Bitcoin Forum
April 23, 2024, 05:15:57 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: buying items through amazon for bitcoin  (Read 1109 times)
cxaxukluth (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 07:03:52 AM

i've got $150 of amazon gift credit available to purchase anything on the amazon website (excluding gift cards; amazon policy).

since i'm new to the trading game and have 0 rep, i'll go first.  i'm not really sure what people usually expect, but i suppose you'd wait until the item is received until sending the bitcoins my way.  we'll figure something out.

ideally, i'm only interested in dealing with established people.  PM me if you're interested.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
The grue lurks in the darkest places of the earth. Its favorite diet is adventurers, but its insatiable appetite is tempered by its fear of light. No grue has ever been seen by the light of day, and few have survived its fearsome jaws to tell the tale.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
koin
Legendary

Activity: 873
Merit: 1000

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 07:24:07 AM

since i'm new to the trading game and have 0 rep, i'll go first.  i'm not really sure what people usually expect, but i suppose you'd wait until the item is received until sending the bitcoins my way.  we'll figure something out.

since amazon gift ecards are purchased with moneypak, this has been sometimes a problem.

if you are willing to wait until the item is received, you are 100% at the mercy of the seller -- and you could get scammed that way.  there are plenty of escrow providers that can be used: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=108716

here's good information:

When you trade OTC you engage in a transaction with people you possibly know nothing about. You may send your BTC to the person, and never get anything back. Or you may send your $currency to the person expecting BTC, and get nothing in return. This is a highly undesirable outcome for you, and you should do your best to guard against that.
  http://wiki.bitcoin-otc.com/wiki/Using_bitcoin-otc#Risk_of_fraud
TheButterZone
Legendary

Activity: 3052
Merit: 1031

RIP Mommy

View Profile WWW
December 21, 2012, 09:32:04 AM

Lots of us are already trying to do proxy sales like this. It's hard as hell. Better off waiting for a WTB [something on Amazon that can actually be bought with gift credit] and pouncing on it.

Saying that you don't trust someone because of their behavior is completely valid.
cxaxukluth (OP)

Activity: 8
Merit: 0

View Profile
December 21, 2012, 04:23:41 PM

since amazon gift ecards are purchased with moneypak, this has been sometimes a problem.

if you are willing to wait until the item is received, you are 100% at the mercy of the seller -- and you could get scammed that way.  there are plenty of escrow providers that can be used: https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=108716

here's good information:

When you trade OTC you engage in a transaction with people you possibly know nothing about. You may send your BTC to the person, and never get anything back. Or you may send your $currency to the person expecting BTC, and get nothing in return. This is a highly undesirable outcome for you, and you should do your best to guard against that.
  http://wiki.bitcoin-otc.com/wiki/Using_bitcoin-otc#Risk_of_fraud

thanks.  i had the thought of using an intermediary for the purpose of the buyer concealing their address from me, but i didn't think about using one as true escrow.

Lots of us are already trying to do proxy sales like this. It's hard as hell. Better off waiting for a WTB [something on Amazon that can actually be bought with gift credit] and pouncing on it.

roger.  will do.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: