Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 04:16:47 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Georgism/Geoism and the Land Value Tax  (Read 11825 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2012, 11:35:15 PM

Less philosophy, I want to hear a debate on how the tax wold actually work, especially collection.

Same way all taxes are collected:

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
cunicula
Legendary

Activity: 1050
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 02:03:54 AM

Less philosophy, I want to hear a debate on how the tax wold actually work, especially collection.

We only take those out when there is a lack of certainty about who the winner would be. As long as the state has all the guns, the citizens are safe.
Topazan (OP)

Activity: 354
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 02:39:34 AM

Cute.  Incidentally, that's the way rent is collected, too.

@FirstAscent - Thanks for the opinion.

Good call.  I'm going to make a note to ask someone who's more learned in Georgism when I get the chance about how the valuation would work.  

Collection would, as myrkul said, work the same was as taxes.  The only penalty for not paying would be the loss of title to the land.  Ideally, I think a stable currency, maybe even a cryptocurrency, should be declared official for this purpose only, leaving people free to use other currencies in commerce.

You could probably decentralize the process quite a bit if you used a cryptocurrency.  Register an address for each site, and then there could be a number of private agencies that will pay in exchange for some physical goods.  "Landcoins for gold" and so on.  Once collected, the currency would be redistributed either as a citizen's dividend or as payment for services.

Save the last bitcoin for me!
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 02:47:16 AM

Not quite. It's more like:

Pay or...

See the difference? One is a mugging, the other an eviction.

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
grantbdev

Activity: 292

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 02:49:46 AM

Collection would, as myrkul said, work the same was as taxes.

I apologize for my use of the word 'collection', either that was too broad or not what I meant. I'm less worried about the actually payment of the tax than I am determining who owes what and why they owe that specific amount. Many states already have a property tax, how does that compare? (To be honest, I don't know how property taxes are calculated, either.)

Don't use BIPS!
cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 02:56:28 AM

Not quite. It's more like:

Pay or...

See the difference? One is a mugging, the other an eviction.
You can always renounce your citizenship. We have plenty of foreigners who become Singaporean in order to evade taxes. Eduardo Saverin of Facebook fame is one example.
The highest marginal tax rate (effective at $320k income or more) is 20%.

If you earn 32,000 USD per year in income then you pay 450 USD in income taxes.
If you earn 66,000 USD per year in income then you pay 2900 USD in income taxes.
If you earn 131,000 USD per year in income then you pay 11400 USD in income taxes.

If you don't like paying big taxes in your country, then why don't you just renounce your citizenship and move here? It is just like switching landlords. If you are not a US citizen, then you don't even have to renounce your citizenship. You can just move.

Topazan (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 03:16:04 AM

@myrkul - No, I don't see it, and I didn't the last five times you said it either.  Smiley  As far as I'm concerned, one mandate to use force in imposing one's will over those inhabiting a certain area of land is like another.  Maybe you should continue to repeat the same points without adding anything new.  Tongue

I apologize for my use of the word 'collection', either that was too broad or not what I meant. I'm less worried about the actually payment of the tax than I am determining who owes what and why they owe that specific amount. Many states already have a property tax, how does that compare? (To be honest, I don't know how property taxes are calculated, either.)
As I understand it, property tax includes the value of improvements made to the land.  If you build a house on an empty lot, you're suddenly going to be paying a lot more in taxes than you were.  This goes against both the philosophical and practical goals of Georgism.

A few places have a land value tax, and generally it works out pretty well, but generally it's only a small portion of the rent the owners can collect, so it's only a partial solution to the problem.

Yeah, I still can't tell you exactly how it would be done, but it would have to be based on demand for that particular land and not include the value of improvements.  The practical goal is to create an incentive to use land to its fullest productivity, so ideally it should be high enough to price out inefficient users, low enough that it's still profitable for its best use.

myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 03:23:27 AM

@myrkul - No, I don't see it, and I didn't the last five times you said it either.  Smiley  As far as I'm concerned, one mandate to use force in imposing one's will over those inhabiting a certain area of land is like another.  Maybe you should continue to repeat the same points without adding anything new.  Tongue

Really? You don't see the difference between "Pay us or we'll toss you in a cage or kill you," and, "Pay me, like you agreed to, or leave?" You really think those are the same thing?

Topazan (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 03:27:25 AM

It's more like "Pay us, or leave, or we'll toss you in a cage or kill you." for both of them.

cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 03:51:34 AM

Really? You don't see the difference between "Pay us or we'll toss you in a cage or kill you," and, "Pay me, like you agreed to, or leave?" You really think those are the same thing?
I thought we just went over the fact that you can often leave in both cases.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 04:34:44 AM

It's more like "Pay us, or leave, or we'll toss you in a cage or kill you." for both of them.
Except to live rent-free, you just have to buy your own land. To live tax-free, you must move to Somalia, and not paying rent will only get you evicted. Might land you an overnight stay in county, if you're belligerent about leaving, but that's in the current system, isn't it? And at any rate you get locked up for taking a swing at a cop or some such, not for not paying the rent.

FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 04:53:37 AM

I don't see the difference, frankly.

Landlord: get out, or pay, or I'll have someone point a gun at your face.

Government: go somewhere else and stop using our infrastructure, or pay up, or I'll have someone point a gun at your face.
FirstAscent

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 04:59:03 AM

@FirstAscent - Thanks for the opinion.

Just that? No heated debates? No argumentation? No meaningless myrkulistic memes? No nuanced discussion? Fair enough, I suppose.
Topazan (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:54:52 AM
Last edit: December 13, 2012, 06:19:24 AM by Topazan

Except to live rent-free, you just have to buy your own land. To live tax-free, you must move to Somalia, and not paying rent will only get you evicted. Might land you an overnight stay in county, if you're belligerent about leaving, but that's in the current system, isn't it? And at any rate you get locked up for taking a swing at a cop or some such, not for not paying the rent.
You need to judge the nature of the act itself, not the circumstances of its victim.  Is stabbing someone who has good health insurance less of a crime than stabbing someone who doesn't?

If the evicted tenant has an alternative place to work or live, that's not because of anything the landlord did.  If the tenant does not have another place, the landlord would consider it not-his-problem.  Therefore, it's not the government's problem if you don't have anywhere to go.  Why is it the government's fault you don't want to go to Somalia?

Besides, buying land isn't living rent-free.  At best, it's paying your rent in one lump sum (and possibly later collecting some from innocent third parties).  More often it means you're making a bank your landlord.

Just that? No heated debates? No argumentation? No meaningless myrkulistic memes? No nuanced discussion? Fair enough, I suppose.
Heh, well you seem to be a single-issue voter.  You obviously know much more about ecology than I do, so I just have to take your word concerning the environmental implications.

cunicula
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:17:54 AM

I don't see the difference, frankly.

Landlord: get out, or pay, or I'll have someone point a gun at your face.

Government: go somewhere else and stop using our infrastructure, or pay up, or I'll have someone point a gun at your face.

Yeah, government is just like a big landlord. Dictatorship is like having one big landowner. Democracy is like having one big condo association.
Pages: « 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: