Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 12:55:28 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Electrum Help: Password seeds etc all lost, have I lost my 5 Btcs forever :-(  (Read 844 times)
Oinky (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 11:24:42 AM

Please could a Moderator move this to Electrum Bitcoin forum part. I'm thinking it'll get better responses being there (Forum > Bitcoin > Development & Technical Discussion > Alternative clients > Electrum) - cheers :-)

I have my own PC and its tweak just the way I like it (yes I know its a bit OCD but I like it that way); very v fast and I have warned all my family to stay off it. Bitcoins I've been following more or less from the start, lack of cash has prevented my making any serious cash but I understand its not just about that.

I've never really settled on 1 Wallet that I prefer to use all the time; I've tried quite a few to date and uninstalled most of 'em all. My scare was using a temp online Wallet that's just announced its pulling the site as its been compromised, thankfully I just used the site this once and for a short stay with my Btc's in, which I sent to my Tablets Wallet soon as I could. Again I was never really keen on the Tablets Wallet also, so because of this scare I decided its about time to get a full time Wallet, and at last I found what I classed as my perfect Wallet in Electrum.

I downloaded it, installed, and in meantime went and got myself a beer, came back to it up and running, Wow I thought, I really like the look of this. So I played around for a couple o minutes to familiarize myself with it, and Yes I thought, this is definitely the 1, so I scan the Wallets Addy with tablet and send them to Electrum Wallet without thinking, and Duh, the bombshell dropped as soon as I sent: I didn't recall getting the option to create a password or select a server etc when installing it.

In puzzlement, why did I not get this freaking option... and after 20mins or so trying to guess its password etc. I stroll into my Bro's room asking him if he's used my PC lately, "not for a few months he added" So after a couple of slaps I got him to admit that he'd used my PC when trying 2 source a Wallet for himself. Turns out he'd already tried Electrum but had uninstalled it immediately; so when I came to install it, not realizing its for the 2nd time, obviously its defaulted to 1st install for its setup passwords etc, and now my bugger of a bro cannot remember ANY of the info he entered, so I'm stuck with a nice Electrum software that is goner be my Wallet, showing just over 5 Bitcoins in and cannot retrieve them in anyway as I don't know any of the settings.

Please if anyone can help and guide me a way I can get around this. I'm so broke atm and selling these coins would make a big difference as you can imagine (I was was hoping to put some of the cash towards our mums medical bills). I've thumped my Bro enough and I do also take a little responsibility for it, I should have been more alert when installing it

many many thanks in advance
regards Oinky

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin network protocol was designed to be extremely flexible. It can be used to create timed transactions, escrow transactions, multi-signature transactions, etc. The current features of the client only hint at what will be possible in the future.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 11:37:17 AM

Here is what I understand:

- Electrum was already installed on your PC. You thought you were installing it for the first time, but you were just upgrading it.
 - You have sent 5 btc to a wallet owned by your brother.

if your brother did not save his seed, the only solution is to find the password he used.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
Oinky (OP)

Activity: 4
Merit: 0

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 11:41:39 AM

Here is what I understand:

- Electrum was already installed on your PC. You thought you were installing it for the first time, but you were just upgrading it.
 - You have sent 5 btc to a wallet owned by your brother.

if your brother did not save his seed, the only solution is to find the password he used.

Yeah that's it, sorry as I have a tendency to go a lots.

Aye, he can't remember any of it, so I've set my mind on they are gone for good,
thx for confirming that, sooner I know faster its got over, lol
cheers
ThomasV
Legendary

Activity: 1896
Merit: 1353

View Profile WWW
April 05, 2013, 11:43:26 AM

well, if your brother has a tendency to use weak passwords, you could ask a miner to crack it.
not sure if it will cost you more or less than 5 btc.

Electrum: the convenience of a web wallet, without the risks
DannyHamilton
Legendary

Activity: 3388
Merit: 4616

View Profile
April 05, 2013, 08:19:42 PM

well, if your brother has a tendency to use weak passwords, you could ask a miner to crack it.
not sure if it will cost you more or less than 5 btc.

Hang on to the wallet.  Assume that if your brother is dumb enough to use your computer that he knows he shouldn't be using, then he's probably dumb enough to use a weak password as well.  Some day in the future perhaps 5 BTC will be worth $5,000,000 (or £3,260,305).  At that point, you might be able to afford to pay someone to attempt a brute force (or dictionary) attack on your brother's password.
stick

Activity: 441
Merit: 266

View Profile
April 10, 2013, 03:11:43 PM

If you have electrum.dat from your brother's wallet I can look at it and try to recover your bitcoins like I did here: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=170188.0

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: