Bitcoin Forum
May 02, 2024, 05:24:16 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Warning: One or more bitcointalk.org users have reported that they strongly believe that the creator of this topic is a scammer. (Login to see the detailed trust ratings.) While the bitcointalk.org administration does not verify such claims, you should proceed with extreme caution.
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Holding on to Margin Positions  (Read 1075 times)
biggbox (OP)

Activity: 448
Merit: 250

View Profile WWW
December 31, 2015, 12:56:41 PM

I am curious what is the average time you've held on to your margin positions in one trade? What is the shortest and what is the longest time you had?

There are other factors which affects the time you hold your margin positions such as interest costs. What is your strategy?

1Cr9iLWm2dSGH8259VQd2wDzpkR63jGVjW

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you want to be a moderator, report many posts with accuracy. You will be noticed.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 02:03:08 AM

Compare profit with cost, then see if the position is worth taking.
equator
Legendary

Activity: 1190
Merit: 1002

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 10:57:42 AM

ya that is correct holding for how much long is not important the point is how much profit margin you are getting for long holding,

last time i bought at $260 and holded for around more than 5 or 6 months and sold it at around $450 to $480 range, so it was double profit nearly,
biggbox (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 02, 2016, 04:15:25 PM

ya that is correct holding for how much long is not important the point is how much profit margin you are getting for long holding,

last time i bought at $260 and holded for around more than 5 or 6 months and sold it at around $450 to $480 range, so it was double profit nearly,

The exchange allows you to hold your margin position for 6 months? I never tried to hold a position that long. Mine sharing what exchange is that? Smiley

Patatas
Legendary

Activity: 1750
Merit: 1115

Providing AI/ChatGpt Services - PM!

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 04:17:56 PM

Use a formula to calculate the profit/loss/break-even analysis .As long as I'm having the margin of sell value greater than bought value regardless of the market value I do the trades.However for any reason I'm 30 or more percent down the buying value I hold on to it.
Quickseller
Copper Member
Legendary

Activity: 2870
Merit: 2298

View Profile
January 02, 2016, 04:37:51 PM

You should bear in mind that you need to pay interest on the USD/BTC (whichever applies) that you borrow to enter your leveraged position. This has a number of consequences:
-This means that the price of bitcoin needs to increase a little bit just for you to break even. So if you are paying 6% per year on your position, and you hold the leveraged position for 6 months, and you borrowed $1,290 using 1 BTC as collateral to buy 3 BTC, and the price stays the same for the entire 6 month period, then you will have paid $38.70 in interest, and the value of your position would be 0.91 BTC
-The price that will cause you to receive a margin call will increase over time, meaning that if you have a leveraged position outstanding long enough, you could receive a margin call even if the price of BTC has increased.

AFAIK, there are no limits as to how long you can leave a margin position outstanding (on bitfinex).

Leveraged positions are designed to be short term speculation tools, and in the past I have held leveraged positions no longer then a week.
arbitrage001
Legendary

Activity: 1067

View Profile
January 03, 2016, 02:57:04 PM

You should bear in mind that you need to pay interest on the USD/BTC (whichever applies) that you borrow to enter your leveraged position. This has a number of consequences:
-This means that the price of bitcoin needs to increase a little bit just for you to break even. So if you are paying 6% per year on your position, and you hold the leveraged position for 6 months, and you borrowed $1,290 using 1 BTC as collateral to buy 3 BTC, and the price stays the same for the entire 6 month period, then you will have paid $38.70 in interest, and the value of your position would be 0.91 BTC
-The price that will cause you to receive a margin call will increase over time, meaning that if you have a leveraged position outstanding long enough, you could receive a margin call even if the price of BTC has increased.

AFAIK, there are no limits as to how long you can leave a margin position outstanding (on bitfinex).

Leveraged positions are designed to be short term speculation tools, and in the past I have held leveraged positions no longer then a week.

Well said.

Trading in general is a dangerous game to play and most traders eventually lose most if not all of their money and not limited to "leveraged position" alone.
adamleesandy

Activity: 1
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 04, 2016, 11:08:45 AM

Holding period may not vary margin but when yours holding price rises then you calculate the cost and the same time,interest for hoding then you get some value then compare it with the price is it gives you a good margin or else.Trading is not at all a dangerous but be careful to choose the trade option and the company.I is it gives you a good profit or loss you should be in concious.

binary options trading bot
Mieehayii

Activity: 490
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 08:40:00 AM

hold hold hold, I hate hold, it's time to sold all

███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀███▀████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▄▀▄█████
███████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████▀▄█▄▀████

███▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▀▀▀████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀███████████▀▀▀██▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀████████▀▀▀█████
███          ▀███   ████████   ██    ▀█████████   ██           ▀████   █████
███   █████▄   ██   ████████   ██      ▀███████   ██   ██████▄   ███   █████
███   ██████   ██   ████████   ██   █▄   ▀█████   ██   ████████   ██   █████
███   █████▀   ██   ████████   ██   ███▄   ▀███   ██   ████████   ██   █████
███          ▄███   ▀██████▀   ██   █████▄   ▀█   ██   ███████▀   ██   █████
███   ▄▄▄▄▄███████   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ███   ███████▄      ██   ▀▀▀▀▀▀   ▄███   █████
███   █████████████▄        ▄████   █████████▄    ██        ▄▄▄█████   █████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████████
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
.Any Store Can Buy, Sell and Accept Cryptocurrency.██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
██
[[[ Whitepaper    Twitter     Facebook]]]
[[[  Telegram      Medium     Youtube ]]]
biggbox (OP)

View Profile WWW
January 08, 2016, 01:00:06 PM

Thanks @Quickseller. I do not have time to monitor 24/7. Currently looking at trading engines too. But most trading engines do not support margin. So its basically sell/hold/sell/hold..

yohanip

Activity: 118
Merit: 100

A Programmer

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 03:47:55 PM

going short on bitcoin i see
bhokor
Legendary

Activity: 966

View Profile
January 08, 2016, 03:53:36 PM

I never have Margins positions opened more than one or two week, for me it is only interesting when bitcoin volatility is high and usually it do not happen too often, when volatility back to normality again i always close my margins positions
avw1982

Activity: 644
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 12, 2016, 07:28:41 PM

I never have Margins positions opened more than one or two week, for me it is only interesting when bitcoin volatility is high and usually it do not happen too often, when volatility back to normality again i always close my margins positions

Even I don't have to find the margin position of the bitcoin and all. I use hold the bitcoin whenever I can to hold it. Else other time If I need to get any emergency money that I will sell that. Don't wanna think too much about margin position and price.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: