Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 09:14:55 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »
  Print  
Author Topic: DECENTRALIZED crypto currency (including Bitcoin) is a delusion (any solutions?)  (Read 91075 times)
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

Activity: 2142
Merit: 1009

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 07:40:55 PM

8. Conclusion

Tendermint is awesome. The future is now.

Incorrect! Tendermint is flawed and is a divergent non-consensus design that will crash and burn in the real world.

There are a lot of things that can work in the real world but not in the ideal one. For example, Ripple.
Bitcoin mining is now a specialized and very risky industry, just like gold mining. Amateur miners are unlikely to make much money, and may even lose money. Bitcoin is much more than just mining, though!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
TPTB_need_war (OP)

Activity: 420
Merit: 257

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 07:51:55 PM

Added the following to the post on the first page of this thread that enumerates the flaws of PoS (proof-of-stake).

Even smooth had mentioned (in my vaporcoin thread) that PoS devolves to effectively PoW in order to defeat the nothing-at-stake flaw.

Following is written by David Mazières a PhD professor at Stanford who is the Chief Scientist at Stellar.

An alternative to proof of work is proof of stake [King and Nadal 2012], in which
consensus depends on parties that have posted collateral. Like proof of work, rewards
encourage rational participants to obey the protocol; some designs additionally penal-
ize bad behavior [Buterin 2014; Davarpanah et al. 2015]. Proof of stake opens the pos-
sibility of so-called “nothing at stake” attacks, in which parties that previously posted
collateral but later cashed it in and spent the money can go back and rewrite history
from a point where they still had stake. To mitigate such attacks, systems effectively
combine proof of stake with proof of work—scaling down the required work in pro-
portion to stake—or delay refunding collateral long enough for some other (sometimes
informal) consensus mechanism to establish an irreversible checkpoint.

TPTB_need_war (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 08:00:06 PM

8. Conclusion

Tendermint is awesome. The future is now.

Incorrect! Tendermint is flawed and is a divergent non-consensus design that will crash and burn in the real world.

There are a lot of things that can work in the real world but not in the ideal one. For example, Ripple.

Following is written by David Mazières a PhD professor at Stanford who is the Chief Scientist at Stellar:

Still another approach to consensus is Byzantine agreement [Pease et al. 1980; Lam-
port et al. 1982], the best known variant of which is PBFT [Castro and Liskov 1999].
Byzantine agreement ensures consensus despite arbitrary (including non-rational) be-
havior on the part of some fraction of participants. This approach has two appealing
properties. First, consensus can be fast and efficient. Second, trust is entirely decou-
pled from resource ownership, which makes it possible for a small non-profit to help
keep more powerful organizations, such as banks or CAs, honest. Complicating mat-
ters, however, all parties must agree on the the exact list of participants. Moreover,
attackers must be prevented from joining multiple times and exceeding the system’s
failure tolerance, a so-called Sybil attack [Douceur 2002]. BFT-CUP [Alchieri et al.
2008] accommodates unknown participants, but still presupposes a Sybil-proof cen-
tralized admission-control mechanism.
Generally, membership in Byzantine agreement systems is set by a central authority
or closed negotiation. Prior attempts to decentralize admission have given up some of
the benefits. One approach, taken by Ripple, is to publish a “starter” membership list
that participants can edit for themselves, hoping people’s edits are either inconsequen-
tial or reproduced by an overwhelming fraction of participants. Unfortunately, because
divergent lists invalidate safety guarantees [Schwartz et al. 2014], users are reluctant
to edit the list in practice and a great deal of power ends up concentrated in the main-
tainer of the starter list
[i.e. centralized!]. Another approach, taken by Tendermint [Kwon 2014], is to
base membership on proof of stake. However, doing so once again ties trust to resource
ownership.

Again I maintain the Iota/DAG will only remain convergent with a centralization to enforce the trust math model. Btw, I will soon argue the same about Stellar as well.  Wink

monsterer
Legendary

Activity: 1008
Merit: 1000

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 08:39:29 PM

Arguably, ripple only works because ripple labs own the 5 validating nodes which control the network.

https://validators.ripple.com/#/validators
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 08:42:07 PM

Again I maintain the Iota/DAG will only remain convergent with a centralization to enforce the trust math model.

It's hard to (dis)agree with this because your definition of "centralization" is not clear.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 08:42:47 PM

Arguably, ripple only works because ripple labs own the 5 validating nodes which control the network.

https://validators.ripple.com/#/validators

Aye, this is what I have meant.
TPTB_need_war (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:00:23 PM
Last edit: February 06, 2016, 06:58:17 PM by TPTB_need_war

Again I maintain the Iota/DAG will only remain convergent with a centralization to enforce the trust math model.

It's hard to (dis)agree with this because your definition of "centralization" is not clear.

I was very clear upthread. I said you would need centralized control sufficient to enforce the math models that payers and acceptance of transactions conform to.

Please I don't want to rehash the upthread discussion. We don't need to repeat ourselves again.

AltcoinUK, the problem is that most readers do not understand the CAP theorem conceptualization of consensus problem nor will most users understand that Iota is based on a mathematical model that has to be enforced on all payers on their choices of which branch to attach their txns and on recipients in terms of what recipients compute is a probabilistically confirmed txn. If the Monte Carlo math can be enforced then consensus should converge, but there is no way to force decentralized actors to follow one math model when the system can't enforce it without centralization. Thus I stated Iota/DAG only converges if the system centralizes. As opposed to Satoshi's PoW which always converges because of the longest chain rule.

So it is extremely difficult to take an aggressive position when most readers won't even comprehend. Why is a speculator going to trust my assessment when they can't understand or don't have the attention span to digest my 33 page thread on Decentralization. Also I haven't written a white paper yet, so all that is not well formalized.

monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:03:01 PM

Again I maintain the Iota/DAG will only remain convergent with a centralization to enforce the trust math model. Btw, I will soon argue the same about Stellar as well.  Wink

I'm not sure Iota has a trust based model; transactions have PoW and the tangle is probabilistically ordered by PoW, there is no inherent stake-for-trust model?
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:04:11 PM

Please I don't want to rehash the upthread discussion. We don't need to repeat ourselves again.

You expect people to read prior 33 pages? Hm, so you write all these texts just for the sake of writing? Ok.
TPTB_need_war (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:10:36 PM

You expect people to read prior 33 pages? Hm, so you write all these texts just for the sake of writing? Ok.

Adding more pages of repeating the prior pages just adds more pages to 33 burying also the repetition in more repetition (is 1000 pages your goal to mimic the Monero Speculation thread), thus you've made no point.

Please only post to add new information/refutation to this thread.

You've now succeeding in burying my important post (made less than an hour ago) upthread about Tendermint's flaws (my new research).

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:15:27 PM

Add more pages of repeating the prior pages just adds more pages, thus you've made no point.

My point is that you use "I don't want to repeat" too often. Now it looks as a trick to evade criticism. I think we all should wait until you post everything that comes to your mind. Post "Dixi" after that and lock the thread.
TPTB_need_war (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:16:40 PM

Adding more pages of repeating the prior pages just adds more pages to 33 burying also the repetition in more repetition (is 1000 pages your goal to mimic the Monero Speculation thread), thus you've made no point.

My point is that you use "I don't want to repeat" too often. Now it looks as a trick to evade criticism. I think we all should wait until you post everything that comes to your mind. Post "Dixi" after that and lock the thread.

Reply was posted before you posted:

Please only post to add new information/refutation to this thread.

You've now succeeding in burying my important post (made less than an hour ago) upthread about Tendermint's flaws (my new research).

Appears you are trying to bury the facts about Iota by spamming the thread.

I've warned you don't give me motivation to go on the offensive, because I can attack Iota in every thread. I haven't done that out of respect for you (and I have absolutely 0 fear of your partner's legal threats against me...rather I said I respected the attempt and the technical effort put into Iota, but that doesn't change the facts about it). Please be cordial and respect the desire to keep this thread S/N high.

It may be the case that no crypto currency can be decentralized. Keep that in mind.

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:23:55 PM

Appears you are trying to bury the facts about Iota by spamming the thread.

No.

I've warned you don't give me motivation to go on the offensive, because I can attack Iota in every thread. I haven't done that out of respect for you (and I have absolutely 0 fear of your partner's legal threats against me...rather I said I respected the attempt and the technical effort put into Iota, but that doesn't change the facts about it). Please be cordial and respect the desire to keep this thread S/N high.

It may be the case that no crypto currency can be decentralized. Keep that in mind.

Lack of criticism about Iota makes me feel uncomfortable, you would do me a favor by "attack[ing] Iota in every thread".
TPTB_need_war (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:25:06 PM

Lack of criticism about Iota makes me feel uncomfortable, you would do me a favor by "attack[ing] Iota in every thread".

The criticism is in this thread.

Why are you spamming the thread! Fuck! Will you please stop this offtopic noise?

Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:26:03 PM

...and I have absolutely 0 fear of your partner's legal threats against me...

I'll let him know that, so he won't waste his time on you.
Come-from-Beyond
Legendary

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:28:13 PM

Why are you spamming the thread! Fuck! Will you please stop this offtopic noise?

I don't spam, I'm giving hints trying to keep your posts civilized. Your "I refuse to repeat" went too far.
TPTB_need_war (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 09:51:10 PM
Last edit: February 05, 2016, 10:04:51 AM by TPTB_need_war

Now moving on to analyze Stellar as promised in my prior post (before the noise from CfB):

Following is written by David Mazières a PhD professor at Stanford who is the Chief Scientist at Stellar:

Stellar's SCP consensus algorithm is a complex propagation algorithm (i.e. not a LCR) design to achieve certain properties of Byzantine fault tolerance. This design clearly originates from David Mazières work on the decentralized Kademlia DHT[1].

Although it claims to guarantee "safety" (i.e. will not diverge and it is the first decentralized propagation design that I've seen which can make that guarantee), but it can't guarantee that convergence will ever be obtained and this is due to Sybil attacks on the honest nodes (again we expect this because it consumes no resource as PoW for LCR does). David explains this fact as follows:

SCP can suffer perpetual preemption as discussed in Section 6.3. An open question is
whether, without randomness, a different protocol could guarantee termination assum-
ing bounded communication latency but tolerating Byzantine nodes that continuously
to inject bad messages at exactly the point where timeouts fire. Such a protocol is not
ruled out by the FLP impossibility result [Fischer et al. 1985]. However, the two main
techniques to guarantee termination assuming synchrony do not directly apply in the
FBA model: PBFT [Castro and Liskov 1999] chooses a leader in round-robin fashion,
which is not directly applicable when nodes do not agree on membership. (Possibly
something along the lines of priority in Section 6.1 could be adapted.) The Byzan-
tine Generals protocol [Lamport et al. 1982] relays messages so as to compensate for
ill-behaved nodes saying different things to different honest nodes, an approach that
cannot help when nodes depend on distinct ill-behaved nodes in their slices

What David is saying below ("transient") is that preemption doesn't cause permanent failure and the Sybil attack must be maintained in order to maintain preemption (preventing consensus from forming), but this isn't divergence because no decisions are made at all until the preemption ceases. But again the salient point is that preemption can go on indefinitely, because Sybil attacks have nearly no cost. This is the problem that PoW and LCR solve.

Note David's comment about using latency to force convergence and override preemption is incorrect for the similar reasons that I explained to monsterer about ambiguity around any specific time window. Nodes can't reach consistency about latency because propagation isn't proof.

So David achieved nothing! It is a long white paper of (correct theorems that achieve a result which is) bullshit.

Perpetual preemption is inevitable
in a purely asynchronous, deterministic system that survives node failure [Fischer
et al. 1985]. Fortunately, preemption is transient. It does not indicate node failure, be-
cause the system can recover at any time. Protocols can mitigate the problem through
randomness (if nodes keep choosing random candidate values until enough happen to
pick the same one [Ben-Or 1983; Bracha and Toueg 1985]) or through realistic assump-
tions about message latency [Dwork et al. 1988]. The latter is more practical when one
would like to limit execution time. Of course, only termination and not safety should
depend on message timing.

David is obviously a very smart guy. I am not stating anything that he doesn't already admit above. His design is not entirely without merit as a research exploration, but in terms of a reliable design for consensus in a crypto currency, it seems to be selling junk to speculators. Note the conspicuous disclaimer to protect his reputation:

Disclaimer

Professor Mazières’s contribution to this publication was as a paid consultant, and was
not part of his Stanford University duties or responsibilities.

Interestingly Stellar diverged when it was formely using Ripple's consensus protocol, as I stated upthread would be the case:

Stellar’s original system was modeled on one developed at the startup Ripple Labs, which is using it to help banks and other financial organizations move money faster (see “50 Smartest Companies 2014: Ripple Labs”).

Last year Stellar’s Ripple-consensus system unexpectedly “forked” into two networks that disagreed on which transactions were valid, and several hours’ worth of transactions got rolled back. Mazières says his new system avoids the part of the design that caused that problem.

And again the solution to Sybil attacks is to use trust. Thus Stellar new SCP consensus protocol is not a trustless design. And trust/reputation always devolves to centralization (do I need to explain why...think about what happens when trust fails, so trust migrates to those who are trusted by others longer/more ... remember we trust our government and we trust our central bank):

The new SCP system also relies on people running software that communicates over the Internet, but trust is not enforced through mining. Instead, each person running the software must identify a few other trusted participants to correctly apply the cryptographic rules used to validate transactions. Each instance of the software will recognize transactions only once a certain majority fraction of its trusted partners have also signed off. And the trust relationships are all public.

Mazières says the math shows that those rules will allow his system to reliably verify transactions much more quickly and with less energy.

Dan Boneh, a Stanford professor who did not work on Mazières’s system but has reviewed it, says that SCP avoids some security limitations of Bitcoin. “The security proposition of Bitcoin is that the people who invested in mining infrastructure can be trusted, but that may not be true,” he says. “Here I can choose for myself who to trust.”

[...]

Emin Gün Sirer, an associate professor at Cornell University, agrees that SCP seems to have advantages over Bitcoin. He says it also seems to resolve what he considers a gap in the Ripple protocol that led to Stellar’s “forking” problem last year. “The protocol looks sound,” says Sirer.

It is, however, theoretically possible for SCP to break down if participants choose trusted partners in such a way that there aren’t enough overlaps to tie the network into one whole—or if an attacker orchestrates that situation, says Sirer. Just how unlikely that is will depend on the actions of the people who adopt SCP. “This is a social thing, not a technical thing,” says Sirer.

Mazières acknowledges that possibility but says it’s unlikely. He imagines that certain large organizations, perhaps banks, will emerge to anchor the SCP network. Still, he acknowledges, “people are always a weak point.”

[1]P. Maymounkov and D. Mazieres. Kademlia: A
peer-to-peer information system based on the xor
metric. In Peer-to-Peer Systems, pages 53–65.
Springer, 2002.

P.S. Come-from-Beyond has been put on Ignore for spamming the thread. Afair, he is only the second or third person I have ever put in my forum Ignore list in my 3 years at this forum. He continued even after he was asked "please" numerous times to stop. Since he can't respect the desire to keep the S/N of the thread high, he must be ignored. If I had moderated the thread, I would be deleting his noise. But since I didn't, then my only recourse is to put him on ignore for his obnoxious and illogical behavior recently.

TPTB_need_war (OP)

View Profile
February 04, 2016, 10:22:24 PM

Stellar's SCP consensus algorithm can be preempted forever by a Sybil attack (or it can be centralized where users trust those well known banks and such):

https://bitcointalk.org/index.php?topic=1319681.msg13778110#msg13778110

monsterer
Legendary

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 08:10:33 AM
Last edit: February 05, 2016, 08:21:07 AM by monsterer

Does anyone know of any proof which says that convergence can be guaranteed without a block reward? I would like to hear more detail because it's my gut feeling that it cannot.
TPTB_need_war (OP)

View Profile
February 05, 2016, 09:08:21 AM
Last edit: February 06, 2016, 08:12:59 PM by TPTB_need_war

Does anyone know of any proof which says that convergence can be guaranteed without a block reward? I would like to hear more detail because it's my gut feeling that it cannot.

I am working on it for a white paper.

Details are upthread.

Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 [33] 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 43 44 45 46 47 48 49 50 51 52 53 54 55 56 57 58 59 60 61 62 63 64 »
  Print  

Jump to: