Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 01:50:14 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: How can I recover bitcoins from an account I can't access?  (Read 703 times)
sellstar928 (OP)

Activity: 11
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:27:36 PM

So I made another post about having bitcoins in my old account at the now defunct BitcoinMarket.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=130417.0

Basically, I cannot access my account because I can't remember the password, and it's probably locked due to failed attempts. I have nearly given up hope contacting Dustin Dollar, since he has yet to respond to my help requests and emails. I assume that he no longer uses the accounts I'm sending messages to.

I have access to the transaction history, and show the funds being transferred from my account at MtGox to my acocunt at BitcoinMarket. There are about 20 bitcoins there, that I totally forgot existed. (Yeah Yeah, I know... it's stupid.) I'm wondering if there is ANY way I can recover these funds without being able to log on to BitcoinMarket? Are they really lost forever because I can't remember my password? What can I do?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1000

English <-> Portuguese translations

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 05:52:03 PM

There isn't any support that you can prove that this account is yours?

English <-> Brazilian Portuguese translations
sellstar928 (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:01:11 PM

There isn't any support that you can prove that this account is yours?

At BitcoinMarket? Well, I'm not getting any replies from any of the email addresses listed on the site. I'm assuming the site was run entirely by Dustin. I can look up my user number on BitcoinMarket and it's the same as my user here AND in MtGox (sellstar928):

https://www.bitcoinmarket.com/market/members/view/?market_memberID=5062

And in MtGox I show two withdrawls to the same account (in BitcoinMarket). What other proof did you have in mind?
Jutarul
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 994

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:20:47 PM

So I made another post about having bitcoins in my old account at the now defunct BitcoinMarket.

Basically, I cannot access my account because I can't remember the password, and it's probably locked due to failed attempts. I have nearly given up hope contacting Dustin Dollar, since he has yet to respond to my help requests and emails. I assume that he no longer uses the accounts I'm sending messages to.

I have access to the transaction history, and show the funds being transferred from my account at MtGox to my acocunt at BitcoinMarket. There are about 20 bitcoins there, that I totally forgot existed. (Yeah Yeah, I know... it's stupid.) I'm wondering if there is ANY way I can recover these funds without being able to log on to BitcoinMarket? Are they really lost forever because I can't remember my password? What can I do?
Passwort reset?

ADDENDUM: https://www.bitcoinmarket.com/process/reset_password/

The ASICMINER Project https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=99497.0
"The way you solve things is by making it politically profitable for the wrong people to do the right thing.", Milton Friedman
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:22:10 PM

Passwort reset?

Yeah, or an e-mail confirmation

sellstar928 (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:38:46 PM

The reset confirmation email is never sent. That was the first thing I tried... The email address I'm using is 100% valid, because trying other emails returns a response of

Error: Unrecognized Email Address

Yeah, or an e-mail confirmation

There are no confirmation emails sent for transferred funds. If there was, what would I be able to do with it?
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 06:43:21 PM

Oh, not that type of confirmation, I mean, when you register yourecieve a confirmation e-mail to the site know that this e-mail address is yours.

sellstar928 (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:03:36 PM

Oh, not that type of confirmation, I mean, when you register you recieve a confirmation e-mail to the site know that this e-mail address is yours.

Yep, I absolutely do still have that!
DarkHyudrA
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:23:47 PM

Oh, not that type of confirmation, I mean, when you register you recieve a confirmation e-mail to the site know that this e-mail address is yours.

Yep, I absolutely do still have that!

With both e-mails(one before and after the confirmation) are a excellent proof that the e-mail is yours to reclaim your account.
Now you just need to contact their support.

A minimum hope in me was saying that in those confirmation e-mails you would find something like
"username: xyz"
"password: mysuperpassword"
 Undecided

sellstar928 (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:33:03 PM
Last edit: December 13, 2012, 07:50:46 PM by sellstar928

With both e-mails(one before and after the confirmation) are a excellent proof that the e-mail is yours to reclaim your account.
Now you just need to contact their support.

A minimum hope in me was saying that in those confirmation e-mails you would find something like
"username: xyz"
"password: mysuperpassword"
 Undecided

There was no email sent after confirmation. I save all my emails regarding bitcoin transactions and passwords. I am still getting no reply from their support, since the website has not been maintained or updated in over a year. I assume whoever checked those emails when the site was active no longer checks them... and there is a pile on unread messages slowly growing in their support inbox. Sigh...

Any other ways to recover those funds if they never respond to my support requests?

EDIT: The Reddit community has potentially come to the rescue! See here: http://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/14smbz/recovering_bitcoins_from_an_inaccessible_account/

DarkHyudrA
Legendary

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 07:52:32 PM

Sorry but...
No support, no reset password, no way in.

sellstar928 (OP)

View Profile
December 13, 2012, 11:35:56 PM
Last edit: December 14, 2012, 01:26:37 AM by sellstar928

Damn... I thought I found the guy, too. Turns out he owned BitMarket, not BitcoinMarket. The search continues...

EDIT: This topic is now closed. My account password has been restored, and the password reset emails all came through at once (about 15 of them). The bitcoins I thought should be there are not there, and my account is at a zero balance. Now I must locate the bitcoins in question.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: