Bitcoin Forum
April 18, 2024, 11:42:11 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hard Fork Drama?  (Read 898 times)
MatTheCat (OP)

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 03:03:50 PM

Who can explain to me in a nutshell, what this 'Hard Fork Drama' is?

I remain generally ignorant of the more technical aspects of Bitcoin but am seeing this 'Hard Fork' being discussed,  and traders of Bitcoin sweating blood over it........so, aside from the fact this 'Hard Fork' is bearish as fuck, what actually is it?

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The block chain is the main innovation of Bitcoin. It is the first distributed timestamping system.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Hyena
Legendary

Activity: 2114
Merit: 1011

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 03:06:29 PM

I remain generally ignorant of the more technical aspects of Bitcoin but am seeing this 'Hard Fork' being discussed,  and traders of Bitcoin sweating blood over it........so, aside from the fact this 'Hard Fork' is bearish as fuck, what actually is it?

It means everyone will double their bitcoins. One copy of their stash for one fork and another copy for the other fork. So, more bitcoins for everyone Cheesy bullish as fuck

★★★ CryptoGraffiti.info ★★★ Hidden Messages Found from the Block Chain (Thread)
Denker
Legendary

Activity: 1442
Merit: 1014

View Profile
December 28, 2015, 03:51:03 PM

I wouldn't care about that "drama".
The only ones who are dramtizing are the XT and BIP 101 supporters.
Now they are freaking out because bitcoin.org removed Coinbase as wallet.
Nothing will happen.The roadmap for 2016 is out and this is the way Bitcoin will go.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 28, 2015, 04:08:23 PM

I don't even think thermos can explain it, but you're missing the point.
Which is the drama is supposed to be out of just grasp for the rational mind to comprehend.

That is what makes it so entertaining. Smiley

/r/Buttcoin makes a good job cataloging the interesting bits as they happen on reddit, as for the part that is going on in this forum and on irc I don't think anybody has the time for that.
Alley
Legendary

Activity: 910

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 12:08:41 AM

People still think XT has a chance of hardforking the chain?  BIP101 has 2 blocks out of the last 1000...
Cconvert2G36

Activity: 392
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 12:42:12 AM

Miners are perfectly ready to do some modest increase and the hard fork would likely go off without a hitch.

Buuuuut.... Core has plans for layer 2 solutions to scale Bitcoin, wants to keep hard forks scary, and wants to introduce a complicated accounting trick (moving signatures out of blocks) to get to about 1.75MB equivalent maybe by 2017.

Many think this is too little too late and will cripple the network right when we have a chance of seeing some decent adoption, so they are looking at routing around Blockstream Core's inertia... not a simple task. Largely, it will be a miner decision. If they accept soft fork segwit-only as a solution, then segwit-only it shall be... and we'll do this whole argument again in 12-24 months.
r0ach
Legendary

Activity: 1260

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 12:52:41 PM

There is no hard fork drama because the vast majority of hash rate will fork to either 4mb or 2-4-8 without any kind of mexican standoff or war going on.

......ATLANT......
..Real Estate Blockchain Platform..
                    ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
                    ████████████░
                  ▄██████████████░
                 ▒███████▄████████░
                ▒█████████░████████░
                ▀███████▀█████████
                  ██████████████
           ███████▐██▀████▐██▄████████░
          ▄████▄█████████▒████▌█████████░
         ███████▄█████████▀██████████████░
        █████████▌█████████▐█████▄████████░
        ▀█████████████████▐███████████████
          █████▀████████ ░███████████████
    ██████▐██████████▄████████████████████████░
  ▄████▄████████▐███████████████░▄▄▄▄░████████░
 ▄██████▄█████████▐█████▄█████████▀████▄█████████░
███████████████████▐█████▄█████████▐██████████████░
▀████████▀█████████▒██████████████▐█████▀█████████
  ████████████████ █████▀█████████████████████████
   ▀██▀██████████ ▐█████████████  ▀██▀██████████
    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀█████████    ▀▀██████████

..INVEST  ●  RENT  ●  TRADE..
 ✓Assurance     ✓Price Discovery     ✓Liquidity     ✓Low Fees

███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

◣Whitepaper ◣ANN ThreadTelegram
◣ Facebook     ◣ Reddit          ◣ Slack

███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███
███

███
███
███
███
███
███

Hero/Legendary members
NorrisK
Legendary

Activity: 1946
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 01:21:52 PM

It means everyone will double their bitcoins. One copy of their stash for one fork and another copy for the other fork. So, more bitcoins for everyone Cheesy bullish as fuck

Except for the fact that every exchange will switch over to one of the forks, making it impossible to sell your double bitcoins. And even if they were to be traded, one coin would drop in value so fast hardly anybody could profit from it.

Also, the order books would probably be cleared before any such event, so the chance of profiting over this is near nil.
suda123

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 29, 2015, 01:43:45 PM

some bs that's going to fail so they can tank the price
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: