Bitcoin Forum
May 11, 2024, 07:03:24 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Why Bitcoin Matters  (Read 511 times)
the_poet (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1137
Merit: 1035

Bitcoin accepted here

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 02:53:15 PM

Great article, I particularly like this passage:
Perhaps the financial industry will, in its infinite wisdom, build a blockchain killer app. I don’t rule it out. But it seems very strange to ignore the fact that one already exists, and has quite literally created $6 billion of value out of nothing. So I’m not particularly interested in most big-bank or corporate-consortium blockchain initiatives, or other applications that claim to be revolutionary because they use a particular data structure.

http://techcrunch.com/2016/01/02/why-bitcoin-matters/

Under construction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"The nature of Bitcoin is such that once version 0.1 was released, the core design was set in stone for the rest of its lifetime." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
n2004al
Legendary

Activity: 1134
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 07:28:45 PM

Perhaps the financial industry will, in its infinite wisdom, build a blockchain killer app. I don’t rule it out. But it seems very strange to ignore the fact that one already exists, and has quite literally created $6 billion of value out of nothing. So I’m not particularly interested in most big-bank or corporate-consortium blockchain initiatives, or other applications that claim to be revolutionary because they use a particular data structure.

While me like to much this one:

The most epochal financial transaction of this century, to date, occurred on May 22, 2010. It did not involve Wall Street, or the City of London; it took place in Jacksonville, Florida. It did not feature collateralized debt obligations, or credit default swaps. It was a purchase of two Papa John’s pizzas, in exchange for a payment whose present value currently exceeds US $4 million.

It is the most brilliant paragraph which show all the good and right understanding of the author of the article of the invention of bitcoin and the blockchain. the red words of this paragraph express the real power of peer to peer. The most important factor behind the importance of bitcoin. The peer to peer technology about which very few talk or write even here in bitcointalk is the real power of bitcoin. The cause of its being decentralized and without owner, the cause of its impossibility to be owned some day in the future, the cause of its anonymity. In few words, the cause of everything can be appreciated today or in the future, known or that maybe will be known in the future, regarding bitcoin. But the financial field of the use of peer to peer is only the tip of the iceberg of its power and its spread. It is only the experimental field of it. The real power of this technology will be known and verified in to many others. But when will be known better. As the bitcoin, even the technology which made possible the creation of it are in their daysprings.
Hannu

Activity: 1061
Merit: 502

RIP: S5, A faithful device long time

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 07:31:15 PM

I waiting those 24 bitcoin satellites to launch on earth orbit 2016.  Smiley Bitcoin is future!

BTC: 3Qnnx4cu45Gx4WcksNCnBPu3TaUZ5sKkLo
LTC: LYX1ZH7f4qcXq52AzA6grUYDfDngVz7BEi
XRP: rLrbZMJDdL8eQd7HsW314bCtvE16LTLYkM?dt=1113
Palinanv

Activity: 70
Merit: 10

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 07:32:25 PM

Bitcoin matters because we need to protect ourselves from the government stealing from us so they can use our money to fund things that we never asked them to fund. It's not fair.
xmax

Activity: 131
Merit: 100

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 08:23:33 PM

I waiting those 24 bitcoin satellites to launch on earth orbit 2016.  Smiley Bitcoin is future!
Where can we read more about these satellites and what they are going to do?  I am very interested in this for if these satellites are going to be thee for the purpose of processing BTC transactions, that would be great, but I have to raise the question as to who is funding them and who will maintain them.
Gronthaing
Legendary

Activity: 1135
Merit: 1001

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 08:32:08 PM

I waiting those 24 bitcoin satellites to launch on earth orbit 2016.  Smiley Bitcoin is future!
Where can we read more about these satellites and what they are going to do?  I am very interested in this for if these satellites are going to be thee for the purpose of processing BTC transactions, that would be great, but I have to raise the question as to who is funding them and who will maintain them.

That's part of the bitsat program. The nanosatellites will be a cluster of bitcoin nodes. And their partners with cubesats offer cloud computing. Then they plan to sell more satellites. $1 million each. Don't know if they have other sources of income. http://www.coindesk.com/bitcoin-nanosatellites-orbit-earth-2016
EdenHazard
Legendary

Activity: 2674
Merit: 1048

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 11:25:18 PM

perhaps because bitcoin decentralized, and they fear can not control bitcoin, also because bitcoin prices are very volatile, and many other things that make bitcoin is seen as a problem by some of the financial industry companies.

.7 BTC  WELCOME BONUS!..
███████████████████████████
██████████▀▀▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▀▀██████
█████████▄██████ ████ ▀████
██████▀▀ ▄▄▄▄ ▀▀███▀▄██ ███
████▀   ██████   ▀██████ ██
███ ▄▄▄████████▄▄▄ ██▄▄▄ ██
██ █████▀    ▀█████ ████ ██
██  ▀██        ███▀ ███ ███
██   ▄██▄    ▄██▄   █▀▄████
███ ▄████████████▄ ████████
████▄▀███▀▀▀▀███▀▄█████████
██████▄▄      ▄▄███████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
█████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████▄█████▄█▄███▄█▄██████████▄██▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██████████████▀████▄████▀██████████████████████████▄█████▄██▄█████▄████▄████▄████▄████████
█████████████████▐█████▌███████████▄█████▀███▀▀████████▀▀▀▀█████▀▀▀██████▀▀███▀▀███████████
██████████████▄████▀████▄██████████████████▄▄▄▄▄███▄▄▄▄█████▄▄▄████████████████████████
████████████████▀█▀███▀█▀██████████▀███████▀█████████▀█████▀██▀█████▀███████████████████████
██████████████████████████████▀▀▀████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████▀▀  ▐█▌  ▀▀████████
██████▄     ▐█▌     ▄██████
████ ▀██▄▄███████▄▄██▀ ████
███    ██▀▀  ▄  ▀▀██    ███
██    ██   ▄███▄   ██    ██
████████  ███████  ████████
██    ██  ▀▀ █ ▀▀  ██    ██
███    ██▄▄ ▀▀▀ ▄▄██    ███
████ ▄██▀▀██████▀▀▀██▄ ████
██████▀     ▐█▌     ▀██████
████████▄▄  ▐█▌  ▄▄████████