Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 08:46:55 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin Economic Growth - What do you want?  (Read 3032 times)
MKEGuy (OP)

Activity: 154
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 08:20:29 PM

I realize I'm new to this community and everyone might give the new guy the eye, but I promise you I'm here to stay.  As ASIC's come out I'll be part of that.  But really when I look at it - we all need to stop worrying about mining SO much and start focusing on making sure all of our investments truly pay off in the long run.  Right now a majority of our economy seems to be monopolized by illegal drug trade and we really need to aim to swing that percentage the other way.  You can never eliminate it and in all honesty I would never try.  The war on drugs fails internationally - so as an emerging economy why would we even try?  For our investments to truly pay off  we need to make sure the economy of Bitcoin grows, and in a positive light.  Right now if you ask someone who has heard of Bitcoin, their first thoughts are often of Silk Road or some digital gold rush.  We need to aim to change the current paradigm so we can increase the adoption rate so people view it more favorably.

One thing I have noticed is that it seems like the goods and services that are offered are offered by convenience.  I'm already part of xyz sector so I'm must going to offer that up.  That is great and all but I hoping to look at this with a focus on Bitcoin.

That being said I'm truly interested to hear what people believe is missing from our economy.  Are there services you woud purchase on a regular basis if they were available?  Are there goods you wish you could buy with your Bitcoin?  Basically - I'm trying to figure out what will get people spending their bitcoins.  There will always be the people that hoard and you can't stop that.  But I have to believe from what I see on the marketplace, Bitmit, etc - that people truly want to spend their BTC.  The problem is the things we want aren't always available to us.

To be clear about it - yes, I am looking for ideas on where to head with a Bitcoin related business.  However I know and believe that if this is going to work - there need to be many people that takes this initiative.  Which is why I am creating this thread.  I could quietly ask people what they would like to see, buy, etc and go on my merry way about making a business for myself.  But I dont believe that will get US anywhere.  There need to be many people thinking this way - taking the risks to go on these ventures because if this doesn't happen - whenever Silk Road closes we will probably watch the value of our beloved BTC swirl down the proverbial toilet.  I dont know about you guys - but I sure do not want that.

Hopefully the trolls can keep to themselves to the most part and we can open a healthy dialog.

If you have >100 posts play the Circle of Trust Game  If I have helped you in any way, or you are just feeling generous... please feel free to donate! Smiley LNarfMNLyymkS9WYQFLcmr46AeMYNP8Qj2
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 12:26:08 AM

What would I like to buy with my bitcoins?

Obligatory troll:
Cars, racehorses, boats, mansions, islands, girls ... not necessarily in that order Smiley

or more seriously;
computer stuff, food, mortgage payments, kids crap, petrol, clothes, house stuff ....  Tongue

Yuhfhrh

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 12:56:40 AM

Quality food that can be bought locally with bitcoins (fruits and veggies)
Lethn
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1000

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 08:22:33 AM

I'd just like to see Bitcoin companies that don't revolve around mining and have a real long term plan to be a business, not just a blatant scam.
niko

Activity: 756
Merit: 501

There is more to Bitcoin than bitcoins.

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 08:36:51 AM

Quality food that can be bought locally with bitcoins (fruits and veggies)

This. Talk to farmers at the local market. Do not mention "accepting bitcoins" but "accepting payments through Bitcoin network" - with MtGox, Paysius, BitPay and similar merchant solutions they would be getting their local currency without even worrying about bitcoins. If they decide to keep some or all of the coins - why, even better. Offer them something in exchange, like math tutoring for their kids.

They're there, in their room.
Your mining rig is on fire, yet you're very calm.
evoorhees
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1021

Democracy is the original 51% attack

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 03:03:25 PM

Right now a majority of our economy seems to be monopolized by illegal drug trade

Sorry to be nitpicky, but very incorrect use of the term "monopolized" here. One could argue that drug trade is a large part (though nobody knows if it's even a majority), but even if it were 90% of the economy there is no "monopoly" going on.

Monopolies cannot exist in a free market... or more accurately, they can only exist if everyone loves them, and then there is no issue.
MPOE-PR

Merit: 522

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:12:11 PM

Right now a majority of our economy seems to be monopolized by illegal drug trade and we really need to aim to swing that percentage the other way.

Would you kindly stop repeating that stupid nonsense? This is the equivalent to joining a women's rights organization and starting by saying "So I know y'all are here cause you can't get laid".

Otherwise, see here.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
herzmeister
Legendary

Activity: 1764
Merit: 1007

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 05:43:35 PM

Monopolies cannot exist in a free market... or more accurately, they can only exist if everyone loves them

Like Facebook.  Embarrassed

https://localbitcoins.com/?ch=80k | BTC: 1LJvmd1iLi199eY7EVKtNQRW3LqZi8ZmmB
nevafuse

Activity: 247
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:40:26 PM

We need to aim to change the current paradigm so we can increase the adoption rate so people view it more favorably.

Why are people always trying to forcibly push bitcoin in a certain direction?  Bitcoin will organically pick a path & run with it.  You don't have to sell it for it to work.  It isn't going to go away just because people stop promoting it.  

It is pretty easy to continue using old money to purchase what is currently deemed as legal.  What is more difficult to purchase, especially online, are items that are deemed illegal.  Who would of thought a digital, anonymous currency would start heading in this direction?  If this was the only benefit, bitcoin could end up only being a niche currency.  But fortunately, there are other, more legitimate reasons.

Fiat currencies have forever increasing supplies which creates price inflation.  Most people don't like saving money only to realize it is being eroded away by inflation.  Here's another void bitcoin will easily fill that isn't frowned upon.  This will create a domino effect because a majority of people's wealth will be stored in bitcoins to avoid inflation.  How long will this take to happen?  Who knows.  And even if you don't care for places like silkroad, just realize those places are getting the word out about bitcoin.  Even if it is bad press, people will soon start to realize how many other great characteristics bitcoin has.

But I wouldn't recommend throwing your life savings into bitcoin yet.  It is still going to be a VERY bumpy road.  Just wait until the banks boycott sending money to mtgox like they did wikileaks.  It may not kill bitcoin, but it will certainly extend its adoption period.

The only reason to limit the block size is to subsidize non-Bitcoin currencies
MPOE-PR

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:01:12 PM

But I wouldn't recommend throwing your life savings into bitcoin yet.  It is still going to be a VERY bumpy road.  Just wait until the banks boycott sending money to mtgox like they did wikileaks.  It may not kill bitcoin, but it will certainly extend its adoption period.

If they did that the French people with a PSP license would probably just take over.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4437

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:05:17 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2012, 07:20:15 PM by franky1

in short fast food

a few of us on the litecoin side are talking about just-eat.com

a international website that links many fast food places in different countries together by allowing you to order their food through the website and have it delivered. mostly europe, canada and mexico is covered, sorry america isnt really listed but this is a great website that if they would accept any crypto currency, it would be a great start.

the best way to begin is if you have used their service or you see your favourite fast food delivery place listed, email just eat with a simple "do you accept bitcoin?".

give them time to realise there is a growing interest/demand in accepting bitcoin(or litecoin) and then one of the nice respected guys among us, such as the talents of bitinstant can formally contact the HQ with a payment solution where they wont have to worry about understanding mining or block chains. but simply displaying a public address and the money gets sent via SEPA/debit card to them.

although just-eat is europe based, maybe a good PR guy from bitcoin central.. hopefully without hyping up things too much that he has to retract his first statements lol

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
MKEGuy (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:10:35 PM

As usual, those with nothing to contribute have to chime in with their satoshi or two.  I'll never quite understand that mentality.

Interested to hear what others have to say.

If you have >100 posts play the Circle of Trust Game  If I have helped you in any way, or you are just feeling generous... please feel free to donate! Smiley LNarfMNLyymkS9WYQFLcmr46AeMYNP8Qj2
Saturn7

Activity: 147

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:18:32 PM

The only thing I want is 1 satoshi to be worth $1 then I can be happy.

First there was Fire, then Electricity, and now Bitcoins Wink
MKEGuy (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:54:51 PM

Otherwise, see here.

Already read it a while ago - thought it was hilarious.

We need to aim to change the current paradigm so we can increase the adoption rate so people view it more favorably.

Why are people always trying to forcibly push bitcoin in a certain direction?  Bitcoin will organically pick a path & run with it.  You don't have to sell it for it to work.  It isn't going to go away just because people stop promoting it.  

It is pretty easy to continue using old money to purchase what is currently deemed as legal.  What is more difficult to purchase, especially online, are items that are deemed illegal.  Who would of thought a digital, anonymous currency would start heading in this direction?  If this was the only benefit, bitcoin could end up only being a niche currency.  But fortunately, there are other, more legitimate reasons.

Fiat currencies have forever increasing supplies which creates price inflation.  Most people don't like saving money only to realize it is being eroded away by inflation.  Here's another void bitcoin will easily fill that isn't frowned upon.  This will create a domino effect because a majority of people's wealth will be stored in bitcoins to avoid inflation.  How long will this take to happen?  Who knows.  And even if you don't care for places like silkroad, just realize those places are getting the word out about bitcoin.  Even if it is bad press, people will soon start to realize how many other great characteristics bitcoin has.

The problem with most of your post is it comes from someone who is already pro bitcoin.  I've already spent a lot of time asking a lot of other people if they have heard of and what they think of Bitcoin.  I was also sure to make sure I was taking input from a wide range of people so i didn't just focus on the "computer nerds", the everyday "clueless", etc.

And while I'll agree monopoly wasn't necessarily the best word for it - its the majority none the less.  And it needs to be changed.  Funny enough there are a lot of people who know of bitcoin that mentioned it.  Ignoring it doesn't make it go away.

MPOE-PR

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 08:26:07 PM

I've already spent a lot of time asking a lot of other people if they have heard of and what they think of Bitcoin.  I was also sure to make sure I was taking input from a wide range of people so i didn't just focus on the "computer nerds", the everyday "clueless", etc.

You currently do not have a name, a face, or any value. The weasely pretense of "things you've done" would go over a lot better if either a) you were somebody as opposed to nobody or else b) it were documented. If I say "I've talked to a lot of idiots just like you," I can readily back it up with links to me talking to lots of idiots just like you saying and doing the same idiotic things you're saying and doing. The difference is I don't need to, because unlike you, a).

So let's get back on track here. Get in the WOT, lurk moar, come back 1 yr.

franky1
Legendary

Activity: 4200
Merit: 4437

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 08:32:05 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2012, 08:53:45 PM by franky1

another solution for the arm chair entrepreneurs is drop shipping..

with dropshipping the entrepreneurs amongst us dont have to worry about pre-purchasing stock, packaging it and paying delivery costs or waiting for delivery vans to come to them at all hours of the day,

all you need to do is search drop shipping on google, find a supplier/product that you want to sell. Make an script that converts the supplier price into a btc price (adding on of course a nice commission and conversion fees) and then start selling it on your own website.

then just pay the drop shipper and give the drop shipper the delivery address of the customer. and that is it. the drop shipper does all the hard work while you keep the extra commission you added to the bill, without having to do much more hard work then paying a supplier and pasting a delivery address.

hopefully a bitcoin debit card will make the whole process more stream lined. and relationships can be build up for the drop shipper to take BTC to not even require converting to fiat to purchase stock. but atleast the first baby steps is to get more products available for people to buy.

I DO NOT TRADE OR ACT AS ESCROW ON THIS FORUM EVER.
Please do your own research & respect what is written here as both opinion & information gleaned from experience. many people replying with insults but no on-topic content substance, automatically are 'facepalmed' and yawned at
remotemass
Legendary

Activity: 1116
Merit: 1016

ASMR El Salvador

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 08:47:39 PM

One idea: a random.org for the bitcoin enthusiast.

Inventor of: "Conic-Upward-Jet-Thrust 𝕊ℙ𝔸ℂ𝔼 𝔼𝕃𝔼𝕍𝔸𝕋𝕆ℝ" ¦¦ Monetize pics of in/out cash (with GPS metatag on and timestamp captions) ¦¦ archive.is/OMUJQ ¦¦ Forking LITECOIN: bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=5362345 ¦¦ https://twitter.com/CubicPostcode/status/1782131590006477273
247saver

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 09:25:53 PM

in short fast food

a few of us on the litecoin side are talking about just-eat.com

a international website that links many fast food places in different countries together by allowing you to order their food through the website and have it delivered. mostly europe, canada and mexico is covered, sorry america isnt really listed but this is a great website that if they would accept any crypto currency, it would be a great start.

Although it would be great if someone like Just-eat would add bitcoin, it may not happen for a while.

I've just set up FoodbyFone.com

to be a listing place for all food & beverage outlets that accept Bitcoin.  If anyone wants to help by adding in locations you know that accept bitcoin that would be fantastic, the more this could be a useful resource for bitcoiners as a whole.

Listings are free.  I hope spammy listings don't become a problem otherwise may have to add some kind of fee which may put people off listing which would defeat the whole point, on the other hand it could be used as a commission for people who sign up outlets....

I'd love to hear any feedback from the community or anyone who may want to help out perhaps in certain area or country or potentially even take over, e.g. a country or perhaps the whole site if you are ambitious! Smiley

247saver

Activity: 77
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 09:33:19 PM

another solution for the arm chair entrepreneurs is drop shipping..

with dropshipping the entrepreneurs amongst us dont have to worry about pre-purchasing stock, packaging it and paying delivery costs or waiting for delivery vans to come to them at all hours of the day,

all you need to do is search drop shipping on google, find a supplier/product that you want to sell. Make an script that converts the supplier price into a btc price (adding on of course a nice commission and conversion fees) and then start selling it on your own website.

I'm guessing this is basically what Bitcoinstore.com does, and I think they've grabbed a nice niche there and done it well from what I can see,

Taking advantage of bitcoin's no-chargebacks and lower processing/exchange fees to be able to offer competitive prices on competitive stuff.
marcus_of_augustus
Legendary

Activity: 3920
Merit: 2348

Eadem mutata resurgo

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 11:35:23 PM

Pizza ... it would be great if someone could get 2 pizzas delivered to my place if i sent them some bitcoins  (say like 10,000) Cheesy

Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: