Bitcoin Forum
May 04, 2024, 05:09:29 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: How much bitcoins do you put on an exchange at any one time?  (Read 1163 times)
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 01:33:37 PM

So since ive gotten into the bitcoin game ive basically been a holder only using it for either buying alt coins or small purchases. With the price fluctuating so much i thought maybe i would give some trading a go but my concern is that obviously i would have to transfer the coins out of my wallet and into someone else's (the exchange). this is a worry for me since the golden rule is never store your bitcoins on an exchange.

At the moment i have less than 0.3 btc on exchanges , So my question is how much are you comfortable having on an exchange and do you transfer it out straight away after trading?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
avw1982

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 06:15:53 AM

So since ive gotten into the bitcoin game ive basically been a holder only using it for either buying alt coins or small purchases. With the price fluctuating so much i thought maybe i would give some trading a go but my concern is that obviously i would have to transfer the coins out of my wallet and into someone else's (the exchange). this is a worry for me since the golden rule is never store your bitcoins on an exchange.

At the moment i have less than 0.3 btc on exchanges , So my question is how much are you comfortable having on an exchange and do you transfer it out straight away after trading?

Normally I use to sell my bitcoins through localbitcoins.com only. Last week I sold 0.6BTC  and I got some good fiat cash for that. This is highest one time selling in bitcoin. Mostly I use to save bitcoin. For emergency reason I sold these bitcoins. Else I would not sell my bitcoins.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 07:22:03 AM

it depend on the value, and how much you are willing to lose in case the exchange is hacked, i would say 1 btc max at the moment as an average amount
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2015, 11:32:25 AM

see thats probably about how much i would put in at once, id also use localbitcoins but since ive never sold any before i dont even know how long it would take to get a buyer, Whereas on a proper exchange i see some people dumping 100s-1000s, which means they must have an unholy amount of bitcoins sitting on the exchange.

Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 11:35:22 AM

There is no restriction as such to hold the amount of bitcoins while trading.It all depends on how much you can afford to put it.I'm a trader at localbitcoins with only 0.20 btc for sell and buy .I traded with same for about a month and roughly made about 0.30 at the end .Offering good rates and managing your prices according to the current trend is what really matters.
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 29, 2015, 11:45:51 AM

There is no restriction as such to hold the amount of bitcoins while trading.It all depends on how much you can afford to put it.I'm a trader at localbitcoins with only 0.20 btc for sell and buy .I traded with same for about a month and roughly made about 0.30 at the end .Offering good rates and managing your prices according to the current trend is what really matters.

And how long roughly after putting your coin up for sale does it take for someone to buy them? obviously in an exchange you can dump them instantly for slightly underprice but localbitcoins is a different case altogether.

arthurminton

Activity: 86
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 12:00:08 PM

And how long roughly after putting your coin up for sale does it take for someone to buy them? obviously in an exchange you can dump them instantly for slightly underprice but localbitcoins is a different case altogether.
well I would say time is not something that matters as long as you are getting the price you want you are doing just fine, but to answer your question it hardly takes a minute.
I am a trader myself with lots of other side businesses and I normally trade with 0.05btc any given trade it is not about the more you put the more you get, but to manage the risk factor.

MaritiJames3

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 09:06:05 PM

I never keep more then 1 Bitcoin per exchange. Since i use more exchanges (bittrex, kraken en btc38), my total of bitcoins at risk never exceeds 3 bitcoin.

The moment i buy some alts i directly withdraw them into my pc wallet.
avw1982

Activity: 644

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:42:40 AM

I never keep more then 1 Bitcoin per exchange. Since i use more exchanges (bittrex, kraken en btc38), my total of bitcoins at risk never exceeds 3 bitcoin.

The moment i buy some alts i directly withdraw them into my pc wallet.

To exchange a bitcoin in to fiat cash is according to our wish and need of the situation and emergency. I use to do in these timings only. Else I use to hold most of bitcoins. If I exchange also I won’t do more than 1 BTC.
lorylore
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1002

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 07:15:23 AM

try not to keep ur btc in exchange. there is popular case like mtgox where you can lose all ur bitcoin when the system got hacked. so the best is still offline wallet. however, i do keep a bit in btc-e for changing to diff currency if there is a need and havelock to buy some shares when i like.
expert4knowledge

Activity: 826

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 01:11:57 PM

try not to keep ur btc in exchange. there is popular case like mtgox where you can lose all ur bitcoin when the system got hacked. so the best is still offline wallet. however, i do keep a bit in btc-e for changing to diff currency if there is a need and havelock to buy some shares when i like.
So are you thinking that blockchain is not safe? You pc maybe stolen also!!

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
              ▄███▌ █
             ▀▀▀██▄  █
           ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
          █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄██ ███▄    █
        ▐███▀   ▀█   █
        ████     █   █
       ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
       ▀▄▄███▌      █
   ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
 ▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
               █  ▄▀
               ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
  ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
   ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄  ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
    ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
   ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
     ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
     ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████  ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
     █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
     ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                                ▄█████
                                                                            ▄███████▀
                                                                            ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
  LIGHTPAPER...
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
wikenpp

Activity: 672

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 04:59:15 PM

I use 4 exchanges and only on kraken.com i hold over 10 BTC. the other exchanges i withdraw anything above 1 BTC.
We've seen too many exchange scams lately.
BellaBitBit

Activity: 756

View Profile
December 31, 2015, 11:00:15 PM

I try to keep it to 1-1.5 on an exchange.  I am not terribly comfortable with exchanges yet. I prefer to get it to a wallet and vaulted.

I love Bitcoin
expert4knowledge

Activity: 826

The All-in-One Cryptocurrency Exchange

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 11:45:30 AM

I try to keep it to 1-1.5 on an exchange.  I am not terribly comfortable with exchanges yet. I prefer to get it to a wallet and vaulted.
I think this seems fine idea to not hold all what you have in only one online website and have them in different accounts.

██████
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
                ▄███
              ▄███▌ █
             ▀▀▀██▄  █
           ▄███▄▄ ▀▀▀█
          █ █████▀▀▀▄▄
         ▄██ ███▄    █
        ▐███▀   ▀█   █
        ████     █   █
       ▄██▀▄█▄▄▄█▀   █
       ▀▄▄███▌      █
   ▄▄▄▀▀▀████       █
 ▄▀    ██ ██       █
▐▌     ██▌▐▌      ▀▄
█      ██ █         ▀▄
█      █▀▄▌          █
█   ▄▀█▄██           █
█ ▄▀      ▀▀▄▄▀▄     █
▀▀             █    █
               █  ▄▀
               ▀▄█
     ▀█████████████▄▄
  ▀ ▀▀▀███████████████▌
   ▀ ▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀██████         ▄███████▄      ▄▄███████▄    ▄███▄    ▄███▄ ▄███▄      ▄███▄
▀ ▀▀▀▀█████▄▄▄▄▄▄█████▌       ▄████▀▀▀████▄   ▐████▀▀█████   ▀████▄  ▄████▀ █████▄    ▄█████
    ▀▀███████████████▀       █████     ████▌          ████▌    ▀████████▀    █████▄  ▄█████▌
   ▀ ▀████████████████▀ ▀    ██████████████▌   ▄▄██████████     ▄██████▄      █████▄▄█████▌
     ██████      ██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀ █████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀    █████▀▀▀█████    ▄████████▄      ██████████▌
     ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▄ ▄    ████▄▄   ▄▄█▄   ████▄  ▄█████  ▄█████▀▀█████▄     ████████▌
     █████████████████▀        ▀███████████   ▀████████████  ████▀    ▀████      ██████▌
     ██████████████▀▀             ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀       ▀▀▀▀▀▀ ▀▀▀    ▀▀        ▀▀        █████
                                                                                ▄█████
                                                                            ▄███████▀
                                                                            ▀████▀▀
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
██████
|█████████████████
███████████████████
█████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
███████████████████████
  WHITEPAPER 
  LIGHTPAPER...
|Instant Deposit
✓ 24/7 Support
Referral Program
helloeverybody (OP)
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 01, 2016, 12:22:25 PM

Sounds like everyone is as wary as me when putting coins onto an exchange, i would only really be happy with 1 or less bitcoins on exchange and take it off as soon as ive done whatever trade, however i dont really do much trading so im sure there are some big traders out there that put lots on without worry.

greBit

Activity: 714

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 01:04:38 PM

Sounds like everyone is as wary as me when putting coins onto an exchange, i would only really be happy with 1 or less bitcoins on exchange and take it off as soon as ive done whatever trade, however i dont really do much trading so im sure there are some big traders out there that put lots on without worry.

Yes there are some really good traders who makes our job easier with less commission and a peace of mind since they are genuine and have a good reputations , but nowadays most of the people are just spending Bitcoin for shopping online rather than exchanging .
Arcteryx

Activity: 728

EtherSphere - Social Games

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 02:22:09 PM

I would not hold more than 1 bitcoin on an exchange in fear of them going bust.
I am sure there would be telltale signs before it happens but still  Roll Eyes holding more than 1 bitcoin in an exchange wallet is just asking for trouble.

........EtherSphere........
.....ICO Starts on 5th August, 4:00 PM UTC.....
.......High ROI Social Ethereum Games
........BENEFITS WHITEPAPER ANN THREAD GITHUB REDDIT TWITTER........

░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████████▀░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▄█████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░██████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀███████████████████▄░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████████████████▄░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▀░░░
░░░░░░░▄█████████████████▀▀░░░░░
░░░░░▄████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░......................
jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 06:32:44 PM

That's a good amount actually.
Also i have some guidelines
On bittrex i keep more then on c-cex for example.
The more trust the bigger the amount.
mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 06:36:29 PM

I've really prefer to use Shapeshift for many of small transactions than to trust an account with my money and details. I know it's more expensive, but it's quick and on the fly. So to answer your question, it's 0 since the amount is never actually deposited in any exchange.
Arcteryx

Activity: 728

EtherSphere - Social Games

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 10:36:41 PM

I've really prefer to use Shapeshift for many of small transactions than to trust an account with my money and details. I know it's more expensive, but it's quick and on the fly. So to answer your question, it's 0 since the amount is never actually deposited in any exchange.
I use them too because it is accountless for any transaction/exchange with a lot of available alternative cryptos and the wait time is instantaneously.
Pretty amazing system if you ask me. I am a happy customer with them  Smiley

........EtherSphere........
.....ICO Starts on 5th August, 4:00 PM UTC.....
.......High ROI Social Ethereum Games
........BENEFITS WHITEPAPER ANN THREAD GITHUB REDDIT TWITTER........

░░░░░░░░░░░▄██████████████▀░░░░░
░░░░░░░░▄█████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░▄██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░██████░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░██████▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
░░░░░░░▀███████████████████▄░░░░
░░░░░░░░░▀▀██████████████████▄░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███████░░
░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄██████▀░░░
░░░░░░░▄█████████████████▀▀░░░░░
░░░░░▄████████████████▀▀░░░░░░░░......................
mtnsaa
Legendary

Activity: 1568

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 11:28:18 PM

I use them too because it is accountless for any transaction/exchange with a lot of available alternative cryptos and the wait time is instantaneously.
Pretty amazing system if you ask me. I am a happy customer with them  Smiley

Exactly, I don't really understand how many prefer to leave huge amounts of BTC in exchanges. I mean I understand you set a price and forget about it (either for buying or selling) but you are definitely at risk. Poloniex seems the best option from what I've heard. Does anybody knows exactly HOW much expensive Shapeshift is compared to other exchanges? I know how it works, it takes the value from other exchanges and takes a cut, but I've always wondered how much is the price difference between using Poloniex for example or Shapeshift.
clineberm1999

Activity: 13
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 01, 2016, 11:29:55 PM

almost one btc, why ask question like this?
Pages: 1 2 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: