Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 11:24:24 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: BTC could be a good short right now...  (Read 2181 times)
MatTheCat

Activity: 840
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 05:01:02 AM

Would have been a good short if you have tons of coins and the balls the short those coins. Was about a 10 dollar drop and then a rebound of about 7-8 dollars of the drop since this post. I've been burned like no other trying to short so I'm gonna go ahead and say that I disagree, right now is a terrible time to short. Unless you are absolutely certain that prices are going sub 400, shorting is not worth the risk. Be a man, hold, and if the ship goes down in flames then so be it. I'd rather hold till the bitter end then to get burned shorting and miss the train. Just my 2c.

This is how markets go. 80% of the time, markets range, 20% of the time, they trend. That $10 drop was not the 'move down', but it was a lower low, and a lower high from the local top. That is the market turning and then retracing, and this is indeed the big fkn issue with shorting. When the market corrects to the downside, it tends to do so very abruptly, and best of luck of timing your trade perfectly for that. Shorting is much harder than going long, no doubt about it.

Right now would be a good short opportunity, as the chances of the market getting higher at this point in time are slim, and even if it does, there is the $436 top to place your Stop Loss behind. But even still, shorting now could mean a long wait, whilst 'they' swish coins around on the exchanges within a $10-$15 range, sucking in the n00bs on both sides of the trade, taking out their Stop Loss Orders etc... Many shorters will lose patience and exit their trades on scratch, or with a small loss/win, others with less fortunate market timing will have their trades stopped out.....but eventually, the big dumper trucks full of BTC will pull up outside the exchanges, just like they did last time, and the time before that, etc etc.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
rokkyroad
Legendary

Activity: 1090

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 06:53:29 AM

This is how markets go. 80% of the time, markets range, 20% of the time, they trend. That $10 drop was not the 'move down', but it was a lower low, and a lower high from the local top. That is the market turning and then retracing, and this is indeed the big fkn issue with shorting. When the market corrects to the downside, it tends to do so very abruptly, and best of luck of timing your trade perfectly for that. Shorting is much harder than going long, no doubt about it.

Right now would be a good short opportunity, as the chances of the market getting higher at this point in time are slim, and even if it does, there is the $436 top to place your Stop Loss behind. But even still, shorting now could mean a long wait, whilst 'they' swish coins around on the exchanges within a $10-$15 range, sucking in the n00bs on both sides of the trade, taking out their Stop Loss Orders etc... Many shorters will lose patience and exit their trades on scratch, or with a small loss/win, others with less fortunate market timing will have their trades stopped out.....but eventually, the big dumper trucks full of BTC will pull up outside the exchanges, just like they did last time, and the time before that, etc etc.

[/quote]

You make a lot of sense.

Have buyers been lulled into a false sense of security considering the strong bitcoin we've had for the last couple months?  

" If you have to spam and shout to justify your existence then you are a shit coin."  TaunSew
afbitcoins
Legendary

Activity: 2100
Merit: 1061

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2016, 01:25:12 PM

IMO going long is easy in a bull market and shorting is easy in a bear market. Bitcoin is in a bull
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 03:22:34 PM

IMO going long is easy in a bull market and shorting is easy in a bear market. Bitcoin is in a bull

i also think so, the trend is bullish now, but apparently there are still some bears here and there that want to shift the trend again

or they simply try to earn coins at every new range, in the run up...
MatTheCat

Activity: 840

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 03:24:58 PM

i also think so, the trend is bullish now, but apparently there are still some bears here and there that want to shift the trend again

Christ sakes..

It aint about 'choosing sides'. It is about trying to position yourself on the right side....

I think Bitcoin is good for a $5 rise here....Lots of shorters will have lots of Stop Orders just slightly North from here, and 'they' are going to trigger them, and empty the Market Orders into thier own front running short positions.

Kraken Account, Robbed/Emptied. Kraken say "Fuck you, its your loss": https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1559553.msg15656643#msg15656643

Bitfinex victims. DO NOT TOUCH THE BFX TOKEN! Start moving it around, or trading it, and you will be construed as having accepted it as an alternative means of payment to your USD, BTC, etc.
MF Doom

Activity: 560
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 04:00:19 PM

seems like a shot would work right now, but later in the year price should head back up after the halving
afbitcoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2016, 04:59:23 PM
Last edit: January 04, 2016, 05:09:37 PM by afbitcoins

Christ sakes..

It aint about 'choosing sides'. It is about trying to position yourself on the right side....

I think Bitcoin is good for a $5 rise here....Lots of shorters will have lots of Stop Orders just slightly North from here, and 'they' are going to trigger them, and empty the Market Orders into thier own front running short positions.

I didnt say you have to choose sides I said it works best once you identify the trend. Think of the trend as a river. In a bear market when you short the current is helping you. In a bull market when you go long the current is helping you. Figure out which way the river is flowing and let it help you. (and stop being abusive every time someone has a different opinion to you)
afbitcoins
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 04, 2016, 05:23:58 PM

And if you are desperate to short, now is probably as good a time as any but I wouldnt think youll get fantastic return on it if it even works. I dont see it getting much below $400
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 10:39:54 AM

https://bitcoinwisdom.com/markets/okcoin/btccny

Let's use BTC/CNY since we all know the current driver/s are trading that...

Just speculating based on its current run.  BTC/CNY is running of out of steam and could go back down anytime now.

It may go a bit lower at the moment, but not too much as I think next week we will make a jump to possibly $450. Just for the interest, what is your target low right now?

BTC/CNY 2600.  If it breaks clean past that, who knows.

Some quotes from you and me at Sunday.

Looks like I was right here. Bitstamp reached $451.02 as high of the day this week.
Pasutinmeur

Activity: 302
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 27, 2016, 07:43:26 AM

And if you are desperate to short, now is probably as good a time as any but I wouldnt think youll get fantastic return on it if it even works. I dont see it getting much below $400

There is good support around $380. The price will not go below that level for long time unless there is very big bad news.

OIKOS.CASH      Decentralized finance on Tron   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Collateral-backed stable-coins
         github  telegram    twitter    discord           synthetic asset trading and trustless token exchange on TRON
quadriple7

Activity: 252
Merit: 250

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 04:24:25 PM

Just speculating based on its current run.  BTC/CNY is running of out of steam and could go back down anytime now.

yes it is really really nice moment to go short with bitcoins, price changed 4 times in last 24 hours and it changes by 10-15$ each time, so it is good moment to sell/buy them all day, also these price changes happens like 5 times in month, so if someone want's to win money because of that then it's good moment to start

jt byte

Activity: 994

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 08:37:12 PM

You can do both, you can invest for a short term with the bitcoin but also on a long term that is also a nice thing about the bitcoin.
The fact is that short can be good but it also depends on how long someone think short is, if you just wait for the halving and than cash out its a short term.
If I go invest for a long term what I already did, I think about 7-10 years from now.
Olaf

Activity: 168

View Profile
March 15, 2016, 09:04:53 PM

seems like a shot would work right now, but later in the year price should head back up after the halving

If this is right.. then we should see loads of buy orders on the exchange after 2 months from now?

As for the CNY comment, they just might wait around for the actual halving when it takes place or the week before.

Nameless Coin

Activity: 308

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 12:58:11 PM

yes it is really really nice moment to go short with bitcoins, price changed 4 times in last 24 hours and it changes by 10-15$ each time, so it is good moment to sell/buy them all day, also these price changes happens like 5 times in month, so if someone want's to win money because of that then it's good moment to start

You never know what the value will be and that is the problem. I hope that more people will use Bitcoin in the future.
And the most important thing is that it will be also more worth. But you never know what will happen.
BTCLovingDude
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1010

BTC to the moon is inevitable...

View Profile WWW
March 17, 2016, 01:11:01 PM

You never know what the value will be and that is the problem. I hope that more people will use Bitcoin in the future.
And the most important thing is that it will be also more worth. But you never know what will happen.

that is the whole point of speculation!
you speculate what the price of bitcoin is going to be based on technical analysis and many other things. then you make a move according to your speculation.

--looking for signature--
CoinsRoyal

Activity: 350

View Profile
March 17, 2016, 10:32:06 PM

It could be good on to go short because the halving is coming this year, so it could be good but do not expect too much from the bitcoin itself.
The halving can let the price rise to make profit on a short period but it also can be bad for the bitcoin no one knows it right now.
alisafidel58

Activity: 364
Merit: 127

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 09:00:59 AM

Its really a good thing that there is a shorting of bitcoin as it will make the price higher and add the halving im pretty sure that bitcoin price double its amount.
CryptoBjorn

Activity: 714

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 09:47:58 AM

You never know what the value will be. But you can see now that the value is rising very slowly and that is very good.
We all hope of course that the value will be more worth and that we can sell it later with some huge profit.
1Referee
Legendary

Activity: 2170
Merit: 1427

View Profile
March 18, 2016, 09:52:17 AM

Its really a good thing that there is a shorting of bitcoin as it will make the price higher and add the halving im pretty sure that bitcoin price double its amount.

Just quoted this for laughing purposes.
Pasutinmeur

Activity: 302

View Profile
March 26, 2016, 06:36:56 AM

If there is a short squeeze, the price will go higher.

OIKOS.CASH      Decentralized finance on Tron   ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬   Collateral-backed stable-coins
         github  telegram    twitter    discord           synthetic asset trading and trustless token exchange on TRON
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: