Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:40:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: New cooling solution  (Read 2412 times)
Easy2Mine (OP)

Activity: 854
Merit: 500

einc.io

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 10:51:38 PM

The article is in Dutch.
Just click the movie, it is in English
http://tweakers.net/nieuws/86067/bedrijf-ontwikkelt-koeler-met-dikte-van-enkele-millimeters.html

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
pazor
Legendary

Activity: 966
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 11:07:34 PM

very, very interesting idea and technology!

i expect smaller devices next year !

great tip, thank you

treuhand-Dienst gewünscht? - frag per PM an
BTC 174X17nR7vEQBQo4GXKRGMGaTmB49Gf1yT
2GOOD

Activity: 547
Merit: 531

First bits: 12good

View Profile WWW
December 12, 2012, 11:10:32 PM

Amazing technology, has a huge future in ultra thin devices. Only concern is the noise it will make.

Easy2Mine (OP)

einc.io

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 11:45:44 PM

Amazing technology, has a huge future in ultra thin devices. Only concern is the noise it will make.
It will make less noise than coolers with a fan and it use less energy.

Easy2Mine (OP)

einc.io

View Profile
December 12, 2012, 11:53:33 PM

Here is another cooling concept.
Already licensed the technology to partners.
We will see this within a year
http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/sandias-floating-spinning-heatsink-promises-30x-better-cpu-cooling-20120625/

bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 12:07:56 AM

http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/sandias-floating-spinning-heatsink-promises-30x-better-cpu-cooling-20120625/

Seems cool (ha ha pun!), lots of limitations though, can only be placed horizontally, and in immobile situations (heaven help you if your 2500rpm spinning heatsink is tilted). Will be interesting to see what kind of casing they come up with as well, as again, unlike many traditional fans, touchy = baddy.

The piezo fan I like, though I don't think that it's a given that it will be quieter, as you are creating a jet stream, and depending on your application this will require some sort of jiggery-pokery, as mentioned in video. I'm also curious if there are any problems with air re-circulation in ultra-thin, cramped-quarters applications (say the inside of a phone or tablet for example), especially as these devices trend higher in power consumption.

bitpop
Legendary

Activity: 2912
Merit: 1060

View Profile WWW
December 13, 2012, 03:05:51 AM

Wow finally a way to cool phones

crazyates
Legendary

Activity: 952

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 04:49:04 AM

Those Sandia coolers designs were released this summer, but they still have a ways to go before you see them in a desktop. First, they can only be run horizontal. Most desktops are vertical. Second, there's still issues (last time I looked into it) trying to get the heat out of the CPU and into the spinning heatsink. Because there's no direct contact, heat transfer is a big issue at that point. Once the heat makes it to the heatsink, it's pretty easy to cool.

Tips? 1crazy8pMqgwJ7tX7ZPZmyPwFbc6xZKM9
Previous Trade History - Sale Thread
monstrs

Activity: 555
Merit: 504

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:38:24 AM

Intersting solution, just imagine high end GPU with those Smiley
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:58:37 AM

Another few thoughts about the cooling in the OP. Wouldn't the oscillation cause more vibrations than just a normal fan? A fan vibrates a little, but the inherent design of the blades always having a counterweight spinning negates most movement. If these "pockets" were expanding and contraction out of sync, even just a little, wouldn't it "jump" and cause some movement?

Also, it never actually said how much airflow you can cool. They replaced a laptop fan, but some laptops hardly even need a fan to begin with. They also cooled the vertical sheet with 6 of these, but from 80C to 40C. 40C is not exactly a high performance cooling solution for an entire board.

Luno

Activity: 504
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 08:15:48 AM

a vibrating piezo fan is nothing new. I saw this as a concept more than 10 years ago. They are violating several patents if they market this..
RaTTuS

Activity: 792

Bite me

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 09:35:28 AM

it's all well and good until it gets clogged with a bit of dust Wink

In the Beginning there was CPU , then GPU , then FPGA then ASIC, what next I hear to ask ....

1RaTTuSEN7jJUDiW1EGogHwtek7g9BiEn
LiteBit
Legendary

Activity: 1133
Merit: 1050

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 02:10:08 PM

it's all well and good until it gets clogged with a bit of dust Wink

maybe they could rub some nano particles all over it so the dust just slides right off.
crazyates
Legendary

View Profile
December 14, 2012, 11:43:49 PM

The spinning heatsink makes no sense at all though, surface area is the main thing that dictates cooling capacity and it offers no advantage there while the air gap is unavoidable with the design and cripples heat flow.

Hmmm I'll give you the second point, as transferring heat from a stationary heat source to a rotating heatsink seems a little iffy. However, I think you're wrong on the first account. Surface area is not the main concern in cooling. Did you watch the movie? This heatsink has a lower surface area, but is still better at transferring heat from the metal to the air because the spinning motion minimizes the boundary layer or air bubble on the heatsink. You cut the surface area by 1/3, but make it 3x more efficient at heat transfer, and you've got the same amount of heat dissipation.

witherworth

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 01:36:40 AM

That's a pretty slick idea. My favorite idea so far though is a powerless (IE doesn't use electricity)  sterling engine fan/cooler setup (search YouTube). The idea is to convert the heat energy into mechanical energy to turn a fan, cooling down the heatsink. The hotter the chip, the larger the heat difference, the faster the fan spins. As it cools down, the heat difference decreases, and the fan speed decreases. By mechanical design, it'll regulate it's temperature. Its a pretty slow startup, which wouldn't work too well with a GPU, but for minor applications (northbridge, supplementary fan on the motherboard, Raspberry Pi, etc), it works great!
Gabi
Legendary

Activity: 1148
Merit: 1008

If you want to walk on water, get out of the boat

View Profile
December 15, 2012, 06:50:14 PM

Seems cool (ha ha pun!), lots of limitations though, can only be placed horizontally, and in immobile situations (heaven help you if your 2500rpm spinning heatsink is tilted). Will be interesting to see what kind of casing they come up with as well, as again, unlike many traditional fans, touchy = baddy.

The piezo fan I like, though I don't think that it's a given that it will be quieter, as you are creating a jet stream, and depending on your application this will require some sort of jiggery-pokery, as mentioned in video. I'm also curious if there are any problems with air re-circulation in ultra-thin, cramped-quarters applications (say the inside of a phone or tablet for example), especially as these devices trend higher in power consumption.

As far as i know it can be placed how you want, not only horizontally. And it will have a proper case.

bcpokey

Activity: 602

View Profile
December 16, 2012, 09:56:25 PM

As far as i know it can be placed how you want, not only horizontally. And it will have a proper case.

How would a floating heatsink be able to placed in a different orientation than horizontal? Seems like any other orientation would decrease its efficiency or cause it to simply break down altogether.
meowmeowbrowncow

Activity: 322
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 17, 2012, 04:21:14 AM

How would a floating heatsink be able to placed in a different orientation than horizontal? Seems like any other orientation would decrease its efficiency or cause it to simply break down altogether.

Not an expert, but did a little research on the sandia cooler and air bearings in general.

If it's fixed on an axis and given sufficient spin/force the air bearing can maintain separation in other orientations (of course inverted would be bad).  I'd venture to say that the gap is less predictable in any orientation other than horizontal.  Maintaining the smallest gap possible is very important for this application.

"Bitcoin has been an amazing ride, but the most fascinating part to me is the seemingly universal tendency of libertarians to immediately become authoritarians the very moment they are given any measure of power to silence the dissent of others."  - The Bible
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: