Bitcoin Forum
April 24, 2024, 04:58:33 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: S7 miner location - Suggestions please  (Read 860 times)
opmac (OP)

Activity: 588
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 07:01:10 PM

Hello

This is my situation

I currently own a S7 miner. I have a opportunity to run it with free electricity. Now my problem is getting a data feed to the miner.
The location it will be going to is a large storage room in a apartment building. I do work at this building so I have access to the room all the time.
There is plenty of power outlets there but I need a solution to get data to the miner.

Thoughts and suggestions would be great. Thank you.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
You get merit points when someone likes your post enough to give you some. And for every 2 merit points you receive, you can send 1 merit point to someone else!
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
hawkfish007

Activity: 895
Merit: 504

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 07:05:32 PM

Hello

This is my situation

I currently own a S7 miner. I have a opportunity to run it with free electricity. Now my problem is getting a data feed to the miner.
The location it will be going to is a large storage room in a apartment building. I do work at this building so I have access to the room all the time.
There is plenty of power outlets there but I need a solution to get data to the miner.

This or any access point will work in your situation.

http://www.amazon.com/TP-LINK-TL-WA801ND-Wireless-300Mbps-Repeater/dp/B004UBU8IE/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1452279887&sr=1-1&keywords=access+point

For quality risers, splitters or 133 CFM fans, please visit my eBay listings,
http://www.ebay.com/sch/hawkfish007/m.html?_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1
Entropize

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 08:48:20 PM

I've had great success with this:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00L0YLRUW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

since you don't need too much bandwidth you can get pretty far from the access point and still have enough communication to get work.

Got friends and family bugging you to explain Bitcoin? Point them to https://bitcoinfaq.info for some answers. I've built the site to have simple answers to complete newcomers and info on what is involved in getting started with mining.

I'm openly taking questions and updating the site with answers and walk-throughs.
alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 09:11:39 PM

I assume it's OK with whoever is paying the electric bill to add about $3/day in order to run the S7 (electricity isn't really "free" hardly anywhere).

You might want to find out if the room is really going work for your miner. As an experiment consider the following:

1) Buy a thermometer and a 1300W heater.
2) Put your thermometer in the room and check the temp after 24 hours. Leave it in
   place.
3) Plug in your heater and turn it on full blast. See if it trips something somewhere.
4) Return after 24 hours and re-check the temperature. Note the rise and temperature.
5) Repeat step #4 until the temperature stops rising.

Decide if it's OK to have it that hot there for the other items in the room, as well as your S7. If it's winter there now, consider what it might be like in the summer.

Will anyone else be annoyed by the sound of S7 when it's in there (i.e. other tenants, etc.).

Plenty of outlets doesn't indicate that the room is really meanet for a 24/7 1300W load heater to live there. There may be several outlets for convenience, not actual power draw.
opmac (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 09:12:43 PM

Thanks guys

I am pretty new to this stuff. So just I am clear I can go from the NETGEAR N300 Wi-Fi Range Extender to boost a wi-fi signal which will then be picked up by the  TP-Link
access point and then from the ethernet port on the access point into the s7 with a LAN cable?

Thanks

opmac (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 09:20:20 PM

So the room is pretty large and empty it is about a 20*10 room. I have checked out the power source and it will work. I am placing the unit inside a noise dampening box that I have bulit with ridge foam board insulation with two fans on the front to draw the warm air out and one fan in the back to draw cool air in.

Also after the room is beside another room that is even larger and the box with the unit inside will be placed close to that doorway. So the heat will disburse over a rather large area in total. Approx would be 600 square feet. A window also in there which can be open and has bars on it. Also the hydro is paid for by the building and I have already cleared it with the super of the building.

Entropize

Activity: 61
Merit: 10

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 09:28:49 PM

If there is already wireless that you have access to in the area, you plug the n300 into the wall and configure it with a laptop to pick up the wireless signal, then you plug the s7 into the n300 with an ethernet cable and you're mining. Once the n300 is set to connect to the wireless network it's ethernet becomes passthrough as if you plugged the s7 into the router directly. I was assuming that connectivity was your issue but after running a few s7s I'll tell you that knowing what else is plugged into that circuit is really important, you don't want to trip the breaker which is a real possibility. You're also going to want to have a plan on what to do with the hot air coming out of the s7, there's plenty of it. Right now it's around 30 degrees here and i've got an s4 pointing it's exhaust at an open window (not the most efficient system, I know, I'm getting ducting and fixing that this weekend) and that room is still about 15 degrees hotter than the rest of the house and the s7s are way more serious.

Got friends and family bugging you to explain Bitcoin? Point them to https://bitcoinfaq.info for some answers. I've built the site to have simple answers to complete newcomers and info on what is involved in getting started with mining.

I'm openly taking questions and updating the site with answers and walk-throughs.
opmac (OP)

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 11:45:32 PM

Ya I may not be able to get a wireless connection from there. I am also looking for any other alternative ideas or solutions if I can't.

alh
Legendary

Activity: 1843
Merit: 1050

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 09:40:26 AM

You could consider a "cell service provider" for Internet access though that would hinder your profit considerably I expect. Free electricity, lost to costly Internet.
opmac (OP)

View Profile
January 09, 2016, 02:53:06 PM

Thanks

alh

I was not sure if that would be a option or not. I guess I would have to have a cell phone going then tether the phone to a laptop for the data then Lan line into the miner?

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 01:18:05 AM

Hello

This is my situation

My biggest question is do you have permission to run it in the room at your work?   Second one would be what kinda electric outlet's you have in there. 

But if you don't have permission from your work do not do it, just is not worth the risk.  On electric outlet a S7 takes a lot of electricity a standard 110/120 it will use up most of it.  Also if 110/120 you will not be able to use some of the server PSU's like bitmains.  So I see power as a possible issue aswell.
opmac (OP)

View Profile
January 10, 2016, 12:50:05 PM

Yes it is ok to run the s7 at the building. It has been cleared with the super of the building. And the outlets pass for what will be needed to run the machine.

opmac (OP)

View Profile
January 11, 2016, 01:56:39 AM

I will post a picture of my s7 noise dampening box when it is completed with overall results.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: