Bitcoin Forum
May 05, 2024, 02:22:43 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is this idea to counter lost bitcoins possible?  (Read 9440 times)
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1536
Merit: 1000

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 01:41:51 AM

Yeah, and everybody, except people like you, know what theft is. It's not leaving something untouched for over 100 years and then crying about when it's taken when you have countless decades to stop it from being taken.

"It's not theft if you didn't do some as-of-today unnecessary ritual that I want to impose on you".

See?  I told you guys.  Reasons matter not -- the thief will invent lifeboat scenarios and false reasons to pretend that his theft isn't theft.

I love Bitcoin because it allows me to protect myself from precisely these types of insidious thieves, who love to invent exceptions to the very simple rule "don't steal".
It's only unnecessary today because we don't have a system which requires it to be done. It would become necessary if we wanted to implement a system capable of recycling lost coins. The "ritual" would have a clear purpose and meaning in that case, making it useful and necessary. And it's not theft if you are given every possible chance to avoid something being taken but still allow it to be taken. Your entire argument basically boils down to "I don't want to have to do this one little thing every hundred years or so". I mean please.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
Cryptonite - 1st mini-blockchain altcoin | BitShop - digital shop script
Web Developer - PHP, SQL, JS, AJAX, JSON, XML, RSS, HTML, CSS
Activity + Trust + Earned Merit == The Most Recognized Users on Bitcointalk
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 01:43:36 AM

I know no one else has accessed my coins because my gold bar is in tact
You could store the key in many other things which don't immediately lose a great deal of value when opened, but still provide the same amount of indication that it has been opened. I fail to see your point.

XCN: CYsvPpb2YuyAib5ay9GJXU8j3nwohbttTz | BTC: 18MWPVJA9mFLPFT3zht5twuNQmZBDzHoWF
drakahn

Activity: 504
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 01:48:25 AM

You could store the key in many other things which don't immediately lose a great deal of value when opened, but still provide the same amount of indication that it has been opened. I fail to see your point.
That it is mine and I should not have to open it because a very small minority don't like that they can't steal, regardless of what it is made from

14ga8dJ6NGpiwQkNTXg7KzwozasfaXNfEU
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 01:57:11 AM

That it is mine and I should not have to open it because a very small minority don't like that they can't steal, regardless of what it is made from
So basically your argument also boils down to the fact you don't want to do this simple thing every 100 years or so... but you take it further and say "oh it's harder for me because I make my private keys hard to access and it costs me a lot of money when I access them. Although I could make it so I don't lose a lot of money when I access them but I don't roll that way.". Saying this shouldn't be implemented because it would ruin your obscure plan is simply absurd. The benefits of it outweigh your freedom to implement your obscure plan.

drakahn

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 01:58:14 AM

Its not about it being hard, its about it being a ridiculous request

Rudd-O

Activity: 56
Merit: 0

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 02:05:58 AM

Its not about it being hard, its about it being a ridiculous request

Exactly.  Guy here is telling you "why is it so hard for you to bend over so I can steal from you?"  Hahaha!  What a guy, eh?

Thieves use reason to manipulate others, but they don't accept reason themselves.  Sorta like a counterfeiter passing fake bills while being careful to get real ones, except in reverse.

--------------------------------------------------

In other news: I stopped being angry when I finally understood that what bitthief! wants is theft.  A couple of hours before it hadn't dawned on me, so I was (understandably) very pissed at him for not comprehending that what he proposes is theft.  I was like "how could you not fucking understand that stealing people's savings is stealing?".

But now that I figured out he doesn't want to understand, my anger's gone, completely replaced by the satisfaction of knowing that Bitcoin has protected me from people like him, who would seek to use subterfuge to steal from me.

Phew!
justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:07:02 AM

The benefits of it outweigh your freedom to implement your obscure plan.
Prove it.

There's absolutely nothing stopping you from inventing your own cryptocurrency with all the wonderful improvements you can possibly imagine and watching the existing Bitcoin users flock to your superior system. You are also perfectly free not to use Bitcoin if you're worried about the way it works.
Rudd-O

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 02:12:19 AM

I said that much to him, first calmly then angrily.  He didn't ever listen or respond to that.

That's when I understood that he actually wants theft.  That's when it finally made sense for me that he was giving all these nonsensical "reasons" to implement his plan.
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 02:20:47 AM

Thieves use reason to manipulate others, but they don't accept reason themselves.
Yes... my plan here is to implement this change, so that 100 years from now, I can re-mine your inactive coins when you fail to claim them, never mind the fact that mining isn't exactly the same as getting free coins, or that I'll probably be dead by then. Would you listen to yourself, you're the one trying to manipulate others here with your delusional logic.

justusranvier
Legendary

Activity: 1400
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:21:09 AM

That's when I understood that he actually wants theft.  That's when it finally made sense for me that he was giving all these nonsensical "reasons" to implement his plan.
Expect continual attempts to do this as Bitcoin gets closer to becoming mainstream.

You don't think the parasites that currently infect the legacy financial system are just going to get go real jobs when the current system is no longer able to feed them, do you?
Rudd-O

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 02:22:55 AM

That's when I understood that he actually wants theft.  That's when it finally made sense for me that he was giving all these nonsensical "reasons" to implement his plan.
Expect continual attempts to do this as Bitcoin gets closer to becoming mainstream.

Just today, I've read four threads about this, two here and two in Reddit.  All of them littered with the same irrational propositions.  It's like all of these idiots' brains malfunction, but malfunction in a very specific, pro-theft way.  What a coincidence!

You don't think the parasites that currently infect the legacy financial system are just going to get go real jobs when the current system is no longer able to feed them, do you?

I absolutely expect them to take to the streets once they figure out that the end of their gravy train is nigh.

Part of "taking it to the streets" is useful idiots doing the Lord's propaganda work of sabotaging that which (they perceive) is costing them the gravy.  This will most def include Bitcoin.

Think about it -- how much do these parasites get from other people's inheritances?  Bitcoin's gonna do away with that gravy train.  Isn't that precisely the point of making long-term Bitcoin savings stealable?
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 02:28:02 AM

lol you guys really are living in your own little fantasy world aren't you. "Those there mainstream folks are coming to steals our coins yall! Rabble rabble rabble rabble!!!"

drakahn

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:29:16 AM

lol you guys really are living in your own little fantasy world aren't you. "Those there mainstream folks are coming to steals our coins yall! Rabble rabble rabble rabble!!!"
You are the one unable to see the reality that fatal changes like what you are asking for will NEVER be a part of bitcoin.

Rudd-O

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 02:29:47 AM

Oh, bitfilch's switched to condescension and derision!  That means he's finally out of lies!  Yippeee!
Rudd-O

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 02:35:44 AM

You are the one unable to see the reality that fatal changes like what you are asking for will NEVER be a part of bitcoin.

Yeah, he lives in a fantasy world where he thinks that we'll all bend over and take his theft in the ass.

I do have to love one thing about the whole ordeal in this thread (which I suspect will be ending very soon):

I love that he has to beg.

See, if this was fiat money we were talking about, and he proposed stealing from us via, say, stealing from deposit boxes (which has happened and still does happen today), and he, say, did business under the name "United States", we'd be fucked.  We'd just be robbed and there would be absolutely nothing we could do, just like they do in fact steal from people's deposit boxes today, and make you sue them to get your shit back.

But here, with Bitcoin, he has zero power.  So he has to beg, and he has to lie, and he has to manipulate, and he has to play stupid.  All these demeaning actions, right, that reveal him for what he really is.

I love that shit, because I know that, for all the hot air he might expel, it's inconsequential.  He can't steal my shit.    I quite enjoy when I get to see thieves on the other side of the fence, powerless to get at me.  I like to wave at them, and say "Haha!  Fuck you, you can't steal from me!".
bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 02:36:12 AM

Oh, bitfilch's switched to condescension and derision!  That means he's finally out of lies!  Yippeee!
lol the only lies I see here are from you trying to suggest I'm planning this all to steal your coins 100 years from now. Get a grip man, we can all see that is totally false no matter how you try to spin it. I'm suggesting this because I believe it has economic validity, and is more aligned with the Austrian line of thought which Bitcoin was built upon. You witched to condescension and derision in this thread long before I did, so what does that say about you Mr. Super Righteous bitcoiner.

drakahn

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:39:12 AM

Oh, bitfilch's switched to condescension and derision!  That means he's finally out of lies!  Yippeee!
lol the only lies I see here are from you trying to suggest I'm planning this all to steal your coins 100 years from now. Get a grip man, we can all see that is totally false no matter how you try to spin it. I'm suggesting this because I believe it has economic validity, and is more aligned with the Austrian line of thought which Bitcoin was built upon. You witched to condescension and derision in this thread long before I did, so what does that say about you Mr. Super Righteous bitcoiner.
Actually the majority here recognise coin "reclaiming" as theft, they are not your coins to decide the fate of.

Rudd-O

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 02:41:48 AM

I just thought of something.

Bitcoin is really only the first step in protecting oneself from theft.  We can already see how this is too disturbing for statists not to react, sabotage or otherwise defame.  "You need a state to have money" has been refuted by reality.

But there will come a day when someone invents a personal protection shield that prevents you from getting shot, stabbed, beaten or caged.  It's really just a matter of time.

And then, you'll be able to protect yourself, not only from common criminals, but from organized criminals, including those who allegedly exist only to "protect" you.  They won't be able to attack you to get your obedience and your money.  "You need a state for protection" will have been refuted by reality too.

Can you imagine that, for just a second?

I can already envision the headlines in the mainstream media: "Terrorists use unauthorized protection devices", "Only The Government should be allowed to own protection devices", "Evil people evade good taxes with evil protection devices".  And the consequential demonization of anyone who buys, makes or sells one of these...

...proving beyond all doubt that government was never about protecting people.  It was about farming them.  Except it won't matter anymore, because these organized criminals won't be able to do a thing about it.

That'll be the day when statists will literally lose their shit.
drakahn

View Profile
December 18, 2012, 02:44:53 AM

I just thought of something.

Bitcoin is really only the first step in protecting oneself from theft.  We can already see how this is too disturbing for statists not to react, sabotage or otherwise defame.

But there will come a day when someone invents a personal protection shield that prevents you from getting shot, stabbed, beaten or caged.

That'll be the day when statists will literally lose their shit.

inb4 personal shields needing to be proven that they aren't 'lost' by turning themselves off randomly, allowing them to be 'reclaimed'

bitfreak! (OP)
Legendary

electronic [r]evolution

View Profile WWW
December 18, 2012, 02:45:25 AM

Oh, bitfilch's switched to condescension and derision!  That means he's finally out of lies!  Yippeee!
Actually the majority here recognise coin "reclaiming" as theft, they are not your coins to decide the fate of.
Yes you may propose the concept of coin recycling as theft, but Rudd-O is now directly accusing me of trying to steal his bitcoins.

1) I wont be stealing anything because I will be dead by the time it happens
2) this system doesn't allow anyone to specifically target any coins to steal
3) the coins will need to be re-mined and not just easy to take at will
4) I argue it's not theft if you are given every chance to secure ownership

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 9 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: