both networks with only 2000Mhash.

Obviously putting the code out on many sites is only a positive.

Play Bitcoin Poker at sealswithclubs.eu. We're active and open to everyone.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: