Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:56:20 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Testnet bitcoin value?  (Read 3604 times)
achow101
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 6571

Just writing some code

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2015, 02:36:30 PM

Testnet bitcoins never should have any value. How something so unstable can be even considered as legit asset?
Developers can create and destroy testnet bitcoin as they please, they are not mined therefore can't be viewed as viable cryptocurrency.
Testnet coins are mined. There are virtually the same as bitcoin except that the difficulty automatically adjusts to the minimum when it has been a set time (don't remember what) had passed without a block being found.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
vilain

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 02:39:22 PM

I just ran across this thread and I have to verify, these coins are there for the purpose of testing newly designed sites?  If so, why are there faucets which you can collect them and what is the point of collecting them?   Thanks for answering the questions in advance.
The point of testnet is to test new software that uses bitcoin without actually using anything of value. It is also used for experimenting with the network. It prevents people from losing money while they are experimenting.

The point if faucets is to distribute testnet coins so that people can use them for testing. Generally people should and will return the testnet coins to the faucet so that others can use them too.

Can you paste some links to such faucets please?
Bitcoinpro
Legendary

Activity: 1344
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 22, 2015, 02:40:26 PM

I just ran across this thread and I have to verify, these coins are there for the purpose of testing newly designed sites?  If so, why are there faucets which you can collect them and what is the point of collecting them?   Thanks for answering the questions in advance.

Because only the best things in life are free   Cheesy

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

CRYPTOCURRENCY CENTRAL BANK

LTC: LP7bcFENVL9vdmUVea1M6FMyjSmUfsMVYf
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 22, 2015, 02:55:24 PM

I just ran across this thread and I have to verify, these coins are there for the purpose of testing newly designed sites?  If so, why are there faucets which you can collect them and what is the point of collecting them?   Thanks for answering the questions in advance.
The point of testnet is to test new software that uses bitcoin without actually using anything of value. It is also used for experimenting with the network. It prevents people from losing money while they are experimenting.

The point if faucets is to distribute testnet coins so that people can use them for testing. Generally people should and will return the testnet coins to the faucet so that others can use them too.

Can you paste some links to such faucets please?

-> https://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Testnet#Faucets

Just let me know your address and I can send you some as well. What are you testing btw?

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Pages: « 1 2 [3]  All
  Print  

Jump to: