Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:15:01 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bitcoin is not user friendly.  (Read 1081 times)
MiningBuddy (OP)

Activity: 927
Merit: 1000

฿itcoin ฿itcoin ฿itcoin

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 05:35:39 PM

Hey guys, saw this excellent post on Reddit just now and thought it deserved more exposure to you.
http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/htrl9/bitcoin_is_not_userfriendly_heres_a_short_list_of/

Enjoy

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"I'm sure that in 20 years there will either be very large transaction volume or no volume." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Jaime Frontero

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 05:40:38 PM

there are some valid points in that article.

i've gotten two people onto bitcoin now - my daughter is one, and she said pretty much the same thing.

but it's not like the developers don't get it - they acknowledge these issues and are working on them.  hell, it's barely a beta.
titeuf_87

Activity: 111
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 05:58:04 PM

Most of the suggestions in that article are just UI tweaks, but personally, I'd rather don't see the official client implement those as more advanced users like to see the block counts, number of confirmations, connections, etc...

Ideally there should be two interfaces: a simple one used by the majority of the people and a "complex" one, that implements more details that only advanced users would like to see.

One more point I want to address:
7. Listing the address that received the transaction is silly. Of course I received it with that address, because that's the address I'm currently viewing the transactions for. Show me where it came from.
This is not really possible, as there can be more than one source address.

A possible solution could be the following: hide the your bitcoin address from the interface and add an extra button in the toolbar: "Receive Coins". This will show a new dialog box with a freshly generated address and you can add in a description like you can when clicking on new address.

This way, when users want to receive a payment, they click on the receive coins button, send their new address to whoever is going to pay them and don't have to worry about the rest anymore. This makes it also more obvious to use one address per transaction instead of people reusing their addresses.

15kfBM3TQ4PGzL7cKncU3su2pH7ZJmiLtr
jerfelix

Activity: 266
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 06:18:58 PM

I think it's pretty funny that the user blurred out a bunch of information on his screen shot (here http://mlkshk.com/r/35UI ), but left some critical information to his identification.

Specifically, by showing the total number of blocks, and the total number of confirmations of the two transactions, he probably gave enough information to narrow down his wallet ID to just a few possibilities.  And we know he's 54mf on Reddit, so we could get a lot more info.

My point is not to expose this guy, as I think he has some great advice about the software.  I'm just trying to remind people to think about their privacy.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: