Bitcoin Forum
April 25, 2024, 11:51:40 AM *
News: Latest Bitcoin Core release: 27.0 [Torrent]

Home   Help Search Login Register More  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Antminee S3+ Asic Status X Problem  (Read 738 times)
caffeine93 (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 04:23:02 PM

A friend of mine has a problem with his Antminer S3+, apparently, one of his fans died. After a few weeks, he noticed some "X" on ASIC Status of his first board, then the next day all of his first board was full of "X" followed by the second board getting all "X". Now, I'm not sure exactly is there any overheating protection in the device or how it works.
So, do you think the board actually got completely fried and dead, or it is that the "overheating protection" jumps in and turns off the chips because the device can't be cooled properly with only one fan?

Would be very thankful for any info   Cheesy
In order to achieve higher forum ranks, you need both activity points and merit points.
Advertised sites are not endorsed by the Bitcoin Forum. They may be unsafe, untrustworthy, or illegal in your jurisdiction.
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 04:24:46 PM

A friend of mine has a problem with his Antminer S3+, apparently, one of his fans died. After a few weeks, he noticed some "X" on ASIC Status of his first board, then the next day all of his first board was full of "X" followed by the second board getting all "X". Now, I'm not sure exactly is there any overheating protection in the device or how it works.
So, do you think the board actually got completely fried and dead, or it is that the "overheating protection" jumps in and turns off the chips because the device can't be cooled properly with only one fan?

The overheat protection, if its on the S3, would stop the hashboard from running, not kill the chips. And "cooled properly" what temps are the S3 at? I'm pretty sure the single fan should be able to keep it cool enough, although it would spin very fast/loud.

Did he power cycle his S3? Thats usually the first thing you do at any first sign of trouble.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
███████████████████████████████
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
pinhead666

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 05:10:04 PM

One fan is enough to cool S3+, it runs faster ofcourse. Overheat protection works. If temperature is shown right in gui, protection works. One miner showed 0 degrees and fans didn't spin at all. It overheated so much that cables were about to melt. After cooling down I tried it and hash-boards still worked ok.
notlist3d
Legendary

Activity: 1456
Merit: 1000

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 06:37:11 PM

The overheat protection, if its on the S3, would stop the hashboard from running, not kill the chips. And "cooled properly" what temps are the S3 at? I'm pretty sure the single fan should be able to keep it cool enough, although it would spin very fast/loud.

Did he power cycle his S3? Thats usually the first thing you do at any first sign of trouble.

I would first try to powering the entire machine off then on via PSU.  Not through GUI but the PSU power switch.  That should do it  on most, some S3's require a little bit of watching others are much better.

What PSU are you using?  Plugged into 2 or 4 PCIe slots?
caffeine93 (OP)

Activity: 41
Merit: 0

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 07:27:43 PM

Well, I'm not sure really how he got it all connected. He said that he has never overclocked the device and that it was running fine for a while, then after losing one fan, a few weeks later, the X's started appearing and after 3 days, both boards have all X's ever since  Huh

I typically deal with electronics so he asked me if I know what could have caused it. Now, I don't have one myself, so I don't know how often do these things die all of sudden? Are these ASIC chips very sensitive to voltage changes or anything  Embarrassed
VirosaGITS
Legendary

Activity: 1302
Merit: 1068

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 10:18:16 PM

Well, I'm not sure really how he got it all connected. He said that he has never overclocked the device and that it was running fine for a while, then after losing one fan, a few weeks later, the X's started appearing and after 3 days, both boards have all X's ever since  Huh

I typically deal with electronics so he asked me if I know what could have caused it. Now, I don't have one myself, so I don't know how often do these things die all of sudden? Are these ASIC chips very sensitive to voltage changes or anything  Embarrassed

I think your friend has waited a long time, letting it run when it had a problem, before requesting help. But if you can give us 0 information about what he did, is doing and did not do, we cannot give you any information to help either.

101 Troubleshooting is to power cycle it fully, see if it change anything. Then underclock it, then try a different PSU. Depending on what happen, we can possibly get an idea of what is going on with the Unit.

▄▄█████▄▄
                    ▐████████████▄
                   ▄█▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██████▌
             █▄  ▄█▀           ▀▀█
              ▀▀▀███▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄   █▄   ▄

▄▀▀         ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀██▀▀▀
         ▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄ ▄▀▀▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄█▄▄▄▄
         ████▒▒███    ████▒▒████▌
    ▀█▄ ▀
███████▄ ███▒▒███      ██▒▒█████       ▀█▄
 ███████ ▀█▒▒████     ▄█▒▒█████▀         ▀█ ▄  ▄▄
  ██████  ▌▀▀█████▄▄▄███████▀▀            ███▄███▌
 █████████  █████▀▀█▀▀██████▌             ██████▀
 ▀█████████ ███▄  ███   ▐███▌ ▄██       ▄█████▀
     ▀▀    ▀▀███████████████▄▄████▄▄▄▄█▀▀▀▀▀
               ▀▀▀███▀▀▀      ██████▄
                               ▀▀▀▀▀

▄█████████████████████████████▄
█████████▀▀█████████▀▀█████████
███████ ▄▀▀         ▀▀▄ ███████
██████                   ██████
█████▌     ▄▄     ▄▄     ▐█████
█████     ████   ████     █████
█████      ▀▀     ▀▀      █████
█████▄   ▀▄▄▄     ▄▄▄▀   ▄█████
████████▄▄▄█████████▄▄▄████████
 ▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
█ █
pinhead666

Activity: 265
Merit: 250

View Profile
January 24, 2016, 10:48:36 PM

Makes me wonder if the fan is really dead or is there a problem with psu/hashboard? Swap fans or power not working fan direct to test it.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: