Bitcoin Forum
May 08, 2024, 02:24:18 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Will the Armory come back if USA changes its weapon laws?  (Read 25183 times)
myrkul

Activity: 532
Merit: 500

FIAT LIBERTAS RVAT CAELVM

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 08:27:43 PM

I wonder if it would be possible to come up with a design for a gun assembled from (for example) laser-cut 1/8" steel or aluminum plate stacked and riveted.

That's basically an AK-47.  They are stamped out of sheet metal.  The only part which needs machining above the peasant-workshop level is the barrel.

This is also why AK-47's suck.  When running, they feel and sound like you are holding an old worn-out cake mixer that's about to fly apart in your hands.  Civilized gentlemen don't own them.

I mean avoiding any stamping or bending or anything that requires any level of skill other than fixing a bunch of rivets (nuts and bolts might even be an idea).

I even have an idea about the barrel. Forget round bullets, would shooting coin-type disks work if you could give them some spin?

There's a nerf gun that does that. Not sure how accurate it is, or how it would scale to anything capable of doing damage.

BTC1MYRkuLv4XPBa6bGnYAronz55grPAGcxja
Need Dispute resolution? Public Key ID: 0x11D341CF
No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Richy_T
Legendary

Activity: 2436
Merit: 2121

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 08:37:01 PM

There's a nerf gun that does that. Not sure how accurate it is, or how it would scale to anything capable of doing damage.

That's what I was thinking. I was actually 'inspired' by a Mythbusters where they fired a penny from a modified rifle. It's a square hole so could eliminate any need for rotary tooling if the disk could be given some spin. The point of rifling is stability of the bullet but how essential is it that the axis of spin be along direction of travel?

OTOH, those nerf guns tend to skew to one side so that may be an issue. Then does the ammo need to be caseless and what do you do about feeding? Probably a dead-end but I think I'll mull on it a while.

1RichyTrEwPYjZSeAYxeiFBNnKC9UjC5k
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 08:42:50 PM

OTOH, those nerf guns tend to skew to one side so that may be an issue. Then does the ammo need to be caseless and what do you do about feeding? Probably a dead-end but I think I'll mull on it a while.

Many moons ago, I had (probably still in my old room somewhere) a toy van decorated with popular cartoon characters. It shot little plastic disks, similarly decorated to look like their favorite food. It was gravity-fed, but as you say, did skew, and was loud as hell when operating (not necessarily firing, it propelled the disks by dropping them into a spinning wheel, and the motor was not silent.).

No person has the right to initiate force, threat of force, or fraud against another person or their property. VIM VI REPELLERE LICET
TECSHARE
In memoriam
Legendary

Activity: 3318
Merit: 1958

First Exclusion Ever

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 09:01:19 PM

I always thought it would be great to make a coin gun. You could fit quite a bit of ammo in a small space, and the action would be simple. You could get best accuracy if you were to launch the coin standing vertically spinning upwards when viewed from firing position. This would create a predictable variation created by the spin and counted by the eventual pull of gravity. You could compensate for any loss of accuracy created by the spin. If you were to spin the coin horizontally I would think it would tend to be effected by spin direction, but I could be wrong.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 09:14:31 PM

I always thought it would be great to make a coin gun. You could fit quite a bit of ammo in a small space, and the action would be simple. You could get best accuracy if you were to launch the coin standing vertically spinning upwards when viewed from firing position. This would create a predictable variation created by the spin and counted by the eventual pull of gravity. You could compensate for any loss of accuracy created by the spin. If you were to spin the coin horizontally I would think it would tend to be effected by spin direction, but I could be wrong.

No, that's 100% accurate. The spin in these sorts of weapons tend to skew the trajectory. If you were to spin it vertically, though, that would fix that. Spin it so that it provides lift, and gravity would counteract it. I wonder how well that would work.

Freja

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 19, 2012, 10:41:07 PM

It doesn't matter if guns are totally banned tomorrow in the USA - there are enough floating about already, to last the crooks, lunatics and fanatics another century. It becomes an evil spiral because nobody wants to be caught out without a gun if they think there's a genuine risk they might be attacked with one.  It's just fortunate for us in Europe that there is the Atlantic to protect us (although there are plenty of Americans with guns at the military bases scattered across Europe).
But just look at Mexico to see how things could end up!
I think the whole gun thing is cultural in the USA.
myrkul

View Profile WWW
December 19, 2012, 10:48:51 PM

Mexico has 15 guns per 100 citizens.
The US has 88.

Yes, you're right, Mexico is definitely a situation to avoid.

Freja

Activity: 14
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 10:43:09 AM

Mexico has 15 guns per 100 citizens.
The US has 88.

Yes, you're right, Mexico is definitely a situation to avoid.

It's a country that is under the thumb of the USA. They are not allowed to develop in a way that's good for them. Right now, the fastest way in this oppressed country to get rich, is to smuggle drugs to the USA. And apparently guns are smuggled back the opposite way.
Obviously the guns that the cartels have are not legally held in most cases.
Mexico is truly the dirty side of the "shiny" coin of the USA, stuck in a VERY unhealthy symbiosis with the USA. Gun laws are certainly not at the root of the problem with violence there.

thebaron

Activity: 434
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 10:49:11 AM

If they change the laws drastically enough to create mandatory non-grandfathered registries that would spawn a giant online black market trade, then you better bet they're going to get strict about shipments appearing to be guns. Unfortunately, UPS already goes apeshit when I bring them a package.
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 02:17:50 PM

Exactly.  Civilized gentlemen don't live in mud and sand.  

What planet are you from again?  The most common element in the Earth's crust is silicon.  It is dirt and water that enables us to live.

We have cool stuff like concrete, plumbing, houses, petroleum refineries, refrigeration, and teamwork.  

Don't forget drone strikes, endemic mental illness, and hypocritical pretending to be upset about death in between US army adverts. 

Ah yes, beautiful concrete.  So civilized compared to something like dirt in which wheat and hops or cannabis could grow.   

Charlie Prime

Activity: 406
Merit: 250

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 02:43:28 PM

What planet are you from again?  The most common element in the Earth's crust is silicon.  It is dirt and water that enables us to live.

We have cool stuff like concrete, plumbing, houses, petroleum refineries, refrigeration, and teamwork.  

Don't forget drone strikes, endemic mental illness, and hypocritical pretending to be upset about death in between US army adverts. 

Ah yes, beautiful concrete.  So civilized compared to something like dirt in which wheat and hops or cannabis could grow.

Ha!  Yeah, because all social ills are caused by technology, and life would be sooooo much better if we all moved to the woods and shat in holes.  We could smoke so much dope that the constant search to replace rotting food, the starvation, hypothermia, dehydration, envenomation, animal attacks, festering injuries, and illness would be virtually unnoticeable.

Ever notice the only people who advocate living that way are rich white kids who never HAD TO?   It's so pathetic is really not even funny.

A better use for your straw would be making bales instead of strawmen.  Oh wait!  That's technology.  Nevermind.

Ambit    ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  █████
██
████████████
Become part of the mining family
✔ SECURED  │ WHITEPAPER │  ★ 171% ROI
██   
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
██  ██
█████  ██
██
████████████
hashman
Legendary

Activity: 1264
Merit: 1008

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 06:55:22 PM

Ha!  Yeah, because all social ills are caused by technology, and life would be sooooo much better if we all moved to the woods and shat in holes.  We could smoke so much dope that the constant search to replace rotting food, the starvation, hypothermia, dehydration, envenomation, animal attacks, festering injuries, and illness would be virtually unnoticeable.

Ever notice the only people who advocate living that way are rich white kids who never HAD TO?   It's so pathetic is really not even funny.

A better use for your straw would be making bales instead of strawmen.  Oh wait!  That's technology.  Nevermind.

Wait what did I miss?  Advocate living what way exactly?  On the Earth? 
Bitware

Activity: 926
Merit: 1001

weaving spiders come not here

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 01:18:20 PM

improved 3d printing of an AR-15 lower in action:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFhIxey5AXM

Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: