Bitcoin Forum
September 18, 2018, 04:36:48 PM *
News: Latest stable version of Bitcoin Core: 0.16.2  [Torrent].

Home   Help Search Donate Login Register  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why no bitcoin mining farms in Sahara?  (Read 1397 times)
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 02:38:45 AM

Other problems are minor if people really want it. The only major problem will be the higher maintenance cost in cooling the miners.
Sahara could really be a powerhouse of renewable energy but is not a suitable place for mining farms.
We can see large mining farms in cooler part of the world like China, Russia, north Europe.

This threadd is one that at least got a smile when I read it.  The anwser is in the post title.  It's missing the "desert" part.  Yes night might be cold but day you are fighting being in a desert.

There are far better places to build at with cheap electricity and not in a desert.  This is one of the last locations I would look at for hosting.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Make a difference with your Ether.
Donate Ether for the greater good.
SPRING.WETRUST.IO
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction. Advertise here.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
Lutzow

Activity: 728
Merit: 500

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 06:35:37 AM

Other problems are minor if people really want it. The only major problem will be the higher maintenance cost in cooling the miners.
Sahara could really be a powerhouse of renewable energy but is not a suitable place for mining farms.
We can see large mining farms in cooler part of the world like China, Russia, north Europe.

This threadd is one that at least got a smile when I read it.  The anwser is in the post title.  It's missing the "desert" part.  Yes night might be cold but day you are fighting being in a desert.

There are far better places to build at with cheap electricity and not in a desert.  This is one of the last locations I would look at for hosting.

Better smile would be to put the rigs inside a container under the sand then use the solar and wind energy to create electricity that will cool off the container with strategically created exhaust. Then at night, there should be a way to let the cool outside air to let it do its thing on the miners. Lots of effort though but could be a possibility to some but for me better yet bring it to Sweden Smiley

notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1470
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 06:39:58 AM

Better smile would be to put the rigs inside a container under the sand then use the solar and wind energy to create electricity that will cool off the container with strategically created exhaust. Then at night, there should be a way to let the cool outside air to let it do its thing on the miners. Lots of effort though but could be a possibility to some but for me better yet bring it to Sweden Smiley

Also you would be dealing with sand.... imagine trying to keep big fan's clean and not allow that stuff in data center.   Sounds like a lot of filters to prevent sand... and a lot of cleaning over and over as sand comes with being in desert.

So even at night might not be so easy with the sand going all over.  I think it's a pretty bad idea.
jt byte

Activity: 840
Merit: 500

ARAW

View Profile
January 15, 2016, 09:51:51 AM

Lol You would lose all your eanings to proper cool your miners.
Sure energy is cheap, but within 1 day your miners will be dead if you don't cool them.

It's way to hot there.

.ARAW.
The Decentralised
Payment
for E-Commerce Ecosystem
███████████████████████████
██████████████▀▀▀▀▀████████
████████████░░░░░░░████████
███████████░░░░▄███████████
███████████░░░░████████████
████████░░░░░░░░░░░████████
████████▄▄▄░░░░▄▄▄█████████