Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 02:37:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Storing money on Smartphone is far more secure than desktop or laptop  (Read 9338 times)
calkob

Activity: 1092
Merit: 520

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 12:06:07 AM

I love bread wallet on the iphone i have been using it for ages now, however im not sure i would wana keep all my bitcoin there.  i think paper wallets are still one of the best options out there......  Roll Eyes

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Unlike traditional banking where clients have only a few account numbers, with Bitcoin people can create an unlimited number of accounts (addresses). This can be used to easily track payments, and it improves anonymity.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
EdenHazard
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1048

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 06:48:05 AM

iOS is more secure than Android btw. If you want Android with better security get the new Blackberry Priv running Android thats been out recently.

Breadwallet ceo:

RVC: I've read that mobile wallets should only be used for pocket change. How much money can I safely keep on my phone at one time?

It's ironic, because many people don't realize that their smartphones are actually the most secure computing device they own, far more secure than desktop or laptop systems. It's wallets that can be accessed from the web or desktop that should really only be used for pocket change.

An iPhone uses the same techniques of app sandboxing and enforced code signatures that dedicated hardware wallets use. The phone is also hardware encrypted so your funds are strongly protected even if it's physically stolen. The US DOJ even complains publicly that the phones are too secure. Some people prefer to keep large amounts in paper wallets, but for someone who doesn't have a strong technical knowledge of bitcoin, misunderstanding how change addresses work can result in total loss, so they're not really suitable for the general public. There was recently a $1M dollar bounty offered for a remote jailbreak of iOS, and the winner ended up having to use an exploit in the chrome app, so if we assume markets are efficient, then in theory it should be safe to keep at least $1M in breadwallet (if you don't use chrome).
i dont know which better between ios and android for store bitcoin or used bitcoin transaction,but if you said smartphone better and more secure than computer dekstop,i agree with that,but i have my own statment why smartphone is better,that because we always bring smartphone every where,and not bring dekstop PC everwhere Grin

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████
.30+  ALTCOINS AVAILABLE..
bitraine

Activity: 348
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 10:32:13 AM

I agree with the op. smartphone seem to be the safest way to store your bitcoins. I use  mycelium btc wallet. can check  balance evrywhre I go and a pass phrase option to  secure your bitcoins
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2015, 10:35:23 AM

I agree with the op. smartphone seem to be the safest way to store your bitcoins. I use  mycelium btc wallet. can check  balance evrywhre I go and a pass phrase option to  secure your bitcoins

It depends, i wouldnt store my bitcoin on my phone. i hold some there but its just for spending. If im holding then theres no other way to do it than a paper wallet.

ThunderThomas

Activity: 210
Merit: 100

fastdice.com The Worlds Fastest Bitcoin Dice

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2015, 10:50:17 AM

I wouldn't store anything on my phone. It doesn't seem the safest option at all. Your phone is easy to get stolen as well.
I would put the bitcoins I don't use on a cold wallet.

ajrah

Activity: 350

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 10:55:20 AM

I wouldn't store anything on my phone. It doesn't seem the safest option at all. Your phone is easy to get stolen as well.
I would put the bitcoins I don't use on a cold wallet.
As long as you protected your account with 2fa and use unique password your coins are safe. Never ever use "remember password". Not a good idea.

bitraine

Activity: 348

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 10:55:54 AM

I agree with the op. smartphone seem to be the safest way to store your bitcoins. I use  mycelium btc wallet. can check  balance evrywhre I go android a pass phrase option to  secure your bitcoins

It depends, i wouldnt store my bitcoin on my phone. i hold some there but its just for spending. If im holding then theres no other way to do it than a paper wallet.

yah, you have point there, but its very technical to some people that  wouldn't understand the technology of bitcoin. this is the best I can explain to them. mobile wallet+bitcoins
a7mos

Activity: 574
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 11:09:09 AM

If the android device is rooted, it will not be secure to install bitcoin wallet on it
To be safe while using mobile wallets, I export the private keys because the mobile might get broken or stolen
helloeverybody
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

★YoBit.Net★ 350+ Coins Exchange & Dice

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2015, 11:13:18 AM

If the android device is rooted, it will not be secure to install bitcoin wallet on it
To be safe while using mobile wallets, I export the private keys because the mobile might get broken or stolen

My device is rooted and ive had no problems yet. thats not to say i wont get any and i dont think stagefreight has been patched much yet either which puts almost 99 percent of androids at risk. For mycelium i have the seed written down so if i lose my phone i can at least recover my btc. Ive already lost 0.4+ btc from trying to teach my phone to swim.

Newcoins2020

Activity: 406

View Profile
December 19, 2015, 11:13:39 AM

Having money on your phone is always handy, since you bring your phone anywhere you go, you can just pay with bitcoins on your phone. I wouldn't hold too much on your phone since your phone could easily be stolen, if you've made backups of your keys, you should be okay though. You wouldn't have anything to worry about if you go that set up.
ausbit
Legendary

Activity: 1330
Merit: 1019

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 09:56:01 AM

Having money on your phone is always handy, since you bring your phone anywhere you go, you can just pay with bitcoins on your phone. I wouldn't hold too much on your phone since your phone could easily be stolen, if you've made backups of your keys, you should be okay though. You wouldn't have anything to worry about if you go that set up.
Storing money on smartphone or desktop or laptop, we have to think about the security of all these three. Desktop or laptop or smartphone every where we have to use internet. and virus and scammers comes through internet only. So better to do some precuatious measures and make it all secure with some kind of trusted software and pass keys.

Erkallys
Legendary

Activity: 1120
Merit: 1004

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 10:18:19 AM

Never forget that you phone is small and thus can be broken, stolen and lost far more easily than your desktop computer. I'd say that you can store up to 1000$ of Bitcoin in your phone, even if personnaly I'd stop at 100$.
Kevin77
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1057

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 01:06:17 PM

Storing money on smartphone or desktop or laptop, we have to think about the security of all these three. Desktop or laptop or smartphone every where we have to use internet. and virus and scammers comes through internet only. So better to do some precuatious measures and make it all secure with some kind of trusted software and pass keys.

What are we really talking about here? about Bitcoin? or real money? For me, all have the same amount of safety and risks. Bitcoin wallets for smartphone is just a support feature by the walletproviders to easily access your wallet through your smartphone. You can access your wallet through both computer and smartphone, and it all shows the same thing.
cointtoo

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 03:09:46 PM

I agree that iOS is more secure, it has a closed nature and I imagine installing something malicious is very difficult, Using wifi or public networks while dealing with BTC in a phone would be a bad idea IMO though.

♦  Bitcoin-Scratchticket.com  ♦   ♦  Win Bitcoin Playing Scratchtickets  ♦    ♦  Provably Fair  ♦ 
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  All
  Print  

Jump to: