Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 07:37:50 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: What would be a good asic miner to start with?  (Read 2637 times)
crazyivan
Legendary

Activity: 1652
Merit: 1007

DMD Diamond Making Money 4+ years! Join us!

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 07:47:11 AM

S7 would be the only choice IMHO, however, even in that case I still stand behind my words that home mining is about to end soon.

Mining diff goes up 20-30% per month these days and there s hardly any space these days to make money from mining.

This is why I always choose a few PoS coins to stake where I can get all transparency I need and they ve been making me money for over a year now, DMD, FLY and CLAM especially.

TRANSPARENCY IS THE KEY, do not let your greed controls you.

If anyone needs any help about PoS, let me know, always glad to help. No referral links, no sales from my side, NOTHING. I help people cause I m a nice guy.

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
QuintLeo
Legendary

Activity: 1498
Merit: 1030

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 11:24:24 AM

At this point in the Bitcoin mining game I would say the best miner to start with would be the SP35 Yukon Power miner.
https://vimeo.com/114685493

It's $2,235
Which is expensive but it will pay off, now that the halving is coming we really have no choice but to buy expensive ass hardware.
I've had some success with it.

Has not been available new from Spondoolies for something like a year now.
 VERY LOW efficiency by current standards - even their own SP20 can blow that away on efficiency.
 VERY LOW hashrate for the price - the Avalon 6 and Antminer 7 both offer a lot better on GH/$ and GH/w.
 WILL NOT PAY OFF unless you have FREE electricity - that high cost and low efficiency are prohibitive.

Only a MORON or the owner of that miner would make that suggestion seriously.

IMO the best thing to do on buying a new miner right now is WAIT. 14/16nm full custom is closer than most folks realise (and I'm NOT bothering to even watch the B-Eleven any more, it's not full-custom and not efficient enough to replace 28nm units).

I'm no longer legendary just in my own mind!
Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
1GYbjMTPdCuV7dci3iCUiaRrcNuaiQrVYY (Bitcoin)
Deus667 (OP)

Activity: 19
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 05, 2016, 08:55:49 PM
Last edit: January 05, 2016, 10:14:12 PM by Deus667

S7 would be the only choice IMHO, however, even in that case I still stand behind my words that home mining is about to end soon.

Mining diff goes up 20-30% per month these days and there s hardly any space these days to make money from mining.

This is why I always choose a few PoS coins to stake where I can get all transparency I need and they ve been making me money for over a year now, DMD, FLY and CLAM especially.

If anyone needs any help about PoS, let me know, always glad to help. No referral links, no sales from my side, NOTHING. I help people cause I m a nice guy.

PoS is Proof of Share, right?

"Took away the rest coz I don't wanna get banned for posting off topic stuff that belongs in the altcoin section
My apologies..."
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 01:38:02 AM

PoS is Proof of Share, right?

"Took away the rest coz I don't wanna get banned for posting off topic stuff that belongs in the altcoin section
My apologies..."

Dont worry, i did not meant it that harshly. The worse case scenario if the thread turn into an Altcoin discussion, it would get moved to the Altcoin discussion board. (<- and this talk belong in the Meta board lol. At least we can say the forum is "very well organised". Smiley )

PoS is proof of stake and regardless of what everyone may say, the one thing that decide if you should mine at home or not is whether you have cheap electricity or not (under 0.08$/kWh).

So an S7, if you can get it fairly cheap is actually a good option right now with the price of it dropping.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 09:34:51 AM

By your standard (less than 8c/KWH) my electric is cheap - yet I've NEVER had any of the calculations I've done show that the S7 will ever pay off. Usually not even all that close to doing so.

VERY VERY cheap (3c or under) maybe, though right now even at the way-too-late drop in S7 pricing it's still looking VERY iffy.

NOT 7.5c

Like something I said? Donations gratefully accepted. LYLnTKvLefz9izJFUvEGQEZzSkz34b3N6U (Litecoin)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 07:22:55 PM

By your standard (less than 8c/KWH) my electric is cheap - yet I've NEVER had any of the calculations I've done show that the S7 will ever pay off. Usually not even all that close to doing so.

VERY VERY cheap (3c or under) maybe, though right now even at the way-too-late drop in S7 pricing it's still looking VERY iffy.

NOT 7.5c

I would agree on cheap being closer to 3C or so.  The big guys can chase this electricity price and build where ever they find it.  This is why they have a huge advantage.   Some gear even at halving at 3C chances are they still can run.

Us more "regular" user's would be 8-10 cents or so I think.  And above 10 get's tough unless your one  of those who say's they use it for heat in winter... then it get's a little more complex.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 06, 2016, 08:18:24 PM

NOT 7.5c

No. 0.08$/kWh is not my standard for ROI'ing a S7. Its my standard that 0.08$/kWh+ is too high to mine. Though the S7 ROI in 4.5 months at current diff at 0.06$/kWh. That's not bad at all. The S7 itself will still be worth $ in 5 months too.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
toptek
Legendary

Activity: 1274

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 01:24:06 AM

At this point in the Bitcoin mining game I would say the best miner to start with would be the SP35 Yukon Power miner.

It's $2,235
Which is expensive but it will pay off, now that the halving is coming we really have no choice but to buy expensive ass hardware.

Really??? Even better than S7???
Can you tell me what's the hash rate???
Or are you trying to sell it knowing that you committed a mistake buying it yourself??? Tongue

It's not better , for that amount of cash you can buy two S7 and more then likely make it back in a few months if you do it right .

For security, your account has been locked. Email acctcomp15@theymos.e4ward.com
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 04:24:21 AM

It's $2,235

Really??? Even better than S7???
Can you tell me what's the hash rate???
Or are you trying to sell it knowing that you committed a mistake buying it yourself??? Tongue

It's not better , for that amount of cash you can buy two S7 and more then likely make it back in a few months if you do it right .

Mining is not longer a few month's.  It's a longer process unless your talking about mining and selling.  Some have done good with mining with current gen and selling.  But some when Bitmain did price drops got stuck with inventory higher then current price.

I would not promise normal mining being a few months on ROI.
Amph
Legendary

Activity: 3206
Merit: 1069

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 07:39:34 AM
Last edit: January 08, 2016, 07:36:47 AM by Amph

NOT 7.5c

I would agree on cheap being closer to 3C or so.  The big guys can chase this electricity price and build where ever they find it.  This is why they have a huge advantage.   Some gear even at halving at 3C chances are they still can run.

Us more "regular" user's would be 8-10 cents or so I think.  And above 10 get's tough unless your one  of those who say's they use it for heat in winter... then it get's a little more complex.

i know that big farm run on 5 cent not 3 cent, and i doubt they changed their place with their mega farm

maybe they can afford to upgrade their contract in some way?
samsonn25

Activity: 882
Merit: 1003

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 11:24:10 PM

NOT 7.5c

I would agree on cheap being closer to 3C or so.  The big guys can chase this electricity price and build where ever they find it.  This is why they have a huge advantage.   Some gear even at halving at 3C chances are they still can run.

Us more "regular" user's would be 8-10 cents or so I think.  And above 10 get's tough unless your one  of those who say's they use it for heat in winter... then it get's a little more complex.

Unless they own their own land or building (millions in capital expenditures, not including equipment)  including the maintenance and real estate taxes that would add .02 to .03 to whatever wholesale rate they are paying for electricity this is where the small guy doesnt have that over head, however the small guys cannot get .03-.-6 electricity rates.
notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 07, 2016, 11:29:40 PM

NOT 7.5c

Unless they own their own land or building (millions in capital expenditures, not including equipment)  including the maintenance and real estate taxes that would add .02 to .03 to whatever wholesale rate they are paying for electricity this is where the small guy doesnt have that over head, however the small guys cannot get .03-.-6 electricity rates.

Yes but these big guys can invest once in land/building and a lot of the setup.  Then they can re-use that and replace gear when needed.  So a lot of it is a one time investment.   

And on electricity they are getting some of the lowest there is out there.  They actually build with this in mind on most I believe and find cheap electricity before starting an operation.

And overhead get's paid of pretty quick with these mega mines.  Your not thinking of the scale they run.  We are not talking a few machines, were talking a ton.  So they are a huge amount of hash.
QuintLeo
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 07:09:02 AM

NOT 7.5c

i know that big farm run on 5 cent not 3 cent, and i doubt they changed their place with their mega farm

maybe they can afford to upgrade their contract in soem way?

No, they locate in places where electric is inherently cheap - like MegaBigPower in the Wenatchee area (normal electric rates of 3c/KWH or a little LESS even for small folks and residential).

Like real estate in general, it's all about location - but in this case it's all about locating where electric is VERY VERY cheap.

Real estate taxes aren't going to add a significant amount to their overhead if they own. A few thousand AT MOST to a farm running thousands of miners is a pittance.

notlist3d
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 08:10:36 PM

NOT 7.5c

maybe they can afford to upgrade their contract in soem way?

No, they locate in places where electric is inherently cheap - like MegaBigPower in the Wenatchee area (normal electric rates of 3c/KWH or a little LESS even for small folks and residential).

Like real estate in general, it's all about location - but in this case it's all about locating where electric is VERY VERY cheap.

Real estate taxes aren't going to add a significant amount to their overhead if they own. A few thousand AT MOST to a farm running thousands of miners is a pittance.

And it's due to the scale they mine at.  Even if they have a network engineer, someone to monitor miners 24x7, people to work on miners, etc.  It is very small compared to what they bring in.

And in some countries they go to like China you would be surprised I think on pay.    They are able to get people for not a ton of money.     
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: