Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 11:41:33 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Copying the blockchain onto a new computer  (Read 463 times)
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 2716
Merit: 2456

https://JetCash.com

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 11:53:52 AM

Do I just copy the blocks and chainstate directories, or is there some additional stuff to copy?

Offgrid campers allow you to enjoy life and preserve your health and wealth.
Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
My new Bitcoin transfer address is - bc1q9gtz8e40en6glgxwk4eujuau2fk5wxrprs6fys
"There should not be any signed int. If you've found a signed int somewhere, please tell me (within the next 25 years please) and I'll change it to unsigned int." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
OmegaStarScream
Staff
Legendary

Activity: 3472
Merit: 6125

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 11:57:32 AM

Do I just copy the blocks and chainstate directories, or is there some additional stuff to copy?

That should be it , but if you want to recover the same wallet as-well then it's better to take wallet.dat as-well .
Or just to make sure everything will be right , copy the whole Bitcoin folder that you find on AppData and transfer it to your new PC .

█▀▀▀

█▄▄▄
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
e
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████████
████████████▄███
██▐███████▄█████▀
█████████▄████▀
███▐████▄███▀
████▐██████▀
█████▀█████
███████████▄
████████████▄
██▄█████▀█████▄
▄█████████▀█████▀
███████████▀██▀
████▀█████████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
c.h.
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
▀▀▀█

▄▄▄█
▄██████▄▄▄
█████████████▄▄
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███████████████
███░░█████████
███▌▐█████████
█████████████
███████████▀
██████████▀
████████▀
▀██▀▀
Velkro
Legendary

Activity: 2296
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 12:27:19 PM

make sure everything will be right , copy the whole Bitcoin folder that you find on AppData and transfer it to your new PC .
this, then check if it works correctly (wallet is as it should be) before moving on from old PC
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 01:07:21 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I posted a misleading title, sorry guys. What I want to do is to create a new wallet on a different computer. I'll keep this one as a main wallet. In fact the other computer (the "new" one) is a chromebook, but setting up a wallet on that will be a different story I expect. Smiley

Save old Cars - my project to save old cars from scrapage schemes, and to reduce the sale of new cars.
shorena
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1520

No I dont escrow anymore.

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 06:33:06 PM

Thanks for the replies. I think I posted a misleading title, sorry guys. What I want to do is to create a new wallet on a different computer. I'll keep this one as a main wallet. In fact the other computer (the "new" one) is a chromebook, but setting up a wallet on that will be a different story I expect. Smiley

Is the disk large enough to fit the blockchain? I have little experience with chromebooks, but I understand that they mainly want you to store data in the cloud, so you can easily switch devices without hassle. If you have enough space to run bitcoin core with a full blockchain, creating a new wallet (with new addresses) is as simple as renaming the existing wallet.dat file. If core starts without finding one, it will create a new one.

Im not really here, its just your imagination.
Jet Cash (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 06:57:30 PM

There isn't enough space in the chromebook, and I don't want to use this cloud stuff. I've got a fast Sandisk 128Gb SD card, and I'm going to use that. I've re-formatted it under Windows 10, and copied the Blockchain. (it took quite a while). I tried to copy the other file, and Windows is currently having a wobbly - what a load of rubbish Microsoft stuff is - I forgot how bad it had become whilst using the Chromebook. The chromebook uses Chrome OS which is a Linux derivative, so I am hoping that the generic Linux Bitcoin core will work on it. It will probably be slow if I am running it from the SD card, so the whole thing might turn out to be just an academic excercise.

Chromebooks have dropped in price, so I might buy another one, and install Ubuntu on it.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: