Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 12:30:32 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is it possible to recognize that someone is using 2nd hand account?  (Read 2632 times)
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 07:22:23 PM

The efford was done here though. So do I understand you correctly that this is a bad example to discuss because you have no way to prevent this?

Let me rephrase that: You say you have no way to prevent someone that is willing to put in efford in order to scam?

I would like to challenge your IQ now. This question just made me feel sick about you!
Can you please tell me your age?

No, its irrelevant.

Are we even discussing at the same level? Did I ever say on this entire thread that taking precautions/implementing rules would mean that nobody would ever get scammed?

On separate note: I myself have been scammed thrice.
Once a person hacked a trusted person's account & used his identity to make me send bitcoin 1st. Though it was just $10.4 worth of bitcoin
2nd time the guy charged back $60 saying it as unauthorized transaction after I sent him BTC
3rd time PayPal fucked me by reversing the $140 to the sender and then that person turns out to be a con artist.

I guess we have fundamental different views. Your suggested security simulation is just that a simulation. It will not stop any scams, it will just cause more hassle for everyone. Most of your arguments remind me of politicians. IS attack? Ban crypto! Does it help? Who cares, we did something.

Got scammed by a newbie? Limit marketplace to Jr. members! Does it help? Who cares, we did something.

We are among strangers here, act accordingly.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
No Gods or Kings. Only Bitcoin
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
sardasa (OP)

Activity: 1064
Merit: 502

* Buying Bitcoin *

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 07:25:35 PM

I guess we have fundamental different views. Your suggested security simulation is just that a simulation. It will not stop any scams, it will just cause more hassle for everyone. Most of your arguments remind me of politicians. IS attack? Ban crypto! Does it help? Who cares, we did something.

Got scammed by a newbie? Limit marketplace to Jr. members! Does it help? Who cares, we did something.

At least I am suggesting something which half the forum would agree with (especially now when master-p fucked us all).
What are you doing other than commenting on my thread & making me explain you because you are too ignorant to understand and/or see anything on your own?

shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1499

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 07:40:13 PM

At least I am suggesting something which half the forum would agree with (especially now when master-p fucked us all).
What are you doing other than commenting on my thread & making me explain you because you are too ignorant to understand and/or see anything on your own?

Eating ice cream and disagreeing with you. I dont have have a better solution in order to criticize yours.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
sardasa (OP)

* Buying Bitcoin *

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 07:44:03 PM

Eating ice cream and disagreeing with you. I dont have have a better solution in order to criticize yours.

Why not just shut down & stop replying to this thread or agree with my points?

Joel_Jantsen
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1308

Get your game girl

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 07:48:13 PM

snipe

At least I am suggesting something which half the forum would agree with

Who said so?Also the rest half the forum constitutes of mods/staff/admins so your suggestions really don't matter.

(especially now when master-p fucked us all).

Really ? How much money master p fucked you over for? Mind sharing the txid's? Undecided

Unfortunately ,he can't do much but enjoy his ice cream. Cool

sardasa (OP)

* Buying Bitcoin *

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 07:56:31 PM

(especially now when master-p fucked us all).

Really ? How much money master p fucked you over for? Mind sharing the txid's? Undecided

It was generic expression Sir.
Luckily "I" have not been scammed by master-p but many others on this forum have been and you can read this thread https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1306301.220 to know about them all.

Assmaster2000

Activity: 84
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 08:21:14 PM

-snip-
try to find solution for this.
-snip-

Good idea, lets take the master-P issue as an example. How do you think this could have been prevented even if selling accounts was verboten(!) here? The sale was hidden and it included all commonly used ways to identify someone here, including PGP and bitcoin private keys, as well as a mail address.

^^You want to know what the difference is between providing an effortless, liquid market vs. scammer having to put some effort into his scheme?

@shorena: I guess you got your answer

The efford was done here though. So do I understand you correctly that this is a bad example to discuss because you have no way to prevent this?

Let me rephrase that: You say you have no way to prevent someone that is willing to put in efford in order to scam?

*effort
No. What he's saying is this:
Making it easier for scammers to scam, by letting them buy and sell bitcointalk accounts right here, on bitcointalk, is like making a big sign next to your front door, saying:
Hello burglars!
On a rusty nail below, you'll find the keys to my house. Use them in good health, I won't stop you. Because you'd probably find a way to pick the lock, or kick the door in, so, technically, I can't stop you.
The combo to the wall safe (it's in the basement, behind the gray breaker panel, you would've found it yourself) is 37 right 28 left 16 right. You would have figured it out yourself, it's a shit safe, you can literally hear the tumblers.

Oh, sorry, almost forgot, disable the alarm!!! Keypad behind the coat hanging by the door, code is 1337. So obvious, amirite?

Get it now?
erikalui
Legendary

Activity: 2632
Merit: 1094

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 09:50:36 PM

Hey Sardasa. I hope you recognize me Cheesy

I can understand you joined here lately and have several doubts about account sales, trust ratings and all kinds of immoral activities going around here as I had the same doubts when I joined. Check this: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=977435.0

I too hated the account sales trend that was going around here but now I'm kind of used to it. Now with escrows too turning scammers, I have lost faith on escrow as well as it was hitting the last nail in the wall. I can clearly state now that one cannot trust anyone on this forum except themselves.

To answer your question, it doesn't matter if the person has sold his account or not as nobody can ever guess it unless you check the seclog where it mentions that the password has been changed/reset. With PGP keys and email accounts also being sold, there else no way left to trust any account here.

I feel the only way to protect this forum is to have VERIFIED escrows (by verified I mean an escrow whose personal details are known to the admins and mods). To become a verified escrow, the person would need to pay a fee to the admin and then only he would be able to escrow transactions here. I don't think this would be implemented though as nobody here ever cares about people getting scammed. Only we are the ones to lose and cry over it. There are too many rules to follow of which none are useful to us.

sardasa (OP)

* Buying Bitcoin *

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 09:55:06 PM

nobody here ever cares about people getting scammed. Only we are the ones to lose and cry over it. There are too many rules to follow of which none are useful to us.

You just hit the nail on its head Cheesy

Scorpian

Activity: 118
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 11:39:41 PM

Signed messages would work.
Decoded
Legendary

Activity: 1232
Merit: 1029

give me your cryptos

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 01:14:49 AM

1st thing that'd tip you off is a changed password, but the "Warning" is only showed for a month
2nd thing, a change in style of writing
3rd , change in use of address.

And many more, you are asking this for "Educational purposes" right?

These "tells" can easily be circumvented. I guess only Theymos can tell for sure, as he probably has access to all accounts' IPs.

One way is when an account forgets to log out and responds to a thread as a different account, accidentally.
One example was a person, Pov, who I was about to trade with him until he accidentally logged in and responded to his own thread as a scammer, armour.

1) as you said, people can hold their account of a month, then scam.
2) this isn't usually checked, but a person fluent in a language, say English, can replicate a person's writing style.
3) usually when buying accounts, people ask for the private key of an address used to sign an account.

looking for a signature campaign, dm me for that
cancerbola

Activity: 560
Merit: 501

Supermutated Virulent Microbial Strain

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 09:36:18 AM

Signed messages would work.

But there's a chance the original owner might had given the private keys to the next owner, allowing him to sign messages...
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: