Bitcoin Forum
April 28, 2024, 04:50:27 PM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Generating Bitcoins with your video card (OpenCL/CUDA)  (Read 135330 times)
nelisky
Legendary

Activity: 1540
Merit: 1001

View Profile
September 14, 2010, 11:07:09 PM

Or everyone could do the obvious thing and donate to me to open source it.  Why do you find my work so worthwhile to crack, yet you won't help the community by donating to open source it?  You do realize that you can crack it all you want, but without the source code you'll get stuck with an outdated client very fast.  I'm on the verge of releasing an OpenCL enabled build as well.  Do you really want to be the person who changed my mind about releasing it and providing enhancements to the CUDA version?  I'm sure the community will let you know how they feel about this.

Yes, the community prefers to work with people that have the open source mindset unless there's no expertise in it, or the closed source is amazingly better that all others. But hey, that's just me Smiley

Your code may be great, and your heart in the right place when you say "convince me to open source", but the paragraph you just wrote spells out "either you pay me or I'm not releasing the hostages". The pun regarding ransomware is well intended, but in a satirical and well intentioned manner! I told you, I understand perfectly what you are trying to achieve, we are all going for the same thing. It's the route you chose that I'm not comfortable with.

View Profile Personal Message (Offline)

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
If you see garbage posts (off-topic, trolling, spam, no point, etc.), use the "report to moderator" links. All reports are investigated, though you will rarely be contacted about your reports.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator

Ignore
Reply with quote  #2

Report to moderator
LZ
Legendary

Activity: 1722
Merit: 1072

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
September 14, 2010, 11:09:58 PM

Or everyone could do the obvious thing and donate to me to open source it.
Why do you find my work so worthwhile to crack, yet you won't help the
community by donating to open source it?
If I will get enough bitcoins, I will fix SendMoney() so users can safe send bitcoins.
But also I will give all donated to me bitcoins if you will agree to open source code.

You do realize that you can crack it all you want, but without the source
code you'll get stuck with an outdated client very fast.  I'm on the verge
of releasing an OpenCL enabled build as well.  Do you really want to be
the person who changed my mind about releasing it and providing
enhancements to the CUDA version?
I am very interested in opensource OpenCL version. I hope you will release it soon.

My OpenPGP fingerprint: 5099EB8C0F2E68C63B4ECBB9A9D0993E04143362
puddinpop

Activity: 103
Merit: 17

View Profile
September 14, 2010, 11:20:46 PM

Or everyone could do the obvious thing and donate to me to open source it.
Why do you find my work so worthwhile to crack, yet you won't help the
community by donating to open source it?
If I will get enough bitcoins, I will fix SendMoney() so users can safe send bitcoins.
But also I will give all donated to me bitcoins if you will agree to open source code.

You do realize that you can crack it all you want, but without the source
code you'll get stuck with an outdated client very fast.  I'm on the verge
of releasing an OpenCL enabled build as well.  Do you really want to be
the person who changed my mind about releasing it and providing
enhancements to the CUDA version?
I'm very interested in opensource OpenCL version. And I hope you will release it soon.

I won't deal with those who openly attack my work and provide cracks.  Remove your link and promise not to do it again and we'll talk.

LZ
Legendary

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
September 14, 2010, 11:33:29 PM

I won't deal with those who openly attack my work and provide cracks.
Remove your link and promise not to do it again and we'll talk.
Your build is under free MIT license, so I did not do anything wrong/illegal.
I need some time to think about your proposal. I will lose influence on you.

puddinpop

View Profile
September 14, 2010, 11:44:49 PM

I won't deal with those who openly attack my work and provide cracks.
Remove your link and promise not to do it again and we'll talk.
Your build is under free MIT license, so I did not do anything wrong/illegal.
I need some time to think about your proposal. I will lose influence on you.

I suggest you reread this portion of the readme.txt:
Code:
This is a Windows 32 bit CUDA enabled build of the bitcoin client, based on SVN
revision 153.  By using this release, you agree to send the author,
1HZNsUqQxKVLmfPfCAzLwrnVDzx8CxwxnM, 5 bitcoins every time you generate a block
while using the CUDA bitcoin miner.  This payment will be automatically sent
when a block is generated.  If you do not agree to this, you must not run the
client or attempt to modify it in any way to circumvent this.

LZ
Legendary

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 12:00:25 AM
Last edit: October 23, 2010, 10:06:23 AM by lzsaver

Okay. If I "agree to this" so I have the right to "attempt to modify". Good luck, puddinpop! Wink

puddinpop

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 12:09:03 AM

Okey. If I "agree to this" so I have the right to "attempt to modify". Good luck, puddinpop! Wink

You missed the point that my modifications are not MIT licensed, so you do not have the right to distribute any derivative work.

LZ
Legendary

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 12:15:31 AM
Last edit: July 16, 2020, 10:20:08 PM by LZ

Immanuel

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 12:17:37 AM

Haha, he should fix that.

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
puddinpop

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 12:23:27 AM
Last edit: September 15, 2010, 12:35:08 AM by puddinpop

No matter how hard you try, it doesn't change the fact that my modifications are not MIT licensed, nor do you have the right to alter and redistribute them.

LZ
Legendary

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 12:30:10 AM

We do not live in parallel universes, do we? But now I am not sure.

Immanuel

Activity: 73
Merit: 10

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 12:46:46 AM

No matter how hard you try, it doesn't change the fact that my modifications are not MIT licensed, nor do you have the right to alter and redistribute them.
Unless he lives in a nation that doesn't enforce intellectual property rights.

"I swear by my life, and my love of it, that I will never live for the sake of another man, nor ask another man to live for mine."
puddinpop

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 12:54:08 AM

His geographic location only has a bearing on his rights under the license, not the license itself.  One license doesn't magically become a different license based on where you are, unless he really is in that parallel universe.

nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 01:00:15 AM

His geographic location only has a bearing on his rights under the license, not the license itself.  One license doesn't magically become a different license based on where you are, unless he really is in that parallel universe.

Are we really discussing intelectual property licenses now? I mean, really???

There's this friend of mine, who I greatly admire, that says that "the world is not made of laws, but of people". When we need to hide behind license agreements and we didn't even leave the neighborhood, something is really rotten. While I must say that puddinpop has a point, he can actually licence sw based on MIT core in whatever or whichever way he feels good about, I just think that making a point of it goes to show a bit about his education towards open source and its beliefs.

So, in my mind, we get a 10000 BC bounty for him, he makes us a pretty opencl version and then states he found a way to increase hashing, 10 fold... but now he wants 10 fold the bounty! I'm off this thread now, I hear my conscience calling me.
puddinpop

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 01:11:39 AM

Are we really discussing intelectual property licenses now? I mean, really???

There's this friend of mine, who I greatly admire, that says that "the world is not made of laws, but of people". When we need to hide behind license agreements and we didn't even leave the neighborhood, something is really rotten. While I must say that puddinpop has a point, he can actually licence sw based on MIT core in whatever or whichever way he feels good about, I just think that making a point of it goes to show a bit about his education towards open source and its beliefs.

So, in my mind, we get a 10000 BC bounty for him, he makes us a pretty opencl version and then states he found a way to increase hashing, 10 fold... but now he wants 10 fold the bounty! I'm off this thread now, I hear my conscience calling me.

If there would be a 10000 BTC bounty I would open source it right now.  You understand I spent a considerable amount of time and effort creating this and want a return on my investment.  People cracking it and nit picking about perceived license issues when it is clearly not open source just makes me not want to bother with releasing anything.  Why should I bother if people don't respect it?  Anyway, like I said I'd release all the source given a large bounty, and If I discover some magic way to increase the hashing rate in the future (not likely) I would not want any more.

LZ
Legendary

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 01:25:46 AM

The Civil Code of the Russian Federation / Chapter 70. Copyright.

Article 1280.
Free Reproduction of computer programs and databases. Decompilation of Computer Programs.
1. Person lawfully in possession of a copy of a computer program or database instance (the user) may,
without the permission of the author or copyright holder and without payment of additional remuneration:
1) make changes to the computer program or database solely for the purpose of their operation on the
user's device and to perform any actions necessary for the functioning of such a program or database
according to their function, including storing in computer memory (one computer or a network), and to
make correct obvious errors, unless otherwise provided by contract with the copyright holder;
2) make a copy of a computer program or database provided that the copy is intended solely for archiving
purposes or for replacement of a lawfully acquired copy where such copy has been lost, destroyed or
unusable; at the same time a copy of a computer program or database may not be used for purposes other
than those specified in paragraph 1 of this paragraph, and must be destroyed if possession of the copy of
such a program or database cease to be lawful.
2. Person lawfully in possession of a copy of a computer program may, without the consent of the
rightholder and without payment of additional remuneration: to study, investigate or test the functioning
of such a program in order to determine the ideas and principles which underlie any element of a computer
program through any action under subparagraph 1 paragraph 1 of this article.
3. Person lawfully in possession of a copy of a computer program may, without the consent of the
rightholder and without payment of additional compensation: to reproduce and convert the object code
into source code (decompile the computer program) or by third parties to carry out these actions, if they
are necessary to achieve interoperability independently developed that person's computer program with
other programs that can interact with the decompiled program, under the following conditions:
1) the information necessary to achieve interoperability, has not previously been available to that person
from other sources;
2) these actions are carried out in respect of only those parts of the decompilation of computer programs,
are necessary to achieve interoperability;
3) information obtained by decompilation may only be used to achieve the ability to interact independently
created computer programs with other programs that can be transferred to other persons, except where
necessary to achieve the ability to interact independently created computer programs with other programs
and can not be used to develop a computer program, a type essentially comparable to the decompiled
computer program, or for any other act that violates the exclusive right to the computer program.
4. Application of the provisions stipulated in this Article shall not cause undue damage to normal use
of a computer program or database, and should not unreasonably prejudice the legitimate interests
of the author or copyright holder.

aceat64

Activity: 307
Merit: 102

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 01:39:18 AM

Lzsaver, you are violating puddinpop's copyright at least when you distribute the modified binary. I suggest that you (or a moderator) remove the link to the cracked binary.

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't think anyone should use a closed source Bitcoin client and I would really like GPU generation to be open source. So I will put my money where my mouth is, I will donate 1,000 BTC to whoever releases the source for a GPU (CUDA or OpenCL) client that is cross-platform once the code has been vetted by people smarter then me.
LZ
Legendary

P2P Cryptocurrency

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 01:50:16 AM

I am not violating puddinpop's copyright because his build is licensed under the MIT.

nelisky
Legendary

View Profile
September 15, 2010, 02:13:57 AM

Lzsaver, you are violating puddinpop's copyright at least when you distribute the modified binary. I suggest that you (or a moderator) remove the link to the cracked binary.

Edit: Just to be clear, I don't think anyone should use a closed source Bitcoin client and I would really like GPU generation to be open source. So I will put my money where my mouth is, I will donate 1,000 BTC to whoever releases the source for a GPU (CUDA or OpenCL) client that is cross-platform once the code has been vetted by people smarter then me.

woot, finally someone steps up! I wish I had the time, as it's a ton of fun to optimize code like this. But to be taken seriously you'll need a trusted wallet keeper to collect all donations, serving as escrow. I could make mine (assuming a CUDA only solution) work for linux and mac in a couple of days, but my employers wouldn't be too happy about it!

Windows? I have no idea, would need to set up a build machine and that I'm not looking forward to :p

But anyone wants to pick up where I left?
Anonymous

September 15, 2010, 02:27:57 AM

I can provide a neutral escrow service for you as I dont generate coins so I dont have a dog in this fight, except the need to ensure the network is stable and secure. Smiley

I believe developers should be rewarded for their work. What is the target we are shooting for here?

If people agree I will setup a mybitcoin account and post the address.
Pages: « 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 »  All
  Print  

Jump to: