Bitcoin Forum
May 09, 2024, 09:18:40 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: [BREAKING] Quantum Computer Hits. BFL, bASIC etc all dead. End of BTC?  (Read 4614 times)
MPOE-PR (OP)

Activity: 756
Merit: 522

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 03:45:54 PM

Integrated quantum computer system with 128 qubit chipset AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER NOW. Deliveries slated to begin early January. No concerns of Chinese New Year.

Link: http://www.dwavesys.com/en/dw_homepage.html

Sorry everyone. The jig, it is up.

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Whoever mines the block which ends up containing your transaction will get its fee.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
SlickTheNick

Activity: 220
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 03:50:26 PM

Is this legit? I thought we were years away from being able to build an actual quantum computer?

Looking for a way to get some bitcoins for free? Check out http://earnfreebitcoins.com !
Get easy bitcoins at  https://coincontroller.com?r=eaef398b5 !
mcgravier

Activity: 83
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 03:56:03 PM

If this is legit, we need to switch encryption to SHA-3 But it seems very unlikely for this to be true.
Remember remember the 5th of November
Legendary

Activity: 1862
Merit: 1011

Reverse engineer from time to time

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 03:59:26 PM

It likely costs more money than any of us have. Also, it could very well be a scam of some sorts.

BTC:1AiCRMxgf1ptVQwx6hDuKMu4f7F27QmJC2
mccorvic

Activity: 518
Merit: 500

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 04:01:04 PM

BREAKING NEWS: I have a bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
jasinlee

Activity: 742

Its as easy as 0, 1, 1, 2, 3

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 04:03:14 PM

Does it have a massive mpex troll under it?

BTC 1JASiNZxmAN1WBS4dmGEDoPpzN3GV7dnjX DVC 1CxxZzqcy7YEVXfCn5KvgRxjeWvPpniK3                     Earn Devcoins Devtome.com
jcpham

Activity: 165

Your Argument is Irrelephant

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 04:03:23 PM

How much is this bridge of yours and do you accept tenebrix?
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 04:06:47 PM

Does it hash?

My Credentials  | THE BTC Stock Exchange | I have my very own anthology! | Use bitcointa.lk, it's like this one but better.
mccorvic

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 04:07:04 PM

Does it have a massive mpex troll under it?

It has a wide variety of trolls under, above, on, and next to the bridge.

It cost 5trillion BTC.

But seriously, I know of scientists who have reportedly been duped by "perpetual motion" machines so I'm not surprised that they could find a few that would claim that this is REALLY FOR SURE quantum anything.  When the vast majority of researchers state that even the simplest form of quantum computing is decades away I'm going to be highly skeptical to the utmost degree.

Offering Video/Audio Editing Services since 2011 - https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=77932.0
wormbog

Activity: 561

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 04:11:01 PM

According to the site,

"Our current superconducting 128-qubit processor chip is housed inside a cryogenics system within a 10 square meter shielded room."

I'm going to cancel my Jalapeno order and start ordering parts for the cryogenic cooling system right away...
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 04:13:26 PM

When the vast majority of researchers state that even the simplest form of quantum computing is decades away I'm going to be highly skeptical to the utmost degree.

I do not appreciate your FUD and mud slinging at an obviously legitimate company which is actually registered, and made its actual logo itself (in MS Paint).

Where is this community headed when serious projects of serious companies with serious delivery dates and that can be preordered are mocked and abused by trolls such as yourself!

mccorvic

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 04:14:36 PM

I do not appreciate your FUD and mud slinging at an obviously legitimate company which is actually registered, and made its actual logo itself (in MS Paint).

Where is this community headed when serious projects of serious companies with serious delivery dates and that can be preordered are mocked and abused by trolls such as yourself!

I see what you did there Tongue

FULL DISCLOSURE: I don't have any ASIC on preorder

Mike Hearn
Legendary

Activity: 1526
Merit: 1129

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 04:22:29 PM

We have covered this topic many times before. Quantum computing is not a threat to Bitcoin in any reasonable timeframe. Does this need to be in the FAQ?

It's a 128-qubit machine. If you have to ask the price, that means you can't afford it (nor program it). It requires a specially built facility to house it.

From Proos and Zalka (2008):

http://arxiv.org/pdf/quantph/0301141.pdf

We show in some detail how to implement Shor’s efficient quantum algorithm for discrete logarithms for the particular case of elliptic curve groups. It turns out that for this problem a smaller quantum computer can solve problems further beyond current computing than for integer factorisation. A 160 bit elliptic curve cryptographic key could be broken on a quantum computer using around 1000 qubits while factoring the security-wise equivalent 1024 bit RSA modulus would require about 2000 qubits. In this paper we only consider elliptic curves over GF(p) and not yet the equally important ones over GF(2^n) or other finite fields. The main technical difficulty is to implement Euclid’s gcd algorithm to compute multiplicative inverses modulo p. As the runtime of Euclid’s algorithm depends on the input, one difficulty encountered is the “quantum halting problem”

Bitcoin uses the secp256k1 elliptic curve. This means 256-bit keys on a Koblitz curve. The p means prime field, GF(p).

The NSA informs us that a 256 bit elliptic curve key is equivalent to a 3072 bit RSA modulus. Therefore 1000 qubits is nowhere near close enough to solve even much weaker keys than the one Bitcoin uses, and the D-Wave machine provides only 128.

Even assuming quantum computers get much cheaper over time, you're not going to have a cryogenically cooled room sized machine in your house any time soon. And even if one day this becomes possible, there are several mitigating factors:

• Money sent to a Bitcoin address that has never been used before cannot be stolen even with a fully-capable quantum computer because the address is hashed. So by using wallets that never re-use addresses this problem goes away.
  • Crypto schemes based on integer lattices are becoming more efficient every year, and are resistant to quantum computers (or at least, nobody yet discovered an equivalent to Shor's algorithm for them. We could switch to one of these schemes if necesary.
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 04:43:21 PM

We have covered this topic many times before.

I think you missed the gist of this discussion. Re-read is in order ty.

nebulus

Activity: 490

... it only gets better...

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 04:50:58 PM

We have covered this topic many times before.

I think you missed the gist of this discussion. Re-read is in order ty.

Said like a true newb...

greyhawk

Activity: 938
Merit: 1009

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 04:52:16 PM

Is this legit? I thought we were years away from being able to build an actual quantum computer?

Oh, they exist alright. They're even in use already.

http://blogs.nature.com/news/2012/08/d-wave-quantum-computer-solves-protein-folding-problem.html

Also they cost 10,000,000 $ per unit and are application specific, so.... yeah, you don't really want one.
DeathAndTaxes
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1218
Merit: 1079

Gerald Davis

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 04:57:58 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2012, 05:33:29 PM by DeathAndTaxes

I will leave this here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D-Wave_Systems#Criticism

Also as Mike points out even if true and even if it could be used to cost effectively break x bit ECDSA keypairs, 128 qubits is insufficient by at least 2 orders of magnitude to break a 256bit ECDSA keypair.   The estimate for researchers (in paper above) is ~6 logical qubits per bit in the keysize of ECDSA.   So 6*256 = 1500 qubits.   Note this is logical qubits.  With only a single physical qubit per logic qubit the amount of error and noise would simply make any results worthless.  A ballpark figure is 12 to 20 physical qubits (to perform error code correction algorithms) per logical qubit is estimated.   So to break 256bit ECDS would require in the ballpark of a single 24,000 physical qubits computer.   A 128 qubit computer could break 2 to 3 bit ECDSA keys.  Then again I could break them with a notepad and a good pencil a lot faster.

If/when massive QC start being built a "simple" interim step would be to make a new address type which uses a larger ECDSA curve.  It would require a hard fork but would remain backwards compatible with existing addresses.  Create a new address standard, give it a new version (first digit of address) and use a 384bit (or even 512bit) ECDSA keypair.    Once the network transistions over users could send funds to these "high security version 2" addresses.

The cost to increase the key size is much smaller than the cost to build increasingly larger QC.  It also has the added bonus that larger QC may simply not be possible (with current tech).  So hypothetically someday it may be possible to break 256bit at high cost but completely impossible to break 384bit one at any cost.  Unlike classical computing you can't combine multiple smaller qubit QC to gain a higher computing power.  They aren't parallel like that.
BurtW
Legendary

Activity: 2646
Merit: 1136

All paid signature campaigns should be banned.

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 05:51:33 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2012, 06:16:10 PM by BurtW

Dang, I wish I had read the above response before I panicked and dumped all my BTC because MPOE-PR told me Bitcoin was broken.

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 07:39:50 PM

I will leave this here:

Also as Mike points out even if true and even if it could be used to cost effectively break x bit ECDSA keypairs, 128 qubits is insufficient by at least 2 orders of magnitude to break a 256bit ECDSA keypair.   The estimate for researchers (in paper above) is ~6 logical qubits per bit in the keysize of ECDSA.   So 6*256 = 1500 qubits.   Note this is logical qubits.  With only a single physical qubit per logic qubit the amount of error and noise would simply make any results worthless.  A ballpark figure is 12 to 20 physical qubits (to perform error code correction algorithms) per logical qubit is estimated.   So to break 256bit ECDS would require in the ballpark of a single 24,000 physical qubits computer.   A 128 qubit computer could break 2 to 3 bit ECDSA keys.  Then again I could break them with a notepad and a good pencil a lot faster.

If/when massive QC start being built a "simple" interim step would be to make a new address type which uses a larger ECDSA curve.  It would require a hard fork but would remain backwards compatible with existing addresses.  Create a new address standard, give it a new version (first digit of address) and use a 384bit (or even 512bit) ECDSA keypair.    Once the network transistions over users could send funds to these "high security version 2" addresses.

The cost to increase the key size is much smaller than the cost to build increasingly larger QC.  It also has the added bonus that larger QC may simply not be possible (with current tech).  So hypothetically someday it may be possible to break 256bit at high cost but completely impossible to break 384bit one at any cost.  Unlike classical computing you can't combine multiple smaller qubit QC to gain a higher computing power.  They aren't parallel like that.

Should I be quoting Inaba to you just about now?

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 07:52:02 PM

MPOE-PR, if you reall believe that this is a true threat, then you should also believe that the exchange value of your bitcoins is going to tank soon.  I, however, don't believe that is a near term risk.  So I willing to offer you $5 per bitcoin, for each and every bitcoin your have.  I'd be willing to take out a bank loan just to be able to do so.  Let me know when you're ready.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
ElectricMucus
Legendary

Activity: 1666
Merit: 1057

Marketing manager - GO MP

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 08:22:34 PM
Last edit: December 20, 2012, 08:37:09 PM by ElectricMucus

I will leave this here:

Vesuvius

In early 2012, D-Wave Systems revealed a 512-qubit code named Vesuvius,[21] which it expects to launch before the end of 2012.[22]

If that is true they seem to exceed Moore's Law. But even if they are not given any exponential increase 24000 qubit aren't that far away.

To emphasise this: According to your own estimation a 512bit ecdsa would require 48000 qubits.
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 08:32:01 PM

MPOE-PR, if you reall believe that this is a true threat, then you should also believe that the exchange value of your bitcoins is going to tank soon.  I, however, don't believe that is a near term risk.  So I willing to offer you $5 per bitcoin, for each and every bitcoin your have.  I'd be willing to take out a bank loan just to be able to do so.  Let me know when you're ready.

Nothing but naysayers on this forum. Why all the negativity?

PREORDER NOW

(Good pick on Ron Paul 2012 btw. I trust that wasn't another bank loan?)

MoonShadow
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1007

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 08:52:26 PM

Nothing but naysayers on this forum. Why all the negativity?

I'm not knocking your position, I just don't agree, and believe that I stand to profit if I'm correct.  Conversely, you stand to profit if I'm incorrect; as you'd sell higher than zero

(Good pick on Ron Paul 2012 btw. I trust that wasn't another bank loan?)

I knew years ago that Ron Paul would not be president.  That has zero bearing on who I vote for, however.

"The powers of financial capitalism had another far-reaching aim, nothing less than to create a world system of financial control in private hands able to dominate the political system of each country and the economy of the world as a whole. This system was to be controlled in a feudalist fashion by the central banks of the world acting in concert, by secret agreements arrived at in frequent meetings and conferences. The apex of the systems was to be the Bank for International Settlements in Basel, Switzerland, a private bank owned and controlled by the world's central banks which were themselves private corporations. Each central bank...sought to dominate its government by its ability to control Treasury loans, to manipulate foreign exchanges, to influence the level of economic activity in the country, and to influence cooperative politicians by subsequent economic rewards in the business world."

- Carroll Quigley, CFR member, mentor to Bill Clinton, from 'Tragedy And Hope'
fghj

Activity: 65
Merit: 10

View Profile
December 20, 2012, 09:00:35 PM

They do things that this kitten wants https://dwave.wordpress.com/2011/11/25/quantum-computing-and-light-switches/
It doesn't look like breaking ECDSA or SHA-256.
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 20, 2012, 09:14:33 PM

They do things that this kitten wants https://dwave.wordpress.com/2011/11/25/quantum-computing-and-light-switches/
It doesn't look like breaking ECDSA or SHA-256.
The point here is: NP-Complete problems aren't inherently different when it comes to their difficulty in solving them.
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 10:46:46 AM

I am sorry to announce that there have been some fabrication delays at the secret fabrication plant which does exist and deliveries will be happening no earlier than February 31st. For more details see here.

PS. To all the trolls that posted here making false claims: I'm not answering to you because you are not real customers.

Beans

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 12:59:53 AM

I will leave this here:

Vesuvius

In early 2012, D-Wave Systems revealed a 512-qubit code named Vesuvius,[21] which it expects to launch before the end of 2012.[22]

If that is true they seem to exceed Moore's Law. But even if they are not given any exponential increase 24000 qubit aren't that far away.

To emphasise this: According to your own estimation a 512bit ecdsa would require 48000 qubits.

Moore's Law is just some guys guess, it has nothing to do with fact. It has already been proven to be wrong anyway. There is no way to chart computational growth for the future.
Third Way

Activity: 238

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 02:26:11 AM

Does it hash?

You bet I hash, ehehehehe

blease resbond -> 1BYJKxpntNn6TZbM5M5CWkEb8vr8vDcBrr
smoothie
Legendary

Activity: 2492
Merit: 1473

LEALANA Bitcoin Grim Reaper

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 08:05:47 AM

Dang, I wish I had read the above response before I panicked and dumped all my BTC because MPOE-PR told me Bitcoin was broken.

What ever happened to that 10,000 BTC you left with Pirate because you believed he would pay? LOL  Grin

███████████████████████████████████████

,╓p@@███████@╗╖,           
        ,p████████████████████N,       
      d█████████████████████████b     
    d██████████████████████████████æ   
  ,████²█████████████████████████████, 
 ,█████  ╙████████████████████╨  █████y
 ██████    `████████████████`    ██████
║██████       Ñ███████████`      ███████
███████         ╩██████Ñ         ███████
███████    ▐▄     ²██╩     a▌    ███████
╢██████    ▐▓█▄          ▄█▓▌    ███████
 ██████    ▐▓▓▓▓▌,     ▄█▓▓▓▌    ██████─
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓█,,▄▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
           ▐▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▌          
    ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓─  
     ²▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓╩    
        ▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀       
           ²▀▀▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▀▀`          
                   ²²²                 
███████████████████████████████████████

. ★☆ WWW.LEALANA.COM        My PGP fingerprint is A764D833.                  History of Monero development Visualization ★☆ .
LEALANA BITCOIN GRIM REAPER SILVER COINS.

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
December 30, 2012, 09:24:14 AM

What ever happened to that 10,000 BTC you left with Pirate because you believed he would pay? LOL  Grin
I lost it.  Any other stupid questions?

Our family was terrorized by Homeland Security.  Read all about it here:  http://www.jmwagner.com/ and http://www.burtw.com/  Any donations to help us recover from the $300,000 in legal fees and forced donations to the Federal Asset Forfeiture slush fund are greatly appreciated!
greyhawk

View Profile
December 30, 2012, 09:35:40 AM

Maybe he'll pay them back?
jcpham

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 05:23:53 PM

troll, troll, troll your boat...

hi burtw!
hi MPOE-PR (why do you type so many words, my kitchen doesn't have forums)
hi smoothie!

...actually there are some smart people "threading it up" here.
ImNotHerb

Activity: 37
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 09:47:12 PM

Integrated quantum computer system with 128 qubit chipset AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER NOW. Deliveries slated to begin early January. No concerns of Chinese New Year.

Quantum computers are one of those technologies like fusion power that is perpetually "only 10 or 20 years away". I would bet every BTC I have that this is a scam to cash in on the hype surrounding quantum computers as opposed to whatever is inside their "shielded black box" is capable of doing. A good tell is that they're searching for "investors" (rubes) rather than publishing in physics journals.
greyhawk

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 09:55:08 PM

Quantum computers are one of those technologies like fusion power that is perpetually "only 10 or 20 years away". I would bet every BTC I have that this is a scam to cash in on the hype surrounding quantum computers as opposed to whatever is inside their "shielded black box" is capable of doing. A good tell is that they're searching for "investors" (rubes) rather than publishing in physics journals.

Uhuh.... "Nature" not good enough now?

http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/120813/srep00571/full/srep00571.html

This was done using your supposed "scam" machine.
wachtwoord
Legendary

Activity: 2324
Merit: 1125

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 10:04:48 PM

Cool thanks for sharing!
Phinnaeus Gage
Legendary

Activity: 1918
Merit: 1570

Bitcoin: An Idea Worth Spending

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2013, 10:08:52 PM

Uhuh.... "Nature" not good enough now?

http://www.nature.com/srep/2012/120813/srep00571/full/srep00571.html

This was done using your supposed "scam" machine.

And to think I had you pegged as a light reader. My bad!

FWIW, the site has some cool images:

greyhawk

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 10:10:33 PM

And to think I had you pegged as a light reader. My bad!

I am. Tried it once without light. Didn't work out all that well.
ImNotHerb

Activity: 37

View Profile
January 02, 2013, 10:12:48 PM

An impressive sounding link whose details leave much to be desired:

"Even though the quantum device follows a quantum annealing protocol, the odds of measuring the ground state are not necessarily high. For example, in the 81 qubit experiment, only 13 out of 10,000 measurements yielded the desired solution."
"...the cases presented here still can be solved on a classical computer by exact enumeration (the six-amino-acid problem has only 40 possible configurations)..."
MPOE-PR (OP)

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 08:39:30 AM

hi burtw!
hi smoothie!

Urmom called. Wants kitchen back.

Also, further breaking news: BFL will deliver ASICs no later than January, 2014.

jcpham

View Profile
January 03, 2013, 03:29:30 PM

hi burtw!
hi smoothie!

Urmom called. Wants kitchen back.

Also, further breaking news: BFL will deliver ASICs no later than January, 2014.

All we have to eat is potatoes! I'm starving and I'm so cold. Keep me warm.
HDSolar

Activity: 386
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 02:33:41 AM

Sweet another company I can pre-order with.  I wounder if they take PayPal  Grin

Get paid to be social and visit HypeWizard today!  www.hypewiz.com
AR-15 80% at www.uspatriotarmory.com
my Cryptanalys.is profile
ElectricMucus
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 07, 2013, 02:41:17 AM

Sweet another company I can pre-order with.  I wounder if they take PayPal  Grin

Well at least they demonstrated something with a prototype.

Btw: Anybody remember Steorn?
You know these irish overunity magnetic motor guys from 2006.  Grin
c4n10

Activity: 294

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 07:01:22 PM

It's going to be at least a few years before quantum computers are ready to compete with standard computers, the first quantum computers won't be able to do much more than work a single algorithm. Here's an interesting article that gives a rough idea of where quantum computers are at right now:

http://news.sciencemag.org/sciencenow/2012/12/new-form-of-quantum-computation-.html

Also, if you go to the page you linked and you click on their quantum computer to get more details, you can get a rough idea of the cost of this thing by sentences such as "Our current superconducting 128-qubit processor chip is housed inside a cryogenics system within a 10 square meter shielded room."

I really don't see this being a threat to bitcoin any time in the near future...
c4n10

Activity: 294

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 07:45:01 PM

Well at least they demonstrated something with a prototype.

Btw: Anybody remember Steorn?
You know these irish overunity magnetic motor guys from 2006.  Grin

LOL... Steorn...
MysteryMiner
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1029

Show middle finger to system and then destroy it!

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 09:07:27 PM

Integrated quantum computer system with 128 qubit chipset AVAILABLE FOR PREORDER NOW. Deliveries slated to begin early January.
Butterfly Labs scam taken to the next level! Time to preorder!

bc1q59y5jp2rrwgxuekc8kjk6s8k2es73uawprre4j
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
January 08, 2013, 09:20:31 PM

I LOL'd

It was done already: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eifel_Tower#Subsequent_events
    The con artist Victor Lustig "sold" the Eifel tower for scrap metal on two separate, but related occasions.
</offtopic>

BurtW
Legendary

View Profile WWW
January 09, 2013, 06:28:50 PM

Here is a twist.  From:

http://www.dailytech.com/Researchers+Change+the+Laws+of+Physics+With+SubAbsolute+Zero+Quantum+Gas/article29557.htm

SubAbsolute Zero Quantum devices might break Bitcoin!!!  Oh nooooooo.

Negative [absolute] temperature materials could be a boon to both theoretical particle physics and quantum computing.  But much work needs to be done to understand their bizarre new spin on physics.

ciphermonk

Activity: 50

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:02:41 PM

Just to clarify an important point: People are playing with words when they use "quantum" to describe their new chips. It's not that hard to build a processor using 128 atoms to perform useful calculations.

A "real" quantum computer requires every qubit in the system to be entangled with all of the other qubits. It is from this entanglement property that quantum computers experience a significant speed-up compared to classical computers. Without entanglement, you're left with a computer that plays in the same ball park as your ipad. Creating and maintaining this entanglement is highly unstable. Systems tend to break down very quickly as you add qubits. It is even debated whether entanglement is physically possible to maintain for any significant number of qubits.

To date, I believe we have only been able to factor 3x5=15 with 7 qubits and more recently 11x13=143 on 4 qubits. However, for the second result, it is debated whether entanglement actually occurred.

So don't worry about these silly claim Wink Hope this clarifies it a bit!

Edit: Okay it's pretty clear everyone thinks this is fake ! I'll leave my post for info
MysteryMiner
Legendary

View Profile
January 09, 2013, 07:45:21 PM

SubAbsolute Zero Quantum devices might break Bitcoin!!!  Oh nooooooo.
Or it can possibly take crypto to new level that was unachievable with classical digital computers. Like Bitcoin was enabled by fast network connections and CPUs making transaction processing a breeze instead of freeze.

Anyway we are possibly decades before quantum computers are fully functional. Meanwhile the biggest threat to Bitcoin are ZOG busting Bitcoin users and sending to SEMEN camps. No quantum computers needed for this to happen.

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: