Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 07:49:09 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: A question about the release of Darkcoin/Dashcoin  (Read 3976 times)
illodin

Activity: 966
Merit: 1003

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 03:57:14 PM

And on the subject of evan's intentions let it be known it was found that he was recruiting for the project when it began on the premise of "making a for-profit cryptocurrency" specifically. he planned on dash making him rich, and it did.

Yeah it would've been a whole lot better if the plan was to lose money and make him poor.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The Bitcoin software, network, and concept is called "Bitcoin" with a capitalized "B". Bitcoin currency units are called "bitcoins" with a lowercase "b" -- this is often abbreviated BTC.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
adhitthana (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:11:48 PM

Is this correct, or have I been misled?

If it is correct , did Evan Duffield ever explain why, the release time was moved?

Yes, this is correct.

And no, he never explained the early launch.

I'm just trying to think through what might happen if Dash ever tried to become well known or widely used. I imagine if it ever started to become widely used Evan would have to explain what went on
generalizethis
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1036

Facts are more efficient than fud

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 04:24:12 PM

If it is correct , did Evan Duffield ever explain why, the release time was moved?

Yes, this is correct.

I'm just trying to think through what might happen if Dash ever tried to become well known or widely used. I imagine if it ever started to become widely used Evan would have to explain what went on

I doubt it will ever get that far, but if it did, Wall Street media would have a field day grilling him on the instamine and the early launch.

Minotaur26
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:33:00 PM

Yes, this is correct.

If you are trying to think this through, maybe it would help to actually read his account of events here:

https://dashdot.io/alpha/?page_id=118
adhitthana (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1190

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:41:12 PM

Yes, this is correct.

If you are trying to think this through, maybe it would help to actually read his account of events here:

Unfortunately that article doesn't deal with my questions.
That article just seems to be rather unsophisticated and amateurish promotional piece.
Minotaur26
Legendary

Activity: 1092

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:43:56 PM

Yes, this is correct.

That article just seems to be rather unsophisticated and amateurish promotional piece.

If that does not please you, maybe the more sophisticated thing to do is wait a few years and see what happens.
tokeweed
Legendary

Activity: 3934
Merit: 1405

Life, Love and Laughter...

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 04:48:06 PM

Lol.  Now that's a way to end an argument...

R

▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▄▄
████████████████
▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█████
████████▌███▐████
▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄█████
████████████████
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██████▀▀
LLBIT|
4,000+ GAMES
███████████████████
██████████▀▄▀▀▀████
████████▀▄▀██░░░███
██████▀▄███▄▀█▄▄▄██
███▀▀▀▀▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀███
██░░░░░░░░█░░░░░░██
██▄░░░░░░░█░░░░░▄██
███▄░░░░▄█▄▄▄▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
▀████████
░░▀██████
░░░░▀████
░░░░░░███
▄░░░░░███
▀█▄▄▄████
░░▀▀█████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█████████
░░░▀▀████
██▄▄▀░███
█░░█▄░░██
░████▀▀██
█░░█▀░░██
██▀▀▄░███
░░░▄▄████
▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
|
██░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░██
▀█▄░▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄░▄█▀
▄▄███░░░░░░░░░░░░░░███▄▄
▀░▀▄▀▄░░░░░▄▄░░░░░▄▀▄▀░▀
▄▄▄▄▄▀▀▄▄▀▀▄▄▄▄▄
█░▄▄▄██████▄▄▄░█
█░▀▀████████▀▀░█
█░█▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄██░█
█░█▀████████░█
█░█░██████░█
▀▄▀▄███▀▄▀
▄▀▄
▀▄▄▄▄▀▄▀▄
██▀░░░░░░░░▀██
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
░▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███▀▄▀█████████████████▀▄▀
█████▀▄░▄▄▄▄▄███░▄▄▄▄▄▄▀
███████▀▄▀██████░█▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄
█████████▀▄▄░███▄▄▄▄▄▄░▄▀
███████████░███████▀▄▀
███████████░██▀▄▄▄▄▀
███████████░▀▄▀
████████████▄▀
███████████
▄▄███████▄▄
▄████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████▄
▄███▀▄▄███████▄▄▀███▄
▄██▀▄█▀▀▀█████▀▀▀█▄▀██▄
▄██▄██████▀████░███▄██▄
███░████████▀██░████░███
███░████░█▄████▀░████░███
███░████░███▄████████░███
▀██▄▀███░█████▄█████▀▄██▀
▀██▄▀█▄▄▄██████▄██▀▄██▀
▀███▄▀▀███████▀▀▄███▀
▀████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄████▀
▀▀███████▀▀
OFFICIAL PARTNERSHIP
FAZE CLAN
SSC NAPOLI
|
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 05:08:20 PM

Yes, this is correct.

If that does not please you, maybe the more sophisticated thing to do is wait a few years and see what happens.

I agree.

If you are planning on making an investment and those who represent the investment can't answer your questions directly and in a meaningful way, you should wait until the murk has cleared and you can ascertain whether the investment is on the up and up. That's what a sophisticated investor would do.

Now a noob on the other hand will give himself over to fear of missing out and invest too much, too quickly, and hope others will bail him out once the buyer's remorse sets in.

Days

Activity: 74
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 05:18:44 PM

May I add that you should ask questions you're self like I did when I invested into alt coins and to me Dash answers were very clear and the work been done in it is just crazy, Dash is getting big and noticed by all these BTC + crypto websites unlike any other coins because Dash team really works hard and the development is open for everyone to see.

Also notice people who attack it don't mention you the innovation DASH has brought to us and will never do so don't believe forum people as I did this mistake trading BTC in 2014 -,-.
entertheabyss

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

★Bitvest.io★ Play Plinko or Invest

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 06:02:32 PM
Last edit: December 30, 2015, 06:20:50 PM by entertheabyss

Yes, this is correct.

I doubt it will ever get that far, but if it did, Wall Street media would have a field day grilling him on the instamine and the early launch.

Wallstreet is on board with any and all shady premine shit, just look at ripple. Its a nice thought though, wallstreet as a bastion of honest companies and hard working financial institutions with the interest of the common man at heart.

Intresting note, before Even started workong xcoin aka darkcoin aka dash, he was a stock broker.

Soon after that the 2008 crisis started and I had money in the markets. I became really interested in economics and ended up getting my series 65 license and starting a financial firm to sell my trading signals and manage money.
https://medium.com/@simon/the-bright-side-of-darkcoin-a923facddc3c
http://www.investopedia.com/professionals/series65/

x/dark/dash was never about privacy or instant transactions or distributed consensus, it was and continues to be about the bottom line, expect the dash team to do whatever is trendy and hip in the altcoin scene as they suck their way to the top of the foodchain

.BIG WINNER!.
[15.00000000 BTC]

▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
██████████▀▀██████████
█████████░░░░█████████
██████████▄▄██████████
███████▀▀████▀▀███████
██████░░░░██░░░░██████
███████▄▄████▄▄███████
████▀▀████▀▀████▀▀████
███░░░░██░░░░██░░░░███
████▄▄████▄▄████▄▄████
██████████████████████

▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
██████████████████████
█████▀▀█▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░░████
█████░░░░░░░░░░░░▄████
█████░░▄███▄░░░░██████
█████▄▄███▀░░░░▄██████
█████████░░░░░░███████
████████░░░░░░░███████
███████░░░░░░░░███████
███████▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄███████

██████████████████████
▀████████████████████▀
▄████████████████████▄
███████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
███████████▀▀▄▄█░░░░░█
█████████▀░░█████░░░░█
███████▀░░░░░████▀░░░▀
██████░░░░░░░░▀▄▄█████
█████░▄░░░░░▄██████▀▀█
████░████▄░███████░░░░
███░█████░█████████░░█
███░░░▀█░██████████░░█
███░░░░░░████▀▀██▀░░░░
███░░░░░░███░░░░░░░░░░

██░▄▄▄▄░████▄▄██▄░░░░
████████████▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██
█████████████░█▀▀▀█░███
██████████▀▀░█▀░░░▀█░▀▀
███████▀░▄▄█░█░░░░░█░█▄
████▀░▄▄████░▀█░░░█▀░██
███░▄████▀▀░▄░▀█░█▀░▄░▀
█▀░███▀▀▀░░███░▀█▀░███░
▀░███▀░░░░░████▄░▄████░
░███▀░░░░░░░█████████░░
░███░░░░░░░░░███████░░░
███▀░██░░░░░░▀░▄▄▄░▀░░░
███░██████▄▄░▄█████▄░▄▄

██░████████░███████░█
▄████████████████████▄
████████▀▀░░░▀▀███████
███▀▀░░░░░▄▄▄░░░░▀▀▀██
██░▀▀▄▄░░░▀▀▀░░░▄▄▀▀██
██░▄▄░░▀▀▄▄░▄▄▀▀░░░░██
██░▀▀░░░░░░█░░░░░██░██
██░░░▄▄░░░░█░██░░░░░██
██░░░▀▀░░░░█░░░░░░░░██
██░░░░░▄▄░░█░░░░░██░██
██▄░░░░▀▀░░█░██░░░░░██
█████▄▄░░░░█░░░░▄▄████
█████████▄▄█▄▄████████

▀████████████████████▀

✔️ Rainbot
✔️ Daily Quests
✔️ Faucet
smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 06:18:41 PM

^ What's with the supply reduction?  And how can they do that in the middle of the game?  That's not good if you're trying to set up a 'currency'.  I mean...  wtf dude?

They just moved the decimal in how the amounts are displayed. It didn't really change anything in the underlying system.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure the original "supply reduction" question was about dashcoin supply reduction, but it does apply to Darkcoin/Dash as well. The two reductions were quite different though.
toknormal
Legendary

Activity: 3066
Merit: 1188

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 06:25:12 PM

x/dark/dash was never about privacy or instant transactions or distributed consensus

Oh really ?

I've been following this project for almost a year and a half now and as far as I can see that's ALL it's about. The dev team to little else than pursue those precise technical objectives to the exclusion of almost all other priorities.

Maybe you just haven't noticed.
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 06:28:02 PM

Yes, this is correct.

Wallstreet is on board with any and all shady premine shit, just look at ripple

Not sure Wall Street would consider it the same: a silicon valley production that is open and upfront about their premine versus some alt dev from Arizona with a shady beginning that he claims was an accident (at least the part he talks about).

Ripple has never tried to spin or skew what it is from Wall Street (despite the crypto community's dislike for what it is).

smooth
Legendary

Activity: 2968
Merit: 1198

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 06:30:01 PM

I am a bit skeptical of Dash, but I've been wrong before and I could be wrong about Dash. So, I have a question.
IIUC when Darkcoin/Dash was first released Evan Duffield told people that mining would start at a certain time. However (and again this is my understanding and I could be wrong), Evan then went and issued it early with the result that miners who had believed it would be released as he had said missed the early mining stage when many (?) coins were released/mined.

You have been misled

I don't think so.

if you are interested in knowing more about the launch issues be sure to read this article:

Please provide a specific quote from that post where Evan explained why the launch happened within hours after Evan promised not to launch it within minutes/hours, and clearly caused at least one person (but more likely many) to miss the launch by several hours during which time a million or more coins were already mined.

Ok now it insta crashes when I type "setgenerate true".

Time to go to bed and try again next week?

Yeah, let's do that. I obviously need to do some more testing. Thanks everyone!

Best thing to do I guess. Please, confirm you won't be launching after some minutes/hours even if you fix it, and the sooner would be tomorrow, thanks.

Definitely not. I'll also follow up with this post when I do set a time.

Launch is being moved to 11PM EST!

... seriously?

Just woke up to this Sad How many hours have I lost? Oh, well.  Time to git pull and launch it again.
Days

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 07:01:11 PM

It is true once they see you succeed, they all come barking at you. Why don't you do some development instead of coming to forums? it is sad watching people hating because Dash doing something they couldn't even think of because IF they did they would already be having what Dash has instant transactions/Governance model/ two tier network, and more....really man do something instead of really just hating. I just invested on Dash and I already feeling the hate -,-
generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 07:09:07 PM

It is true once they see you succeed, they all come barking at you. Why don't you do some development instead of coming to forums? it is sad watching people hating because Dash doing something they couldn't even think of because IF they did they would already be having what Dash has instant transactions/Governance model/ two tier network, and more....really man do something instead of really just hating. I just invested on Dash and I already feeling the hate -,-

He asked a question about the early launch, and since the answer doesn't reflect well for dash, you are hand waving about jealousy and supposed innovations--honestly, I'd love to dig into dash's clumsy technology, but this hardly seems the time and place and there are plenty of threads that have outlined these failures, but I doubt you want to bring those issues to light.

Days

View Profile
December 30, 2015, 07:53:43 PM

He asked a question about the early launch, and since the answer doesn't reflect well for dash, you are hand waving about jealousy and supposed innovations--honestly, I'd love to dig into dash's clumsy technology, but this hardly seems the time and place and there are plenty of threads that have outlined these failures, but I doubt you want to bring those issues to light.

I just don't get the hate, you obviously just don't like Dash and wish that Dash investors lose ALL their money so you can feel happy. But even if you say that I did my research and even asked questions and I knew about what's bad/good about Dash and Monero "since you support it and fanboying about it" at the end nor you or you're developers who are all about gambling with no development over a year here saying this coin is bad and that coin is bad...why don't you tell us why your'e great instead? what innovations have you created that I can actually compare you with Dash? and please just stop the hate i've seen you're history just now (•̀o•́)ง
Macrochip

Activity: 465
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 08:12:15 PM

why don't you tell us why your'e great instead? what innovations have you created that I can actually compare you with Dash?

He has nothing to show for. Zero. Zip. Nada. That's why he's pissed.
In the entire year of 2015 Monero has achieved... let me count.... umm... cleaning up the codebase.... umm.. oh yeah: NOTHING

Yeah. 365 days of zero achievement. Do I really have to list what Dash has achieved in 2015? How much time do you have?
Suffice it to say it revolutionized the entire fucking paradigm on how we govern cryptocurrency projects. Precisely the problem Bitcoin in its very foundation is facing this very moment. Solved. By Evan Duffield & Team. Go figure.

Yes, this is correct.

Yeah typical. Lying was always his strong suit. Never saw a single rational argument from him.
Anyway, since people nowadays can't even be bothered to click a fucking link, let me dish it out directly:

Launch

It was January 18, 2014 and I had everything ready or so I thought. I announced the launch of Darkcoin (XCoin at the time) on BitcoinTalk. We launched later and immediately got stuck on block 42, I was new to the Bitcoin codebase and wasn’t sure what I missed so I announced we’d relaunch later.

When we relaunched we had a rush of miners join causing a huge spike of coin production without it being able to adjust the difficulty quick enough, we just ended up spilling out coins. Retargeting happened every 576 blocks and could only increase the difficulty by four times, so it took about six retargets to get to a difficulty that was near 2.5 minutes per block.

Later on, after the difficulty evened out we realized that there was a serious problem with the block reward calculation. You can see people discussing the problems here:

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=421615.120

I soon fixed this issue at block 4500, but none of us realized the amount of coins that had been issued at the time. At that point we didn’t even have a block explorer yet.

Source: The Birth of Darkcoin

Evan talks about the launch in this interview as well:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rNZcO2vm7Jc&feature=youtu.be&t=791

Plus he made numerous statements about the launch in Q&As, other interviews and dozens of forum posts. That topic is the only (laughable) critic trolltards ever came up with for two years achieving nothing.
Oh yeah: Yelling "Dash is broken" all day without proving that it actually is doesn't make Dash look bad. It only makes you look like a complete idiot.

generalizethis
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 08:12:33 PM

I just don't get the hate, you obviously just don't like Dash and wish that Dash investors lose ALL their money so you can feel happy. But even if you say that I did my research and even asked questions and I knew about what's bad/good about Dash and Monero "since you support it and fanboying about it" at the end nor you or you're developers who are all about gambling with no development over a year here saying this coin is bad and that coin is bad...why don't you tell us why your'e great instead? what innovations have you created that I can actually compare you with Dash? and please just stop the hate i've seen you're history just now (•̀o•́)ง

Again, the OP asked a question, so no reason to hand wave and get it off topic. You can revisit the drk vs. xmr thread if you feel like you have a new comparison that benefits dash. You can also look at Monero speculation or the Monero ANN page or r/monero if you are looking for a discussion on Monero's innovations.

*Also, Macrochiponhisshoulders, did I really need to add that Evan never answered why he launched early in a satisfactorily way? "We launched later" doesn't qualify as to explaining why those who went to bed thinking there was a later launch got shafted by a impromptu launch.

Macrochip

Activity: 465
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2015, 08:18:55 PM

Yeah stop pretending to care about OPs question when you just hijacked the opportunity to rant about Dash: The only purpose of this sock puppet account.

The question was fully answered by me and my quotations.

/thread

Pages: « 1 [2] 3 4 5 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: