Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:55:25 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What would be a good asic miner to start with?  (Read 2637 times)
Deus667 (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 09:50:04 AM

Hello guys...

I've been looking into the asic world and since I started got lucky a few times and got burned too...

I would like to invest in an asic miner and buy it brand new (don't want to risk getting used gear that craps out on me)
But what manufacturer delivers and what should I be looking for?

I've been reading about the new 16nm chips that should be released this year...
So obviously I would be dumb to spend too much money on a 28nm asic miner...

Any advice would be welcome,
Thanks!

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
RichBC

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 03:53:54 PM

If you buy Today your only Choices are Bitmain S7 or Avalon6. Choice is close with supporters of both, so you would need to read the Forum and make your own decision.

As to future releases of 14 /16nm based Miners, then you are in the land of the unknown, with difficulty increases working against you and the Halving getting ever closer. BW.com will probably be one of the first in the next Month or so, could be keenly priced? Bitfury may release something or they might not, if they do will probably be the most efficient but likely to be pricey?

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 04:49:08 PM

If you buy Today your only Choices are Bitmain S7 or Avalon6. Choice is close with supporters of both, so you would need to read the Forum and make your own decision.

As to future releases of 14 /16nm based Miners, then you are in the land of the unknown, with difficulty increases working against you and the Halving getting ever closer. BW.com will probably be one of the first in the next Month or so, could be keenly priced? Bitfury may release something or they might not, if they do will probably be the most efficient but likely to be pricey?

Rich

On picking I would ask OP does he have 220/240?  That is decent factor in which one is best for his situation.  Also is noise a issue?  this also is big on picking.

Also OP what is your electricity?   That can help us see if ROI is even possible.
BTCBinary

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 08:24:03 PM

You can grab an ANtminer S7 and go solo. It is kinda lottery but if you find a block you make a good profit! However to pool mine you need to remember that we are nearing the halving and that new hardware will come out
Deus667 (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 09:22:39 PM

So... if I understand correctly... you all think the world of bitcoin is too far evolved for normal people to step in anymore?
RichBC

Activity: 588

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 09:26:31 PM

So... if I understand correctly... you all think the world of bitcoin is too far evolved for normal people to step in anymore?

Not sure how you deduced that from the replies you have had?

If you want some advice answer notlist3d questions above.

Rich

→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Hard-Disk Mineable Cryptocurrency !! B U R S T C O I N 💰 Cheap Price & Easy to Invest - CHECK IT OUT NOW! !! →→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→→ 💰 Asset exchange, Automatic transactions, Escrow system & More !!
BTCBinary

Activity: 504

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 09:55:46 PM

Not at all. Anyone can step into Bitcoin. However to start mining one would need to invest a lot of money and it would be a huge risk to take. The best way to get involved at this point is to buy some BTC and hold it for a while. Either than that you can invest less in cloud mining but you will probably not reach ROI
Deus667 (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 10:00:33 PM

Rich

On picking I would ask OP does he have 220/240?  That is decent factor in which one is best for his situation.  Also is noise a issue?  this also is big on picking.

Also OP what is your electricity?   That can help us see if ROI is even possible.
My apologies... I didn't know OP referred to me...

I do have 220/240v and noise is not the biggest issue. I would have a dedicated room.

Electric is not that cheap I guess... 8ct/kWh.

Not at all. Anyone can step into Bitcoin. However to start mining one would need to invest a lot of money and it would be a huge risk to take. The best way to get involved at this point is to buy some BTC and hold it for a while. Either than that you can invest less in cloud mining but you will probably not reach ROI

I tried some cloud mining next to my little home mining and honestly the numbers didn't seem to move in the same way... I'm not sure how much fate I have left in that...
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 10:04:16 PM

My apologies... I didn't know OP referred to me...

I do have 220/240v and noise is not the biggest issue. I would have a dedicated room.

Electric is not that cheap I guess... 8ct/kWh.

Okay, well 8ct is not excellent but its probably workable. Antminer S5 for 200$USD would probably be the smallest thing i would go for. Are you located in the US? An alternative for S7's but not for long are Avalon6, since they are already located in the US, you can save quite a bit for not having to import so it can be worth considering.

Then there's the S7 from bitmain.
https://www.bitmaintech.com/product.htm

For PSU's i'd look for some options here, probably a 220v kit from Finksy or Jabberwock depending on where you are located.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 10:16:42 PM
Last edit: January 04, 2016, 10:35:33 PM by toptek

If you buy bitcoins this is another way to invest that is safer then cloud mining but all ways remember that noting is fool proof.

https://btcjam.com/  I have few a hundred dollars in bitcoins inverted.

These is all ways risk with anything, including hard ware mining or having your own mining gear, which is the safest way to get bitcoins but it has it's risk like any thing.

Here are a few good suppliers of bitcoin gear in the US if he has it in stock he has a hard  time keeping most of the PSU break out boards in stock but he is in the US.

http://holybitcoin.com/

or this one but his stuff , to me is kind of out dated

http://www.gigampz.com/store/c1/Featured_Products.html

another way to go ..

sidehack he offers a lot and dev gear, if he can get the chips at a very reason able price and is for the home miner. links to what hes tiring to do for us on the forums and his site.

http://www.gekkoscience.com/products/D750_supply_breakout_board.html

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1173963.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1203190.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=995675.0

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
Deus667 (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 10:48:38 PM

Those sites are very interesting but I'm located in Europe. Not sure how shipping will be...

Actually I recently got burned buying 2 antminer s5 of ebay... both died within 12h... (don't know if there is something I can do about that)
This is why I'm a bit scared of "used gear"

I am looking at the S7 because they are popular and I guess you can resell them easily but then I about problems and failing boards again... (kinda gave me bad chill's)

Now, I'm not lazy and I know money doesn't come falling out of tree while sitting pretty.
But I want to believe with the right strategy there should be a way to grow into something decent.
(as long as you don't get scammed ofc...)
icem3lter

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 11:02:24 PM

At this point in the Bitcoin mining game I would say the best miner to start with would be the SP35 Yukon Power miner.
https://vimeo.com/114685493

It's $2,235
Which is expensive but it will pay off, now that the halving is coming we really have no choice but to buy expensive ass hardware.
I've had some success with it.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 11:03:13 PM

Those sites are very interesting but I'm located in Europe. Not sure how shipping will be...

Actually I recently got burned buying 2 antminer s5 of ebay... both died within 12h... (don't know if there is something I can do about that)
This is why I'm a bit scared of "used gear"

I am looking at the S7 because they are popular and I guess you can resell them easily but then I about problems and failing boards again... (kinda gave me bad chill's)

Now, I'm not lazy and I know money doesn't come falling out of tree while sitting pretty.
But I want to believe with the right strategy there should be a way to grow into something decent.
(as long as you don't get scammed ofc...)

One of the biggest issue's Europe seems to have is vat ontop of shipping.  Shipping cost is not bad but import taxes in some EU countries is horrible.

Your .08 cent's on electricity is decent about normal not great but not horrid.  I would check to make sure that's with fee's and taxes on electricity on that price double check as it is highly important.

If you stick with the two companies shipping this gen Avalon and Bitmain chances are they are not going to scam you.  Or go with trusted on buying used or use escrow it can be a great tool to stop scamming.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 11:05:57 PM

At this point in the Bitcoin mining game I would say the best miner to start with would be the SP35 Yukon Power miner.

It's $2,235
Which is expensive but it will pay off, now that the halving is coming we really have no choice but to buy expensive ass hardware.

I would disagree with efficiency "0.66W/GH/s".  If you already bought it long ago yes keep mining it until you sell it.  But with .08 cents electricity if buying I would go current gen.

After it is unprofitable then sell it.  But going into old gear is hard at .08 cent's.  Out of curiosity why would you say it is the best miner for OP?
Deus667 (OP)

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 11:35:17 PM

So, I guess the best choice would be something like the S7?
If the S5 does 0.5w/GH and the S7 is close to 0.25W/GH
By the time I get something back from the S5 I wouldn't be able to sell them any way, right?
icem3lter

Activity: 281
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 11:59:45 PM

It's $2,235

I would disagree with efficiency "0.66W/GH/s".  If you already bought it long ago yes keep mining it until you sell it.  But with .08 cents electricity if buying I would go current gen.

After it is unprofitable then sell it.  But going into old gear is hard at .08 cent's.  Out of curiosity why would you say it is the best miner for OP?

I say so because since the halving is coming up and more gh/s will be required, you need to buy more expensive sturdy hardware.

VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 12:54:46 AM

It's $2,235

I say so because since the halving is coming up and more gh/s will be required, you need to buy more expensive sturdy hardware.

But that hardware is dated, so i disagree with your recommendation, by far. Having a high hashrate per unit does not mean it is better return.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 02:40:29 AM
Last edit: January 05, 2016, 03:07:05 AM by toptek

The forums has a trade channel some of the  sellers are from the EU and you can trust them , any thing they sell they will back it up or all the stuff i have bought off the forums they have, i have yet to be ripped off , as for  ebay i would get back with the sellers see what they will do if they care about there rep  they may replace those miners that stopped , I'm not sure how the EU ebay works but they may offer a return even if the sellers won't you may get your money back if you do, come back here and use this link .

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?board=75.0

Look for deals i would use escrow in your case and only buy from Sr. Members and up with no bad red marks or bad comments by there names , make sure to read what they say.

follow the sidehack link his stuff is sold in the EU even thu he based in the US.

and here is link for PSU supply's were you live or they may be able to help you some,one other member here said check it out in this post.

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=966135.0
https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=893159.0

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1284563.0

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 03:28:04 AM

It's $2,235

I would disagree with efficiency "0.66W/GH/s".  If you already bought it long ago yes keep mining it until you sell it.  But with .08 cents electricity if buying I would go current gen.

After it is unprofitable then sell it.  But going into old gear is hard at .08 cent's.  Out of curiosity why would you say it is the best miner for OP?

But that hardware is dated, so i disagree with your recommendation, by far. Having a high hashrate per unit does not mean it is better return.

It is a bad idea more hash... is not what you base purchases on unless free electricity.  Virosa post is 100 percent correct. OP would be better off with 2 S7's.  For around the price you mentioned he will have more hash and efficiency around the .30w range.  

So less then 1/2 the efficiency.  Do you see what I mean?  Just makes a ton more sense on .08 cents.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:45:56 AM

So, I guess the best choice would be something like the S7?
If the S5 does 0.5w/GH and the S7 is close to 0.25W/GH
By the time I get something back from the S5 I wouldn't be able to sell them any way, right?

yeah, correct, leave the s5 alone, it's not worth it anymore, it's all about s7 now and in few month a new asic will come out, but since the s7 is relatively new you can hope for a good resell value
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: