Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 10:57:04 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: How to contact Mt. Gox?!! Money lost [so far]!!!  (Read 3573 times)
Veldy (OP)

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 09:53:51 PM

I did a little "weekend trading".  So, after cashing in my bitcoins I withdrew them as is normal.  Here is the odd thing.  I made a withdrawal of several hundred USD and it has not shown up yet in my account.  The transaction shows clearly on the site (Mt. Gox).  A day or two later [I don't recall which day at the moment], I traded a little bit more and withdrew a much smaller amount.  It appeared in my account first thing the next day [yesterday].  As of today, the larger and earlier withdrawal is still not in my account.

I sent an email to info at mtgox dot com (trying to be nice to them still) yesterday at ~8:00AM CDT.  No response as of today, so I resent this morning and indicated they were running a financial exchange working with real money and that I was owed a prompt explanation.  Still no response and no funds.  I could contact the business where the account is that the funds are destined for, but there is nothing they can do until it is transferred to them [which is instantaneous for the most part].  You all probably know what business I am referring to. 

Is there a better way to get hold of them?  I want to trust them, but if they aren't going to act like the institution they clearly are playing the role of, then they should not be allowed to do what they are doing.  I am sure I can dig in the depths of registration, various services and through hosting services to get concrete contact information [maybe for a fee if it comes to that], but does anybody have contact info?  I can't imagine that I am the first one that has had this issue.

BTW, I never type account numbers or bitcoin addresses; I always copy and paste and if I copy from a website, it gets pasted into an editor [to remove any HTML formatting that might exist] and copy and paste that.  I have made several transactions in both directions without difficulty in the past, so I imagine this is an inconvenient glitch.  However, their lack of response is irritating and VERY UNPROFESSIONAL and possibly illegal since they post no other contact information on their website.

Any help is appreciated.  Thank you.

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
There are several different types of Bitcoin clients. The most secure are full nodes like Bitcoin Core, which will follow the rules of the network no matter what miners do. Even if every miner decided to create 1000 bitcoins per block, full nodes would stick to the rules and reject those blocks.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
dingus

Activity: 126
Merit: 100

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 10:39:36 PM

Be patient. Bank wires take days to go through sometimes. (assuming you withdrew via bank wire).

ding·us/ˈdiNGgəs/
Noun: Used to refer to something whose name the speaker cannot remember, is unsure of, or is humorously or euphemistically omitting
Veldy (OP)

View Profile
June 07, 2011, 11:23:19 PM

Be patient. Bank wires take days to go through sometimes. (assuming you withdrew via bank wire).

No, I didn't use bank wire or AHC.  I suspect most people in the USA use something other than bank wire ... even better than CoinPal/CoinCard used to be without that troublesome Ebay owned PayPal involvement. Smiley

This is definitely an anomaly that needs to be at least addressed/responded to by Mt. Gox via the email I sent and in a timely manner since they are running a financial service [losing peoples' money if that is indeed what happened will take them down hard, but I am sure they will fix it if they would just communicate with me].  They even ask for feedback, questions, etc. on their website.  I don't mind waiting for it to land in the account that it should and then transfer to my bank account, but this particular case makes no sense.

I guess I will have to do some more unconventional digging to get a hold of better contact information lacking any better options at the moment.  If BTC Guild succeeds in building the exchange as planned then I suspect some interesting competition; especially if the exchange is open to more than just BTC Guild members.

If you have found my post helpful, please donate what you feel it is worth: 18vaZ4K62WiL6W2Qoj9AE1cerfCHRaUW4x
Veldy (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:27:55 AM

I'm going to assume you transfered to Dw? I'm in the same boat, initated a transfer Sunday afternoon which is yet to hit my account and an e-mail yesterday has gone unanswered. I'm sure MtGox is just a bit overwhelmed with volume/growning pains or something similar, and I'm sure that the missing transfers will show up soon.

In your case, they do say 1 to 3 days when you send the money, so expecting it the next day is perhaps too much.  I have received it on the same day before and two days later before.  Based on the times, I believe these are UTC (not positive; I can't find any time indicator on their site).  Three days has just expired for me; it is also longer than any other transaction from them to me with any account [I have used a few different methods over time as have most people].

I transferred on Sunday and it hit my account on Monday morning.  I am not sure what timezone they use, but here are the times of transactions to the same account:

06/04/11 16:50 - Posted
06/05/11 16:07 - Not Posted
06/07/11 02:19 - Posted <== This one only took perhaps 8 hours to show up.

I think that time period is a serious discrepancy.  It just seems to me that they probably have no idea the money was not sent until they are contacted ... and it appears they do not read and/or reply to their damn email!  It just so happens that the missing transaction is also the largest transaction.

kokojie
Legendary

Activity: 1806
Merit: 1003

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 12:30:43 AM

I heard it's being ran by one person. So it can be slow. They said they are hiring help.

btc: 15sFnThw58hiGHYXyUAasgfauifTEB1ZF6
Veldy (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 01:05:38 AM

I heard it's being ran by one person. So it can be slow. They said they are hiring help.

Where did you hear this and who said they were hiring help [meaning, I know you mean Mt.Gox is hiring help, but where did you hear or read this]?

All my general searching has not in these forums have resulted in other contact info, yet some people have mentioned back and forth between Mt. Gox to get paid.  I probably should search again for those conversations and PM the individuals.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:10:40 AM

Dwolla broke the ability to send funds using the API that MtGox was using before.

<casascius> MagicalTux: I have two withdrawals that haven't shown up at Dwolla, are there any known problems
<MagicalTux> casascius: yep, dwolla implemented dwolla grid, and it seems they broke sendMoney(), I'm talking with them right now

<Kuroshiro> MagicalTux: how's the dwolla situation/
<MagicalTux> Kuroshiro: dwolla created dwolla grid and it seems that their old api was broken in the process, will implement dwolla grid to be able to send funds

Veldy (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:25:58 AM

Dwolla broke the ability to send funds using the API that MtGox was using before.

<casascius> MagicalTux: I have two withdrawals that haven't shown up at Dwolla, are there any known problems
<MagicalTux> casascius: yep, dwolla implemented dwolla grid, and it seems they broke sendMoney(), I'm talking with them right now

<MagicalTux> Kuroshiro: dwolla created dwolla grid and it seems that their old api was broken in the process, will implement dwolla grid to be able to send funds

How does this explain transactions that have posted properly before and after the unposted transaction [meaning it didn't arrive at the destination account]?  There is no sign that they have implemented Dwolla Grid.

Maged
Legendary

Activity: 1204
Merit: 1015

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:30:46 AM

How does this explain transactions that have posted properly before and after the unposted transaction [meaning it didn't arrive at the destination account]?  There is no sign that they have implemented Dwolla Grid.
Most likely, he's doing them manually right now, and he doesn't want to go too far back to avoid double-paying people. Don't worry, if you emailed him, he'll get to it eventually.

ethwit

Activity: 7
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 02:50:01 AM

My transfer of Mt. Gox -> Dwolla of about US$ 40 was hung up for about 5 days.  I contacted Mt., Gox and got the process completed within 4-5 with apologies.
Thus - still a satisfied customer
casascius
Mike Caldwell
VIP
Legendary

Activity: 1386
Merit: 1136

The Casascius 1oz 10BTC Silver Round (w/ Gold B)

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 02:57:08 AM

I'm still waiting on the two transactions mentioned in the above IRC snippet.

Companies claiming they got hacked and lost your coins sounds like fraud so perfect it could be called fashionable.  I never believe them.  If I ever experience the misfortune of a real intrusion, I declare I have been honest about the way I have managed the keys in Casascius Coins.  I maintain no ability to recover or reproduce the keys, not even under limitless duress or total intrusion.  Remember that trusting strangers with your coins without any recourse is, as a matter of principle, not a best practice.  Don't keep coins online. Use paper or hardware wallets instead.
Veldy (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 03:05:53 AM

My transfer of Mt. Gox -> Dwolla of about US$ 40 was hung up for about 5 days.  I contacted Mt., Gox and got the process completed within 4-5 with apologies.
Thus - still a satisfied customer

With several hundred USD in limbo, I am not all that satisfied at the moment.  Having said that, this the only glitch to date, so I expect they will straighten it out post haste.   I did notice this and posted it in another thread where I found a large number of Dwolla users claiming they didn't get their funds [and Dwolla claiming Mt. Gox didn't send the funds].

Their volume is higher lately, but not as high as it has been or above what they have handled before.  My transaction on the 5th disappeared and looking at the data available, they had a MASSIVE drop in volume compared to days before and after, ~43K for the two days before, on the 5th, the volume was ~22K and then on the 6th and 7th ~54K.  Something happened on the 5th, precisely the day that my funds have gone missing!

I eyeballed the data from Bitcoin Charts for what it is worth.  June 5th, the day of my transaction, the volume bar for Mt. Gox is red with all others green.  Clearly something went wrong that day and they have gone dark as far as communication goes.

EDIT:  I shouldn't say clearly something went wrong .. volume could have been low, but the surrounding days over a five day period suggest that something may very well have gone wrong [technically I would assume].

AntiVigilante

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 04:19:51 AM

Talk to Magicaltux on the IRC.

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
Veldy (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:06:28 AM

Most likely, he's doing them manually right now, and he doesn't want to go too far back to avoid double-paying people. Don't worry, if you emailed him, he'll get to it eventually.

For his sake, I hope you are wrong.  For one, he couldn't possibly keep up.  Two, if that is true, Mt. Gox is going down; that is no way to be running a business that is moving the sums of money that it is.  I don't think the site will be allowed to remain open if true. 

jme621

Activity: 360
Merit: 250

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 05:12:16 AM

Talk to Magicaltux on the IRC.

link please, i have 3 missing and need answers
AntiVigilante

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 08:21:43 AM

No, I didn't use bank wire or AHC.  I suspect most people in the USA use something other than bank wire ... even better than CoinPal/CoinCard used to be without that troublesome Ebay owned PayPal involvement. Smiley

Why being coy?

This is definitely an anomaly that needs to be at least addressed/responded to by Mt. Gox via the email I sent and in a timely manner since they are running a financial service [losing peoples' money if that is indeed what happened will take them down hard, but I am sure they will fix it if they would just communicate with me].  They even ask for feedback, questions, etc. on their website.  I don't mind waiting for it to land in the account that it should and then transfer to my bank account, but this particular case makes no sense.

Coyness, highlighting...

I guess I will have to do some more unconventional digging to get a hold of better contact information lacking any better options at the moment.  If BTC Guild succeeds in building the exchange as planned then I suspect some interesting competition; especially if the exchange is open to more than just BTC Guild members.

And more highlighting... This thread smells.

Proposal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=11541.msg162881#msg162881
Inception: https://github.com/bitcoin/bitcoin/issues/296
Goal: http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=12536.0
Means: Code, donations, and brutal criticism. I've got a thick skin. 1Gc3xCHAzwvTDnyMW3evBBr5qNRDN3DRpq
Jack of Diamonds

Activity: 252
Merit: 251

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 09:35:44 AM

If a wire or payment takes 7+ working days then yes they fucked up.

Before that it's a completely acceptable timeframe and I wouldn't email them yet.

I've gotten payments ranging anywhere from 1 working day to 6 days, but it always arrived.

1f3gHNoBodYw1LLs3ndY0UanYB1tC0lnsBec4USeYoU9AREaCH34PBeGgAR67fx
Veldy (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 11:36:32 AM

I received this email today.  I don't know if it was due to them finally getting to my email(s) or seeing the the discussion in these forums.

These funds have been reprocessed and should be in your account shortly. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience.

Not in my account yet, but frankly I would expect that if they just reprocessed.

Veldy (OP)

View Profile
June 08, 2011, 11:42:48 AM

Why being coy?

Coyness, highlighting...

And more highlighting... This thread smells.

I snipped out my long quotes for brevity.

Coy?  Smells?

If I don't choose to to reveal exactly financial or account details to the public, that isn't coy.  Smells?  What smells is that something has happened to Mt. Gox lately that they aren't processing payments.  Many on June 5th as evidenced in another thread and shows in their volume for the day.  Apparently many payments were lost on June 3rd (Friday) by reports elsewhere in these forums.   Just search; that is what I did.  Also, you can see that I received email if you read the post before this one.

edd
Donator
Legendary

Activity: 1414
Merit: 1001

View Profile WWW
June 08, 2011, 11:44:02 AM

I received this email today.  I don't know if it was due to them finally getting to my email(s) or seeing the the discussion in these forums.

These funds have been reprocessed and should be in your account shortly. We apologize for the delay and appreciate your patience.

Not in my account yet, but frankly I would expect that if they just reprocessed.

So you got a response in less than 48 hours from your initial email? I'd say that's pretty good compared to most "professional" businesses.

Still around.
Pages: [1] 2 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: