Bitcoin Forum
November 21, 2017, 01:38:46 AM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.15.1  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Solar panes as mining rigs?  (Read 5157 times)
Erkallys
Legendary

Activity: 1036

Sprectre - 5M$ sold just in pre-sale !

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 09:44:51 PM

If you live in a country where electricity is cheap you need this, and if you're in a country where electricity is expensive you'll need to pay back your solar panels with your mining gains, so it doesn't sound a good idea to me, except of course if the Bitcoin price increase by at least a 2 factor really quickly and the remain stable or if you already own solar panels.

.SPECTRE.                ▄▄███▄▄
            ▄▄███▀▀▀▀▀███▄▄
▄▄      ▄▄███▀▀ ▄▄███▄▄ ▀▀███▄▄      ▄▄
████▄▄  ▀▀▀ ▄▄███████████▄▄ ▀▀▀  ▄▄████
  ▀▀████▄    ▀▀█████████▀▀    ▄████▀▀
 ██▄▄ ▀██ █▄▄    ▀▀▀▀▀    ▄▄█ ██▀ ▄▄██
 ▀▀███ ██ █████▄       ▄█████ ██ ███▀▀
      ██ ███████▄   ▄███████ ██
       ██ ████████   ████████ ██
       ██▄▄ ▀▀████   ████▀▀ ▄▄██
        ▀▀███▄▄ ▀▀   ▀▀ ▄▄███▀▀
            ▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄███▀▀
                ▀▀███▀▀
             │
     │      ███
     │      ███
    │     ███
███  │     ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███ ███ ███
███ ███     │
███ ███     │
    │

▬▬     WHITEPAPER    ▬▬
FACEBOOK     TELEGRAM
TWITTER     SLACK     MEDIUM
PRE-SALE.
PUBLIC SALE.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
vilain

Activity: 126

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 10:31:59 PM

As some fellow poster mention, there are some problems with this:

Mining equipment requires investment on advance, it takes some time to get back (by mining) the amount you invested in miners.

Solar equipment also requires investment on advance, it takes time for the equipment to offset the benefit of paying for electricity.

So it is a lot of investment beforehand, and both miners and solar panels can become obsolete and require maintenance.

It's a little risky.

I was going to post something similar.

All the calculations must take into consideration the cost of capital put into the enterprise. Cost of capital is basically the rate of return you could get by investing this money on something else. In other words, how much would you profit just by holding btc, for example? The profit of such entreprise should offset this profitability by a big ammount, considering bigger risks, maitenance fees, reinvestment needs, etc etc.

Almost forgot, there is also a liquidity issue. Holding btc you are holding money. Holding a solar energy rig you don't have access to that "money resource" that easy.

Betwrong
Legendary

Activity: 924

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 10:05:45 AM

We´ve covered our roof with solar panels some years ago.
It was supported by the government in Germany.
If we sell that power to the public, we get 50 cents / kWh.
Then we buy this energy back for 25 cents / kWh. Tongue

So, why consume this heavyly supported power yourself?

haha, very smart  Smiley but actually I think that government has its ways to prevent such abuse, when they know you do it they will impose a fine which might be much bigger than you made on those manipulations.

So, be careful, do not play games with the government.

I am careful. It´s absolutely legal. Germany wants to boost his renewable energy sources to get rid of nuclear energy. Thats why they give away something called "Einspeisevergütung" to people which are having solar power on their roofs. Thats why many farmers built things like this:

Those "Solar-Huts" where spreading like wildfires.

we have solar power for some years now. The support from the government was lowered since then (but only for new power plants so we still get the money we got back then).

I understand that this is absolutely legal to use solar panels to get electricity and to obtain the support from the government for doing this. But is it legal to sell the energy obtained in this way to the third parties? I think it is not.

Only curious about this: Are you from Germany?

It is legal, you sell your power for 50 cents / kWh to the grid and consume grid power for the price of 25 cents / kWh. You don´t have to cover your power demand by your own solar power (If that´s what you´re wondering about). Selling the power to the grid is especially useful, when your solar panes produce enough energy for 7 houses (at peak times).

No, I'm not from Germany. Maybe that's why I don't understand what is legal there and what is not.

Actually I'm glad you have nothing to worry about concerning the legality of your actions in Germany. I wish you good luck with your enterprise from the bottom of my heart!

hibbo

Activity: 15

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 10:20:01 PM

haha, very smart  Smiley but actually I think that government has its ways to prevent such abuse, when they know you do it they will impose a fine which might be much bigger than you made on those manipulations.

I am careful. It´s absolutely legal. Germany wants to boost his renewable energy sources to get rid of nuclear energy. Thats why they give away something called "Einspeisevergütung" to people which are having solar power on their roofs. Thats why many farmers built things like this:
http://www.pv-magazine.de/typo3temp/pics/b92035ae4a.jpg

we have solar power for some years now. The support from the government was lowered since then (but only for new power plants so we still get the money we got back then).

I understand that this is absolutely legal to use solar panels to get electricity and to obtain the support from the government for doing this. But is it legal to sell the energy obtained in this way to the third parties? I think it is not.

It is legal, you sell your power for 50 cents / kWh to the grid and consume grid power for the price of 25 cents / kWh. You don´t have to cover your power demand by your own solar power (If that´s what you´re wondering about). Selling the power to the grid is especially useful, when your solar panes produce enough energy for 7 houses (at peak times).

No, I'm not from Germany. Maybe that's why I don't understand what is legal there and what is not.

Actually I'm glad you have nothing to worry about concerning the legality of your actions in Germany. I wish you good luck with your enterprise from the bottom of my heart!

German legislation can be quite strange. (Especialy when it comes to money)

Thank You
KeezAZA

Activity: 117

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 07:31:23 PM

Between pure sine and modified sine invertors. Do they have any effect on these premium PSUs?
I can pick up a modified sine invertor for a good price, but would not want to mess up my PSU.
icem3lter

Activity: 286

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 11:12:02 PM

Even if we do have the technology to mine exclusively with solar panels, we will never be decentralized...since some parts of the world are just more sunnier than others.

bronan

Activity: 758

Lazy Lurker Reads Alot

View Profile WWW
January 12, 2016, 01:20:47 PM

Its an old topic but it seriously is not worth investing in solar panels for those few hours of sun you have, especially not for mining
You need to have 24/7 power so yes it lowers the bill you pay to the electra company a bit but if you have more than 2 miners running most of us would not have enough solar panels to feed them anyway.
The only way to have some serious profit is to have about 35 million, put up a 15 million wind turbine and buy a large old building put in the as much as possible miners and psu's .. that is the only way.
I have 20 x 260 wp solar and believe me it hardly delivers enough to pay 1/5 my electra bill, and that for a massive 12500 euro, yes they claim these things will last 20 years i know but they degrade alot .. i am pretty sure when they are 10 years old the company which sold or made them disappeared. So that warranty is often a joke. and what most do not tell is that the convertor needs to be replaced in about 10 years which will be at that time about 3500 euro to replace it
Because most of you forget your money looses 3 to 5% yearly in value and that the minimum, if you live in the 3th world countries that number can be up to 50% devaluation.
Betwrong
Legendary

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 09:21:19 AM

Thanks to European feed-in tariffs, time to profit of solar panels on my roof is less than 10 years.

I happen to divert much of the generated electricity to bitcoin rigs (second hand antminer S1 older ASIC). 
The feed-in tariff is for electricity generated on my roof, so I may as well use most of it.
Since I was doing the solar thing anyway, that is "free" electricity for a couple of hours per day; especially in summer.  Nevertheless, to run a couple of S1 rigs 24/7 would use about 3/4 uk national grid electricity and 1/4 local solar electricity.  That is why I'd not bought an S5 - not enough hours per day of free electricity to be worth it.  What bitcoin I do get is essentially a by-product of an already worthwhile home solar setup.
[/size][/size][/size][/size]

10 years is a pretty long period of time. Aren't at least some of the solar panels starting fail to function during this period? If the answer is yes, than you should take into account the price of the new ones or the price of repairing of the failed panels. And then the time to profit of solar panels might appear to be longer than 10 years.

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1386

View Profile
January 16, 2016, 02:22:25 AM

Thanks to European feed-in tariffs, time to profit of solar panels on my roof is less than 10 years.

I happen to divert much of the generated electricity to bitcoin rigs (second hand antminer S1 older ASIC). 
The feed-in tariff is for electricity generated on my roof, so I may as well use most of it.
Since I was doing the solar thing anyway, that is "free" electricity for a couple of hours per day; especially in summer.  Nevertheless, to run a couple of S1 rigs 24/7 would use about 3/4 uk national grid electricity and 1/4 local solar electricity.  That is why I'd not bought an S5 - not enough hours per day of free electricity to be worth it.  What bitcoin I do get is essentially a by-product of an already worthwhile home solar setup.
[/size][/size][/size][/size]

10 years is a pretty long period of time. Aren't at least some of the solar panels starting fail to function during this period? If the answer is yes, than you should take into account the price of the new ones or the price of repairing of the failed panels. And then the time to profit of solar panels might appear to be longer than 10 years.

I would agree even if you ROI on solar panel in ten years for most part that is very long duration compared to miner.  Most miners run for 1-2 years (I'm generalizing).  But 10 years is a completely different investment.  Most hold miners for less then a year before selling to "cheap" electricity or even "free" electricity.

I think the person who has cheap electricity is still coming out on top as they did not have to spend 10 years to get a chance of ROI on solar.  Also it takes a LOT of solar panels and batteries to equal a decent sized mining operation.  So it is not cheap.
RozoTheMiner

Activity: 161

Hello Bitcoin World!!

View Profile WWW
January 22, 2016, 03:44:57 PM

You may want to have a look at this this very nice complete set.
SolarMill

The world’s First Integrated Wind and Solar Hybrid Technology
http://windandsolarhybrid.com

I am heating a 1600 sq ft house W/ 4 Antminr s7 integrated into my heating and air system. https://www.youtube.com/c/TheBitcoinMiner

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 08:17:52 AM

SolarMill

Why post this in multiple threads?  I don't think it really needs to go in all of them.  Yes it's a very cool design, and it is a neat idea combining heat and wind but it still stands:

Really cool but $3,125.00 + installation + I think batteries for 1.2 KW.   That is hard to justify vs low priced electricity.  It truly is a LONG term investment when miners are much shorter term investment.

I still think cheap electricity will win over solar for foreseeable future.   

Its just does not make sense to me if anyone buys this for bitcoin mining.
Betwrong
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 10:17:32 AM

SolarMill

IMG

Why post this in multiple threads?  I don't think it really needs to go in all of them.  Yes it's a very cool design, and it is a neat idea combining heat and wind but it still stands:

Really cool but $3,125.00 + installation + I think batteries for 1.2 KW.   That is hard to justify vs low priced electricity.  It truly is a LONG term investment when miners are much shorter term investment.

I agree. The idea of combining heat and wind to get electricity is cool and the whole setup looks great but the price, $3,125.00, makes it impossible to use in mining. Only if a government gives grants covering almost all the price for using the setup (which is possible I think) this might be a good choice.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 26, 2016, 10:35:38 PM

SolarMill

IMG

Why post this in multiple threads?  I don't think it really needs to go in all of them.  Yes it's a very cool design, and it is a neat idea combining heat and wind but it still stands:

Really cool but $3,125.00 + installation + I think batteries for 1.2 KW.   That is hard to justify vs low priced electricity.  It truly is a LONG term investment when miners are much shorter term investment.

I agree. The idea of combining heat and wind to get electricity is cool and the whole setup looks great but the price, $3,125.00, makes it impossible to use in mining. Only if a government gives grants covering almost all the price for using the setup (which is possible I think) this might be a good choice.

I don't think a goverment grant would do it on this one even.  For their neat idea of mixing wind/sun $3125 for 1.2 KW.   And as I mentioned I think that does not include setup material, setup, or batteries.... so crazy high.    

If you ran just 10 KW.   Your looking at $27,000 or so just on these devices.  It cannot be justified compared to low priced electricity.
avw1982

Activity: 630

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 07:21:55 AM

SolarMill

IMG

If you go for solar miners we should start as large scale only
because if you install in small scale means we can't get that much energy and we can't get big profit as well.  So better go for solar panels when you start big scale.
enhu
Legendary

Activity: 1022

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 08:05:42 AM

maybe it will be profitable to mine altcoins than bitcoin.

But let's say for instance there is no more bitcoin to mine. do we have chance to make profit to set up solar panels and mine rigs for the transaction fees?
as far as i kno if there is no more coins to mine, miners will have to earn thru the transaction fees.

▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▄▄▄
              ▄▄█∞══$&P▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▄▄▄
           ▄██⌐^"'               "═▄═,▀▀▄
       ▄▀▄█▀                        `ⁿ▀▄\▀▄
     ▄▄²█▀                              ▀▀▄▀
    █▀▄█                                   ██▄
   █▄▀╛       ▄███▄  ███████▀ ██  ▐█▌       ▄█▄
  ▐▌,▀       ██▌ ▐██    ██    ██  ██         █▌█
  █╓-        ██▌ ▐█▀    ██    ██ ▐█▌         ▐▐ █
 ▐█▌         ██▌        ██    ██ ██           ▌⌐▌▌
 U█           ███       ██    ████▌           ▐▌▌▐
╟▐▐            ▀██      ██    ████▌            █▌█
█▐▐▌             ██▄    ██    ██▀██            ██
▐▐ ▀             ▐██    ██    ██ ██▌          ,█▌
 ▀▄▌▌        ▄█  ▐██    ██    ██ ▐██         ,▀█
  ▀▓ ⌐       ██▄ ▐██    ██    ██  ██▌       ╓`▀▌
   ╙█▀        ▀███▀     ██    ██   ██      ƒ▄▀█
     ██▄                                  █▀ █
      ▀▀█▄                              ▄█ ▄▀
       ╙▄▀▄▀π,                       ,▄█▀▀▀
         '═▌▄"▄"═             ,.∞═$██▀
             ▀▀▀▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▄▄▀▀
                    ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
STACK

●● TelegramTwitter ●●
Facebook ●●● Discord

swogerino

Activity: 784

View Profile
January 31, 2016, 05:37:28 PM

-img-http://www.pv-magazine.de/typo3temp/pics/b92035ae4a.jpg-/img-

So essentially you just get paid to use power. Haha, that's interesting. Can you provide more details on how this thing works?

▄▄███████████████████▄▄
                      ██████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████
                  ██████                          ██████
               █████                                  █████
             █████                                      █████
           ████                                            ████
         ████                                                ████
       ████                                                    ████
      ████                                                      ████
     ████                                                        ████
    ████                                                          ████
   ████            ███████████████     ███████████████             ████
  ████             ▀ █████████████▌   ▄▀ █████████████▌             ████
 ▐███             ▄▄ ▐█████████████  ███ ▐█████████████              ███▌
 ████            ▐██▌ █████████████▌ ███▌ █████████████▌             ████
 ███             ████ ▐█████████████ ▐███ ▐█████████████              ███
▐███            ▐████▌ █████████████▌ ███▌ █████████████▌             ███▌
▐███            ██████ ▐█████████████ ▐███ ▐█████████████             ███▌
▐███           ▐██████▌ █████████████▌ ███▌ █████████████▌            ███▌
▐███           ████████ ▐█████████████ ▐███ ▐█████████████            ███▌
▐███          ▐████████▌ █████████████▌ ███▌ █████████████▌           ███▌
▐███          ██████████ ▐█████████████ ▐███ ▐█████████████           ███▌
▐███         ▐██████████▌ █████████████▌ ███▌ █████████████▌          ███▌
▐███         ████████████ ▐█████████████ ▐███ ▐█████████████          ███▌
 ███        ▐████████████  █████████████▌ ███  █████████████▌         ███
 ████       █████████████  ▐█████████████ ▐██▌ ▐█████████████        ████
 ▐███      ▐█████████████   █████████████▌ ██   █████████████▌       ███▌
  ████     █████████████▌   ▐█████████████      ▐█████████████      ████
   ████    █████████████     █████████████▌      █████████████▌    ████
    ████                                                          ████
     ████                                                        ████
      ████                                                      ████
       ████                                                   █████
         ████                                                ████
           ████                                            ████
             █████                                      █████
               █████                                  █████
                  ██████                          ██████
                      ██████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████
                          ▀▀███████████████████▀▀

Monaize
|

|

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 01:09:55 AM

-img-http://www.pv-magazine.de/typo3temp/pics/b92035ae4a.jpg-/img-

So essentially you just get paid to use power. Haha, that's interesting. Can you provide more details on how this thing works?

I would like to hear more aswell.  I'm not sure anywhere where you can sell electricity for more then usage costs.  Everyone I have read you get paid less then usage costs for sending it to the grid.

Making 50 cents when sending to grid,  and only paying 25 cents sounds far to good to be true.   Only way I can see is if there is peek hours you upload it during.  But still then I dont see this big of difference.
romero121
Legendary

Activity: 938

Betcoin.ag - Trusted Platform for Gambling

View Profile
February 01, 2016, 04:49:45 AM

SolarMill

IMG

If you go for solar miners we should start as large scale only
because if you install in small scale means we can't get that much energy and we can't get big profit as well.  So better go for solar panels when you start big scale.

Even these days with small scale implementation its possible to produce more power.
It purely depend on the location. Like you said one hoping for a high profit can get
by small scale solar panel implementation.

avw1982

Activity: 630

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 05:01:45 AM

maybe it will be profitable to mine altcoins than bitcoin.

But let's say for instance there is no more bitcoin to mine. do we have chance to make profit to set up solar panels and mine rigs for the transaction fees?
as far as i kno if there is no more coins to mine, miners will have to earn thru the transaction fees.

Dude transaction fees are for miner who is mining our transactions in bitcoin. Whom spend too much electricity on it.
So blockchain pays them little fund which is your transaction fees money.
So please know about that dude. Solar panels are specially for reduce the electricity charges. And works with solar energy that's it.
BCNBULL

Activity: 47

View Profile
February 03, 2016, 11:24:11 PM

i think it would be posible to do this at a great scale, and somewhere where there´s a lot of hours and of sun and cheap electricity, but we are in the same.

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 »  All
  Print  

Jump to:  

Sponsored by , a Bitcoin-accepting VPN.