Bitcoin Forum
May 03, 2024, 02:57:37 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Withdrawing your investments  (Read 1476 times)
witherworth (OP)

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 01:54:37 AM

Going forward, I'm looking to invest more heavily into BitCoins and their generation. My biggest concern is over their legality and transactions. As stated in the subject, my biggest concern is pulling out my full investment at some point. I believe in the bitcoin system, and will continue to spend BitCoins on goods where possible, however, for people I may borrow investment money from, they're less likely to accept the coins. My question would be on the best way to pull out large amounts of money without it looking fishy.

Additionally, how do the people making $50k+ a year from massive hashing farms  get their money? While the bitcoin community is growing, I'd personally be hard pressed to find $50k worth of goods I would want a year. So, part of that must be going back into USD. Is this money being reported as a taxable income? Are the transactions made to overseas bank accounts, and not linked to belonging to US citizens, or what?

I've given much thought to different ways of making these transactions, but I'm interested in what others are doing. Or ideas others would consider as the most legal way of doing business.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Stephen Gornick
Legendary

Activity: 2506
Merit: 1010

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 02:45:10 AM

My question would be on the best way to pull out large amounts of money without it looking fishy.

What type of money?   I'm going to assume you are referring to cash, ... fiat money.

One way is to use an exchange and then withdraw using a bank transfer (e.g., domestic or international wire).

Of course, for larger amounts most exchanges will require that you verify your identity.

If you prefer to have a check sent to you, many exchanges will do that.  FastCash4Bitcoins.com is one.

None of these would be "fishy", at least not as far as I can tell.

Here's a fairly comprehensive list of exchanges for cash-out.
 - http://en.bitcoin.it/wiki/Selling_bitcoins

Among the numerous options for cashing out is to sell coins in a local cash trade:
 - http://www.LocalBtcoins.com

Unichange.me

█
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █
            █

witherworth (OP)

Activity: 155
Merit: 100

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 02:52:40 AM

Yes, cash. The idea is that I'd like to convert tens of thousands of dollars to something others can spend. Isn't there some sort of reporting done if you used something like Dwolla to withdraw 5k or more to your bank? Is that a single transaction, or a certain amount of money over a period of time? Or am I totally off course here?

I'll look into the links you've provided, thanks!
odolvlobo
Legendary

Activity: 4298
Merit: 3214

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 03:00:18 AM

If by "pull out large amounts of money", you mean sell BTC for dollars, you can do that on Mtgox, the biggest exchange, without too much trouble. If by "looking fishy", you mean without triggering AML, I think you will find that increasingly difficult to do. Exchanging $50k worth of BTC over a year is probably under the AML thresholds, but don't quote me. IANAL

Join an anti-signature campaign: Click ignore on the members of signature campaigns.
PGP Fingerprint: 6B6BC26599EC24EF7E29A405EAF050539D0B2925 Signing address: 13GAVJo8YaAuenj6keiEykwxWUZ7jMoSLt
payb.tc

Activity: 812
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 03:08:16 AM

If by "pull out large amounts of money", you mean sell BTC for dollars, you can do that on Mtgox, the biggest exchange, without too much trouble. If by "looking fishy", you mean without triggering AML, I think you will find that increasingly difficult to do. Exchanging $50k worth of BTC over a year is probably under the AML thresholds, but don't quote me. IANAL

people would do well to assume that *nothing* is under mtgox's aml thresholds. even small accounts get frozen there.
might have luck somewhere else though.
Foxpup
Legendary

Activity: 4354
Merit: 3042

Vile Vixen and Miss Bitcointalk 2021-2023

View Profile
December 27, 2012, 08:36:44 AM

Why do you care if your exchange or your bank reports your transactions? You yourself will be reporting it on your tax return (all money you make from bitcoins is taxable income). And there's nothing illegal about Bitcoin itself, so as long you keep records of your transactions and pay your taxes, you've got nothing to worry about.

Will pretend to do unspeakable things (while actually eating a taco) for bitcoins: 1K6d1EviQKX3SVKjPYmJGyWBb1avbmCFM4
I am not on the scammers' paradise known as Telegram! Do not believe anyone claiming to be me off-forum without a signed message from the above address! Accept no excuses and make no exceptions!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: