Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 11:54:19 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Where is a good place to report a bug to Satoshi main client?  (Read 892 times)
felipelalli (OP)

Activity: 229
Merit: 103

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 03:09:29 AM

Thank you very much.
BitcoinCleanup.com: Learn why Bitcoin isn't bad for the environment
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 23, 2012, 03:32:11 AM

Thank you very much.

You can open a new ticket on the Bitcoin project on GitHub:
 - https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues

If you aren't sure it is a bug, you might share your problem here and maybe there is some workaround or other useful information you'ld end up with.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

maaku
Legendary
expert

Activity: 905
Merit: 1011

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 01:12:15 AM

If you think there are security ramifications, email Gavin directly.

I'm an independent developer working on bitcoin-core, making my living off community donations.
If you like my work, please consider donating yourself: 13snZ4ZyCzaL7358SmgvHGC9AxskqumNxP
felipelalli (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 05:30:35 AM

Thank you guys. No, I didn't find a security issue or even anything so important. It is quite simple: I am using the latest stable Ubuntu (12.10). I was using the 0.6.x main client and everything was ok. I was used let my computer 24h/day on, all ports open to Internet, large bandwidth etc. But my computer has a little problem: it resets almost everyday, at least once, with no obviously reason.

So far I've never had a problem before. BUT when I update to 0.7.x I have a "blkindex.dat" is corrupted *every day* (I think due to my computer resets) and my client just crashes at begin. When I delete blk* I can start it again but everything starts from scratch (and I can't see my balance and make transactions). I had to stop to use the main client, but I want to use it because I know the main client is the best for the network p2p. Electrum uses a server and MultiBit download only few blocks and AFAIK it doesn't share with network.

I found the same issue on Internet:

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/3305/bitcoin-will-not-open-instead-i-see-error-loading-blkindex-dat

http://bitcoin.stackexchange.com/questions/5876/how-can-i-recover-from-a-corrupted-blkindex-dat-on-ubuntu-12-10

thank you!!
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 10:04:13 AM

my computer has a little problem: it resets almost everyday, at least once, with no obviously reason.

Did you recently upgrade memory?   Sometimes it is something like incompatible memory that can cause this.  Or other hardware issues.

Those types of issues are tough to resolve. 

When I delete blk* I can start it again but everything starts from scratch

The bitcoin.org client uses BDB and it is a database that has the ability to recover from crashes.  There are BDB databases other than blk*, there is also wallet.dat and peers.dat.   If you don't yet have any funds on your wallet, then you can wipe the entire bitcoin directory and have it try from a completely clean, known state.

I had to stop to use the main client, but I want to use it because I know the main client is the best for the network p2p.

Running the full blockchain client isn't for everyone, but if you want to keep at it you probably want to resolve the once-a-day system crash issue first.

The next version of the bitcoin.org client uses a different storage system (LevelDB).  I haven't learned up on it yet to know if it might function better in an environment where system crashes are frequent so I can't say if this situation you find yourself in would still occur or not.  What I do know is that with the next version if you did need to wipe the blockchain and pull a fresh one, doing so is something measured in minutes (e.g. 250 minutes maybe) versus days.

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

felipelalli (OP)

View Profile
December 24, 2012, 06:42:13 PM

Hi Stephen Gornick! Thanks for the answer. I didn't have tried to delete everything, it's a good try. I already save my funds exporting and importing private keys to another client.

About the computer, I have this problem since I bought it and it is a known problem Dell Studio XPS + Ubuntu. Actually this version of my XPS has some issues on Windows too. This is the life, nothing what I can do easily to fix it.

Well, I hope the new DB is more crash-safely. It's a good news for me the DB is changing. Is a shred of hope.

So did you think this is not a bug? Is it a feature or just a limitation?

Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: