Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 01:46:36 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Macgyver Mining Rigs! (hodgepodge mining hardware / cooling systems, etc)  (Read 15797 times)
flyswatta

Activity: 100
Merit: 10

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 07:07:03 PM

100F here in central Texas in the afternoon.  
1.5Ghash/sec was getting a little warm, so I had to improvise a cooling solution

Wtf is that?! :O

Please explain more

added another pic.

3 boxes, on a wire rack, sitting above a portable air conditioner (vents via hose in window)
plastic is to duct the hot/cold air directly into the AC unit.

Awesome!  I'm frying in the Texas heat myself - had to move my 'garage rig' to a room the the house.  What's the air conditioner costing you to run? 
According to NIST and ECRYPT II, the cryptographic algorithms used in Bitcoin are expected to be strong until at least 2030. (After that, it will not be too difficult to transition to different algorithms.)
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
BiggieJohn

Activity: 70

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 07:14:49 PM

Awesome!  I'm frying in the Texas heat myself - had to move my 'garage rig' to a room the the house.  What's the air conditioner costing you to run?  

it's about 1000 watts, runs constantly from noon-8pm, cycles during the night, 59Kw/h in the last 64 hours (Kill-a-watt meter),
so at .095/KWh * 59KW/h = $5.60 not too bad, I'm generating about 2.5BTC per day, so it's an acceptable cost of mining.
running the central air constantly to keep the room cool would cost at least 3x more.

PMC-1A11eCF2Rzqzy4PCrV9jabYv1fvYfmN2yc
Doge-D8KLtphcSB3qAkfjBdvceEMj9TJUiJrFd3
flyswatta

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:28:45 PM

Interesting.  I almost wonder if it would be worth it to drywall around it to get better efficiency. Nothing fancy just stand up 4 walls and a roof.  Put in a hinged 'access panel' (don't know if it would be worth putting in a door). I'm talking mcguyver style - no fancy studs or anything.  Just drywall, corner connectors and screws holding it all together..  You could probably do it for less than $50.  I bet it would pay for itself in two weeks, especially if the value of BTC drops.  

Edit:  I bet it would cut the noise too, but you may not care if it's in the garage.
BiggieJohn

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 08:38:02 PM

Interesting.  I almost wonder if it would be worth it to drywall around it to get better efficiency. Nothing fancy just stand up 4 walls and a roof.  Put in a hinged 'access panel' (don't know if it would be worth putting in a door). I'm talking mcguyver style - no fancy studs or anything.  Just drywall, corner connectors and screws holding it all together..  You could probably do it for less than $50.  I bet it would pay for itself in two weeks, especially if the value of BTC drops.  

Edit:  I bet it would cut the noise too, but you may not care if it's in the garage.

on that idea, I would go  with thin plywood, or paneling rather then drywall, easier to screw together

Grike_SixEcho (OP)

Activity: 36
Merit: 0

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 09:51:11 PM

3 boxes, on a wire rack, sitting above a portable air conditioner (vents via hose in window)

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!
Slasklitta

Activity: 53

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 10:52:08 PM

1.5Ghash/sec was getting a little warm, so I had to improvise a cooling solution

http://i1133.photobucket.com/albums/m584/biggiejohn/th_IMG_20110607_225345.jpg

Please explain more

added another pic.

Cool! Or is it?

How much did the temperature drop?
BiggieJohn

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:48:35 PM

Please explain more

added another pic.

Cool! Or is it?

How much did the temperature drop?

The problem was running the central air constantly to keep the room cool enough was costing me about $3/hr, this costs me about .10/hr

darkpandora

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 10, 2011, 11:53:16 PM

Cheesy

K U R D I  S T A N
K U R D I S T A N
K U R D I S T A N
flyswatta

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 01:47:13 AM

awesome! are those exhaust or intake fans on top?
Maxxx

Merit: 11

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 02:40:05 AM

darkpandora, that is a cool idea. Let us know how it works. Like the bottom I'm guessing are intake?

Time is money. This means that if you have spare time, you can use it to make money.

Modular, open, and stack-able miner case.
darkpandora

Activity: 98

View Profile
June 11, 2011, 11:44:59 AM

darkpandora, that is a cool idea. Let us know how it works. Like the bottom I'm guessing are intake?

the tow bottom fans are intake with dust filters, the four top fans are outtake. and the exhaust are intake, cool air from outside. works very well.
my temps are at 67 at night and 70 at midday, its summer here in Norway, in winter it will get very very cold Smiley. and the overclock profile is on profile 1 on my 6990 (880Mhz).

K U R D I  S T A N
K U R D I S T A N
K U R D I S T A N
Grike_SixEcho (OP)

Activity: 36

View Profile
June 12, 2011, 04:27:57 PM

And to think that I worry when my R5770s hit 60C. (it's 90F here almost daily - hot as balls) But then again, you're mining an order of magnitude faster than me Tongue
Pages: « 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: