Bitcoin Forum
March 19, 2024, 02:03:44 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 26.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bad fan bearing - Sapphire HD 5850 Xtreme  (Read 4300 times)
phelix (OP)
Legendary

Activity: 1708
Merit: 1019

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 03:16:24 PM

Today I noticed the fan speed drop in one of my 5850s. When I put the miners to rest and the fan speed went down to idle speeds it made a loud buzzing noise and quite some vibration.

The card is not even two weeks old. I wonder if it happened because I ran it too hot, maybe 85°C.

With the card taken out I can feel additional resistance on rotating the fan by finger. With a strong push it even starts to vibrate.

I took off the fan and removed the sticker on the stationary part, trying to get some motor oil in there. There are some groove arround the center but I am not sure if it got to the bearing.

The noise seems to be better but even at 100% the fan runs more than a thousand rpms slower than the others. I really hope it is only the fan and nothing worse??

Of course I have it running again with the card underclocked and undervolted until I get a new fan. I will try to get one from Sapphire by warranty but sure will not send in the card.

Anyone ever experienced something like that? Recomendations for a replacement fan?

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
"In a nutshell, the network works like a distributed timestamp server, stamping the first transaction to spend a coin. It takes advantage of the nature of information being easy to spread but hard to stifle." -- Satoshi
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
Chucksta

Activity: 168
Merit: 100

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 03:28:10 PM

You should've returned it. Definitely faulty.
tiberiandusk

Activity: 575
Merit: 500

The North Remembers

View Profile WWW
May 28, 2011, 03:33:13 PM

Is it full of cat hair? Tongue

Bitcoin Auction House http://www.BitBid.net BTC - 1EwfBVC6BwA6YeqcYZmm3htwykK3MStW6N | LTC - LdBpJJHj4WSAsUqaTbwyJQFiG1tVjo4Uys Don't get Goxed.
cschmitz

Activity: 98
Merit: 10

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 04:22:13 PM

Today I noticed the fan speed drop in one of my 5850s. When I put the miners to rest and the fan speed went down to idle speeds it made a loud buzzing noise and quite some vibration.

The card is not even two weeks old. I wonder if it happened because I ran it too hot, maybe 85°C.

With the card taken out I can feel additional resistance on rotating the fan by finger. With a strong push it even starts to vibrate.

I took off the fan and removed the sticker on the stationary part, trying to get some motor oil in there. There are some groove arround the center but I am not sure if it got to the bearing.

The noise seems to be better but even at 100% the fan runs more than a thousand rpms slower than the others. I really hope it is only the fan and nothing worse??

Of course I have it running again with the card underclocked and undervolted until I get a new fan. I will try to get one from Sapphire by warranty but sure will not send in the card.

Anyone ever experienced something like that? Recomendations for a replacement fan?

I had exactly the same issue. I set the fan manually to 100% since it seemed to work. The fan died 2 days later it seems, and with it the card. It is RMA'ed now. I assure you the card will not be able to throttle down in time when the fan suddenly dies while mining, so either replace the fan or RMA it. I chose to not RMA it initially due to prefering mining outcome, its all taking chances.

proud 5.x gh/s miner. tips welcome at 1A132BPnYMrgYdDaRyLpRrLQU4aG1WLRtd
phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
May 28, 2011, 05:07:24 PM

Is it full of cat hair? Tongue
that's what I had hoped for at first =)

thanks for your input. I will replace it somehow asap. I really do not want to kill the card and I had not imagined that could happen so easy - a fan can die every day. I have a big 140cm fan in front of the card battery that should help a little and a temperature protection script so I will take the risk for a couple of days but closely monitor the fan speed.

phelix (OP)
Legendary

View Profile
June 20, 2011, 08:14:50 AM

continued on http://forum.bitcoin.org/index.php?topic=18111.0
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: